Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moisture absorbers.

Boolit Master

Moisture absorbers.

I want to put some of these in my loading/gun room. To help with rust prevention. My turret press was squeaking at the top of the ram travel. I discovered some rust on it. I cleaned it up and put oil on it. Just trying to get an idea how many to use. 12x12 room.

https://www.dollartree.com/the-home-...rs-98oz/144947
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I think a lot of it. Is the room open to outside air?

Maybe a dehumidifier would be better.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of old tool boxes had champher or chalk in each drawer, to repel moisture champer was better as it repelled the moisture, chalk would absorb it then when full release it. Most of the silica units will do that as well. Depending on the size of the room a couple golden rods or dehumidifier might be better.

I go to town on all my reloading gear and guns with Barricade. I made the mistake of using ballistol for storage for a few months. Spots of rust on all my dies and press, made the switch to barricade on every nook and cranny and haven’t seen a spec since but I’m notoriously ocd with my reloading gear, also use desiccant packets in plastic containers.

Wife picked up Naturefresh brand bags which do the same, they’re like 5x5x2 fabric bags. Get a bunch, use quite a few at a time.

Think above posts are on the money for a decent size room. I need to pick up some of those golden rods myself. Rust is the enemy
    Last edited by Rug480; 02-17-2021 at 12:33 AM.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master

I don't know how well it would work in an open room but I have good luck using crystal cat litter in my safes. I found a large plastic tub on sale in a pet supply store. Been using it for about 10 years now.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Rug480 View Post
    I go to town on all my reloading gear and guns with Barricade. I made the mistake of using ballistol for storage for a few months. Spots of rust on all my dies and press, made the switch to barricade on every nook and cranny and haven’t seen a spec since but I’m notoriously ocd with my reloading gear, also use desiccant packets in plastic containers.

Wife picked up Naturefresh brand bags which do the same, they’re like 5x5x2 fabric bags. Get a bunch, use quite a few at a time.

Think above posts are on the money for a decent size room. I need to pick up some of those golden rods myself. Rust is the enemy
    I'm using Ballistol to preserve the finish on my revolver while it's stowed in my safe that uses foam "Egg carton" style inserts. I wipe it down and re-Ballistol on a Bi-Monthly basis.

The revolver already has a bit of rust spots and dings, but nothing life threatening so to speak. I've seen no advances on the finish wear, so I'm assuming I'm doing a reasonable job of keeping any further damage from occuring.

Am I doing this right? My safe is stored in a temperature controlled environment in my home. It may be on the floor but it's in a dry area.

Boolit Master

the powered dehumidifier would be better but if you dont have power that product works fine. we have an old basement for storage and we use 3 of the bigger tubs of damp rid and they keep the canning lids from rusting. we only bought the starter kit to have the special container, after that we buy the calcium in bulk bags and make our own recharges using cheep panty hose. about 4 cups of powder and tie off and repeat. you will need to dump water frequently and recharge the powder at the same time, using store bought gets expensive, but the system will work, you just have to add more units until the humidity level is where you want it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I never use OIL on items where GUN POWDER is involved, allways use POWDERED GRAPHITE on them. the kind that is used on locks', can be had at most HWDEARE stores. use of OIL can cause contamination.

Boolit Master

I use the Barricade too. On my guns. The room is not open to air. I looked over my other press's. Their rams are fine. Dies are fine too. I think our walmart carries small dehumidifiers.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Great advice above of using your rust prevention of choice, but in an open room moisture absorbent packs is a loosing battle. An electric dehumidifier is the way to go.

Might help a little, but open room? it is a losing battle, and these won't really do much.

Boolit Master
    An item we use in our house is a humidity & temp monitor. There are several out there on Amazon,, for around $10. I recommend getting a few,, and placing them in places where humidity is a potential issue. That way,, you KNOW what the moisture content of the air is.

Boolit Master

We have some of the temp/humidity gauges in the reptile room. I'll ''borrow'' one.

The room is always closed. I keep the door locked too. When im in there. I lock the door too. I don't like disturbances when im loading.
    Last edited by BigAlofPa.; 02-17-2021 at 11:19 AM.
    One round at a time.

Banned
    A lightbulb in an old fridge is what we used to keep a welding rod dry. --- Need power for this though

Boolit Master

One round at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Good choice. If you can hook up a drain line, you won’t be emptying that tank all the time, but that is a better option than desiccant.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I like to use the little moisture absorbing packs in sealed containers like ammo cans, etc. I agree that they wouldn't do much in the open air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'll order the little dehumidifier friday. I did grab a few of the dollar tree ones for my gun safes.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Silica gel packs are great. I add them to my open gun powder containers and PC powders, but that type of moisture absorption only works in small confined areas. The type you posted could work for a closet or gun safe, but for a room, an electric dehumidifier is best. You will be surprised how much water can be pulled out of the air.

Boolit Master

I ordered one today. And a RCBS swaging die set. And some splatter targets while i was shopping lol.
    One round at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast