Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Musket caps

Boolit Master

Musket caps

is there any type of gadget out there that can be used to make them, as the one that makes # 11caps, called TAP A CAP? I would rely like to have one it it does exist? can't be leave that no one has made one yet?

Boolit Master
    I have a TAP A CAP, for #11 caps. that I purchased from MANNY IN CA. for around $55.00 or so. it works fine but the homage aluminum caps leave a little/ lot to be desired, in my opinion. JMHO.

I'm surprised nobody has made one yet either...although, at this point I'm not into making my own yet.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Master

If you're still interested I have a drawing of my musket capmaker in this thread:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ercussion+caps

Boolit Bub
    If you are close to NY, I have 5 tins I will give you, I don't think they can be shipped, or it won't be feasible.
    How meaningful can you be, there is only so much to say before you are talking too much.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    If you're still interested I have a drawing of my musket capmaker in this thread:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ercussion+caps
    I don’t understand. I looked at the link and I seems that only 4F powder is being used. Is that true? Will only the powder ignite with the pressure of the hammer striking it?

I made one, just scaled up the design on the regular tap o cap. It works just fine, and with the greater amount of priming mixture in the musket caps is always sure fire. I do think that if a person had an automated lathe it would be a good product to bring to the market. And no, you don't use gunpowder in them. You have to use an impact sensitive primary explosive mixture such as FA48 or other known priming compositions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I don’t understand. I looked at the link and I seems that only 4F powder is being used. Is that true? Will only the powder ignite with the pressure of the hammer striking it?
    I read an article once about a Japanese poacher who used an old percussion musket. He made his own powder, but couldn't get percussion caps.

He used black powder mixed with rice hulls for a primer. He'd pack a pinch of it in a bubble of plastic wrap and push it down on the nipple.

I don't know what the ratio of hulls to power was or how reliable it would be.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I read an article once about a Japanese poacher who used an old percussion musket. He made his own powder, but couldn't get percussion caps.

He used black powder mixed with rice hulls for a primer. He'd pack a pinch of it in a bubble of plastic wrap and push it down on the nipple.

I don't know what the ratio of hulls to power was or how reliable it would be.
    I don't think that he would have gotten one of his shots to go off with that recipe. I think it is more likely that he used matches.

Boolit Master
    just buy a nipple that will take no. 11 caps. it works just fine I have one on mississippi