WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR Blue Discontinued

Boolit Master

Well I switched to IMR Target and bought some of the Red , but they were on sale at Grafs for awhile , wished I had bought more and hope when this shortage is over that they are still being produced . Did not buy the Blue and never got a chance at the Unequal as it I wanted to try .

Boolit Buddy
    I am seeing the IMR dot clones available at gun shops. I had decent luck with imr blue in mild 30-30 cast loads. Very close to Blue dot on Chrono speed. Both had good accuracy potential. I wonder how many guys have actually tried the IMR color powders?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Too bad. I liked it alot. Very inexpensive and worked for me 100% equivalent to blue dot
    Scored 8 pounds of this stuff recently. Thank you for the tip. Now to make some plinking 480 Ruger loads (SRH)

Just as I was thinking about trying some!
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Buddy
    "IMR blue never stood a chance."
    Not at the $16/lb that Powder Valley was selling it for. The stuff was golden in everything from .223 jackets to coachgun buckshot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I knew a lot of guys who shot hot blue dot loads with 125 JHP in K Frame S&W revolvers. 9 years ago, I spoke with a factory rep regarding blue dot. He informed me that due to a slight change in the powder they no longer recommended blue dot for 125 JHP. He said the pressure spike from the then new formulation caused excessive flame cutting of the tops strap which led to failures. I never bought into the 'new blue' and haven't bought any blue dot in 30 years. I also haven't loaded jacketed for .357 or 38 SPL for longer than that.

I shoot the heck out of 38 SPL with a 125 RN or RF and occasionally .357 158 RF at 1200 FPS. It turns out I only have about 250 .357 cases and buckets of 38 SPL. I haven't carried the K Frame M13 for many years but still enjoy shooting 38s for a good range day.

I carried the SA 1911 for many years until they wouldn't let me qualify with that for EDC. Some silly person at HQ 'banned' single action pistols when they meant to ban single action revolvers. It took someone to point out that our Mini 14 carbines were single action to get it through their heads. By then, my Wife had bought me a G22 which became EDC, and later my service weapon. Now retired, I mostly carry a G43 in 9mm, it goes with my shoes
    You wear plastic shoes? Crocs?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    There is probably so much demand for powder right now it wouldn’t make sense to tie up an entire line or facility to produce something that doesn’t have the same demand as other products in the line. I’ve seen it written somewhere that there is over 4 billion in firearm back orders.
    I think it’s more a question of profit margin. They will produce the most they can of what has the highest profit margin, as long as there is demand. And we all know there is demand today!

Boolit Master
    megasjpermagnjum - GONRA's 1928 Thompson SMG loves 800x -
    but not the powder measuring hassles... GROAN.....

IMR Blue Discontinued

IMR Blue yields higher pressures for the same X payload than blue dot does, from my testing. I believe it burns a little faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12