Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Shotgun press..'splain this to me, Lucy.

Boolit Master

Shotgun press..'splain this to me, Lucy.

I have acquired a "new" press (new to me anyway). I am not certain I got all of the parts as I have never seen one like this before. I would like to tap the knowledge here to see if I have a workable set.
    Here is what I got....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stuff.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	277766
    This is everything that came out of a rather tattered cardboard box. As it is set now it decaps and resizes. The die in the press says that it is a CH die company 12ga resizing die. It resizes on the upstroke and punches the primer on the down-stroke. I am curious to see what it will do to a brass shell. Only have 25 and they are all currently loaded so I can't test. If just this function works it will be worth the $25 I paid.

This appears to be the priming setup. The shell holder has a spring loaded punch for the primer. The upper part threads into a part called the master die (see below).

Name:	prime.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	277767

I don't think this next part mounts on the press. It has fingers to let you insert a wad etc. It is the tube closest to the press handle on the right in the first photo. Here is looking down the tube.

Name:	fingers.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	277768
    This might be a handy tool to have.

The next section I think crimps. There is a die called the master die. All the other stuff threads into the master die. The two units that thread into the master die, I believe, are to start and finish the crimp. They are both spring loaded and those are some stiff springs.

Name:	crimp.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	277769

This seems like a pretty labor intensive way to load 12ga. Having to change all of those dies for each step.
    So, do any of you have any experience with this setup. Will it resize my brass shells (I guess I'll find out after I empty some)? I have done some searching on the web but I can't seem to find any info on this setup. Your help, as always, is appreciated. If all else fails I got a CH press which should work well for sizing boolits.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Banned

It's a C^H press. Seems like old presses could have the big bushing removed to take shotgun dies. That would be a good press for loading metalic cartridges too if you have or could find the bushing.

Boolit Master

The old school way was to do 25 (1 box) of depriming, 25 priming, 25 powder charging, 25 cards/ wads, 25 shot loads, 25 crimps, or overwads. Labor intensive? Yep, but you get there. Been there, done that.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I have the evolution of that press which has 4 stations.

I have seen lots of those C&H single hole presses and yet I have never seen the Shot Shell Dies anywhere.

I think you found a really rare thing. I'd clean everything up and use it for short runs of slugs and buckshot.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    The one piece looks like a crimper for slugs in the first photo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    The one piece looks like a crimper for slugs in the first photo

Yogi, tried to contact you via PM about the 1881 but your box is full.