Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Star Lube Sizer Leak

Boolit Buddy

Star Lube Sizer Leak

My Star Lube Sizer leaks between the die and base that it fits in. It oozes out at the top and bottom. I've only used this once before and it didn't leak the first time. The only difference is the die used before was an original Star die. The one that I'm experiencing the leak is made by Magma. I measured both dies and they are the same diameter, .750". I used the same lube in both situations, RCBS - beeswax and Paraffin. Any ideas what may be causing the leaks.

Boolit Man

Too much handle pressure, leading to too much lube pressure?
    Is your lube too warm/runny?
    Let's go Brandon!

If it's a Magma die, it may be one of their dies that uses an O-ring at the top to seal the lube from leaking. Too much heat or too much pressure will also cause leaking.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    If it's a Magma die, it may be one of their dies that uses an O-ring at the top to seal the lube from leaking. Too much heat or too much pressure will also cause leaking.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks Fred! Looking at Magma's manual for their lube sizer there appear to be internal O-rings in the machine itself. I don't know if the Magma die I have requires an O-ring but if it continues to be a problem I'll put one on. My lube sizer is one of the older Star's.

I've also used Teflon plumber's tape on a leaking die. I put a couple of wraps around the top, overlapping down the side of the die a little ways. It's going to tear as you seat the die into the machine, but if it stays in place well enough, it will stop the leaking, just like it does on pipes...........

Hope this helps.
    Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.