RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 8x30 binos

Boolit Master

8x30 binos

I've got 10x42's and 7x50's but I don't carry them much because of the weight and bulk. I'm thinking a set of quality 8x30's would be nice to have. Anybody use them?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    8x30s will have less than a 4mm exit pupil similar to your 10x42s and will be fatiguing to use unless used on a steady platform. They will also be much less bright than your 7x50s in morning or evening nautical twilight. A set of 6x30s or better 6x40s would be brighter and easier to use.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have a set of Leupold 9 x 35's that I've just about worn the finish off of in the last 30 + years. They aren't too heavy and gather enough light for me to see anytime I'll be hunting. I don't foresee needing anything else. My wife can't tolerate any weight hanging around her neck so 25 or so years ago I bought her a set of Swarovski's. They are tiny, about 6 x 20. They are wonderfully bright and clear plus they fold to fit in her shirt pocket. No, they don't let enough light through to see elk at a mile on a moonless night but, we don't hunt at night. Wish I had bought myself a pair too.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    You might check the bird watcher sights for their binocular advice. I have an 8x42 Nikon Monarch 7 that I use most of the time. I do have a 10x50 Leupold that I keep for antelope. My wife uses an 8x32 Opticon, they are very handy and work quite well for most of our hunting. I have not found the 8x32 a problem, we are constantly using binoculars on a daily basis, we can see for miles and watch the eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes, antelope and deer on a daily basis - from a couple hundred yards to a mile or more. I do carry a little inexpensive 6x30 Leupold Yosemite in the high timber, only because my wife is using the 8x32's. My wife used an older 8x40 Nikon Monarch but switched to the 8x32 due size and weight. Don't 'cheap out' on your glass, buy the best you can afford, the difference in quality can be noticed between the $100 and $400 dollar binoculars, above about $400 it gets a little harder, law of diminishing returns comes into play, a lot more money for a little more gain.

I've had a pair of 8X30 Zeiss Dafuns (put together in Hungary) for the last 35 years. While I agree that having a binocular with an "eye pupil" of 5mm or larger will emit more light, I've found that the quality of the glass can make smaller lenses work all the way to the end of "legal" shooting time. It's hard to achieve the perfect combination of weight, durability, and magnification in one instrument, just like its hard to find that one perfect rifle caliber. The less expensive alternative to good glass in a fairly light weight binocular is to purchase a "porro prism", vise "roof prism", binocular in a brand like Nikon, Leupold, etc.

Boolit Master
    Are these something you carry with you on a daily basis? If so, what are you looking at? Walking in the mall, walking trails, glassing canyons for mule deer, deer hunting in timber, ball games... purpose would be nice for any recommdations. I guess the question is only about 8x30s, haven't had anything that size. What would you be using these for?
    Last edited by remy3424; 02-15-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Wow thanks for the thoughts. Mostly it's about when you set down and take a look around. Hunting season is only a short part of the time, season's aren't long enough. The rest of the year I'm still out there hiking around. I try to keep the weight down on these travels so the smaller optics are a plus. I compared Nikon Pro Staff against Vortex Diamondbacks. Same money and felt weight. The Nikons were much better in their field of view and a little brighter. I'm looking hard at the Nikon Monarch 7's, but I worry if Nikon won't exit that line of optics too.

Boolit Buddy
    Get yourself a good chest harness where your binos don't bounce around and you may not need a smaller pair. I wear mine hiking all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Get yourself a good chest harness where your binos don't bounce around and you may not need a smaller pair. I wear mine hiking all over the place.

.......this, they make a huge difference.......
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    I made the mistake of going with a 8x30 pair of vortex's. Small and compact, but it's just too much magnification for where I hunt, and not enough light at dusk and dawn. Not the fault of vortex, it's just physics.

If I am not hunting I use my big bushnell 10x42's. A pleasure to use. But if I were to do it over again, I would goto a 6x binoc for hunting. Which in a way, I have. I only carry a 6x rangefinder monocular now days. Far more useful than my 8x binocs.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Zeiss 8x30 ED Terra. No more money than a decent scope and pretty darn nice to look through and carry(18oz)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Exactly. I use the inexpensive Rick Young harness and it's a great improvement

Boolit Bub

New set of Vortex 6X's

Quote Originally Posted by long_arm View Post
    Exactly. I use the inexpensive Rick Young harness and it's a great improvement
    I have a nice pair of 8X42s that I bought years ago and use hunting from permanent box blinds on a Minn. grain farm. However I find them to large, heavy and too much magnification for hunting from popup blinds in my Michigan home woods.

So this fall I saw a set of Vortex 6X32 on sale for $79. Bought them, used them and found they about perfect! Very bright at first and last light, have caps and covers, and the optics a quite nice - not perfect, but plenty good enough for my use! I can't say they made a great difference - killed both my deer between 10 and 11 A.M. with 50 yd shots- but will be carrying them every season hereafter!

Boolit Master
    Living and hunting in the wide open spaces of Wyoming, my wife and I use binoculars on a daily basis, owls, hawks, eagles, antelope , deer, with binoculars laying by several windows around the house.. For hunting, we usually carry smaller binoculars, we have older mostly Nikon Monarch or Monarch7's, an older 8x40, an 8x30, an 8x42 and a 12x42. My wife carried the 8x40 Nikon until I got her and 8x32 Opticon, I carry the 8x30 Nikon when hunting elk and an old 10x50 Leupold, though I use the 8x42 Nikons more and more for antelope. We both like the smaller lighter binoculars for carrying all day. I would recommend 8x for most usage, as power goes up, depth of field gets smaller/narrow, requiring more adjustment of focus based on distance, and the ability to hold steady is more difficult. The 12x42 Nikon sit by the window and don't leave the house. I would suggest an 8x42 for most purposes, 7x35 used to be common and is very useful, when out in rough country, the 8x30 or 8x32 are very useful with little handicap over 8x42. We have a Leupold 6x30 Yosemite, it is a decent little binocular, but the 8x does seem to be better for most uses.

Boolit Master
    I bought a carry harness from Badlands. I am very impressed with the quality of the harness and comfort using it. Inexpensive too!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pair of Swarovski 8x56 binos. They are a boat anchor but are unparalleled in dim or difficult conditions. I use a long strap over my head so they ride under my left arm. It works but they are darn heavy. I'd like a pair of Kowa Prominar 8-10X40's but their 8x30's are tempting to get the weight down.

Boolit Master
    6x30's are my favorite form factor, but choices have consistently been few.
    I have older Leupold Katmai (discontinued) and relatively modern Phillipine-mfg Vortex Diamondback HD (also discontinued in that particular configuration).

The most practical 6x30mm choices currently would be used Vortex DB or new US-mfg Maven 6x30's.
    https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/b...x30-8x30-10x30

Boolit Bub
    I use Steiner 6x30 and find they work just fine for me but as stated before good until legal light and maybe a little more in the afternoon which is all I need