RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 Colt brass will not fit the case holder, is this antique brass?

I load those cases with black. If you don’t want to deal with them, I’ll swap you modern 45 colt. Let me know.

Boolit Master

Charles "Char-Gar" you are a wealth of knowledge. I have read of such things but have not seen a Shell Resizer in the flesh. Anyway I always enjoy it when you share your abundant knowledge. Thanx.........

One other thing. Speaking of the semi balloon cases and no extractor groove I used to have a single case REM-UMC .45 Colt that was Schofield length and nickel plated. I'm pretty sure it is the one Keith so roundly cursed as short colts......
    Last edited by ddixie884; 04-24-2021 at 08:44 PM. Reason: just another thought..
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Charles "Char-Gar" you are a wealth of knowledge. I have read of such things but have not seen a Shell Resizer in the flesh. Anyway I always enjoy it when you share your abundant knowledge. Thanx.........

One other thing. Speaking of the semi balloon cases and no extractor groove I used to have a single case REM-UMC .45 Colt that was Schofield length and nickel plated. I'm pretty sure it is the one Keith so roundly cursed as short colts......
    When the Ideal and later Lyman tong tool were in vogue, there was a need to full length resize cases without a press. The solution was the Shell Resizer. They were produced for many decades in goodness knows how many standard, obsolete, strange and weird calibers. When they sold on Ebay for 3 - 5 bucks each, I bought about 40 in various calibers. They are fun to play with and with a little creative head scratching can be pressed into service for all kinds of reloading and case forming projects.

They are still plentiful on Ebay, albeit at a greater price these days. Search "Shell Resizer" and you can take a gander at the gizmos. Most older Lyman Handloading Manuals had details about their use.

Yes, you most likely had a Scofield case. Some folks get ratchet jawed when we talk about the "45 Long Colt" round insisting there was no 45 Short Colt round. Well there was. When the Army still had Scofield, as well as Colt SA handguns, they issued the Scofield/Short round as it would chamber in either revolver.

I really enjoy old school reloading. I am in no hurry and do not need buckets full of "blasting" ammo. I am fairly certain that progressive reloading presses are of demonic origin.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 04-27-2021 at 11:58 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the info posted in this thread. I'll learned a lot about ballon head cases and the shell resizer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I remember the balloon head brass cases that were offered an a whole bunch of caliber, both rifle and pistol. The shell resizers were popular in the 50's and into the 60's but athe reloading really stepped up as the gun magazines gained popularity. When Elmer and several others started stepping up velocities (and chamber pressures) the old balloon head cases, not being all that strong as they were intended mostly for black powder, began to fail and cause problems. Lyman had been making full length resizing dies for the old ideal tools (310 style) and people started using those for their hand tools. But the popularity of the manual sizing dies started to wane in the late 50's as several companies stepped up to the plate and started making nice reloading presses that would do it all in one easy set up. The bottom dropped out(prices used) of the old Lyman resizers for a few years and then the collectors started collecting good examples and the price started going back up and now they are not cheap. Just look at the prices they bring on evilbay and you will see what I mean. I wish I had bought some while they were dirt cheap, if nothing else just for old times sake. a walk down memory lane, james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    When the Ideal and later Lyman tong tool were in vogue, there was a need to full length resize cases without a press. The solution was the Shell Resizer. They were produced for many decades in goodness knows how many standard, obsolete, strange and weird calibers. When they sold on Ebay for 3 - 5 bucks each, I bought about 40 in various calibers. They are fun to play with and with a little creative head scratching can be pressed into service for all kinds of reloading and case forming projects.

They are still plentiful on Ebay, albeit at a greater price these days. Search "Shell Resizer" and you can take a gander at the gizmos. Most older Lyman Handloading Manuals had details about their use.

Yes, you most likely had a Scofield case. Some folks get ratchet jawed when we talk about the "45 Long Colt" round insisting there was no 45 Short Colt round. Well there was. When the Army still had Scofield, as well as Colt SA handguns, they issued the Scofield/Short round as it would chamber in either revolver.

I really enjoy old school reloading. I am in no hurry and do not need buckets full of "blasting" ammo. I am fairly certain that progressive reloading presses are of demonic origin.
    No sir this case was clearly head stamped .45Colt REM-UMC and had a narrow Colt style rim....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12