RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question on pan lubing

Boolit Mold

question on pan lubing

Just getting started in pan lubing I have been told it is best if you preheat your boolits before you pan lube. What I have not able to find is at what Tenp. to warm them up to

Boolit Master

Just before too hot to hold.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I set mine in the pan then use a heat gun to melt the lube around them. Next time I put the bullets in the hole and melt the lube again adding more if needed. I use cake cutters to remove.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

dip lub. Faster. Just dip them in the lub and set them to dry. An old Crock pot works for the lube.

With round cake pans I put them in the oven on 200 or less.

First time, either set the bullets in the pan and melt the lube and pour in the pan. Or, melt the lube in the pan, and while still hot set the bullets in. With either, put it in the oven 15 minutes or so for the bullets to get warm. If the bullets are cold they won't fill the grooves well.

Take them out of the oven and let them cool til the lube is cool enough it shrinks from the pan but ain't cold yet. Then you can dump it upside down and the whole cake, bullets and all will pop out. Then you just push the bullet noses and they pop out of the hole. If you don't do it when moderately warm, you'll not get good fill on the lube grooves.

Then put the cake back in and set bullets back in the holes. If you need more bullets than there is holes, just set them on the cake where you want them and they will drop to the pan bottom when the lube melts.

Size your bullets before lubing, and they will not be as messy with lube all over the noses. It's not the easiest way but it doesn't have to be as messy as others make it out to be.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Have never pre heated bullets in the pan lube. Set the bullets in a pan that is leveled both ways, carefully pour new lube in the pan in a water bath and turn the heat off when touching the bullet nose which will be hot. When lube pan cools to a semi solid, move it the the freezer to cool so the lube tension doesn't adhere to the sides of the pan. Then with a solid base, turn the pan upside down to remove the cake, turn it nose side up and push out with your finger.... save the cooled lube pan with the holes so to use again by just inserting the bullets and repeat the water bath process
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I have never heated my boolits to pan lube. I used the little Lee pan on the glass top stove and turn the burner on just long enough to heat up the surface. I watch the lube, and when it's all melted, I slide the pan off the hot part of the glass top to let it cool. Once the lube cools, I use a modified fired cartridge case as a cake cutter and slide it over the bullet and pull it out. I modify it by drilling out the primer pocket, to allow a dowel rod of some sort to poke out the boolit.... easy-peasy. Lube grooves are always filled, no issues there. Put un-lubed boolits back in the holes left in the lube pan, repeat process. Add new lube as needed to keep the level up where it needs to be.

edit: I nearly always use Alox as my lube. I imagine it would work just as well with nearly any lube.
    Last edited by hornetguy; 02-15-2021 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add a detail

Boolit Master

I have a lot of small pans--old cake pants, small trays, even small 12 inch can lids, like Christmas cookie/candy cans. I just place the boolits in, heat and pour lube in and when cool, use the appropriate cutter to get out. Use excess lube for fluxing, if you want.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    With round cake pans I put them in the oven on 200 or less.

First time, either set the bullets in the pan and melt the lube and pour in the pan. Or, melt the lube in the pan, and while still hot set the bullets in. With either, put it in the oven 15 minutes or so for the bullets to get warm. If the bullets are cold they won't fill the grooves well.

Take them out of the oven and let them cool til the lube is cool enough it shrinks from the pan but ain't cold yet. Then you can dump it upside down and the whole cake, bullets and all will pop out. Then you just push the bullet noses and they pop out of the hole. If you don't do it when moderately warm, you'll not get good fill on the lube grooves.

Then put the cake back in and set bullets back in the holes. If you need more bullets than there is holes, just set them on the cake where you want them and they will drop to the pan bottom when the lube melts.

Size your bullets before lubing, and they will not be as messy with lube all over the noses. It's not the easiest way but it doesn't have to be as messy as others make it out to be.
    This is how I've done it since day one . Only difference is for rifle bullets I don't cut them outa the cake , when the lube is solid but still warm I grab the nose of the bullet with small pliers and lift it straight up comes out easy and makes a little pop/sucking sound . Just fill the holes back up with bullets and so another round . Don't need to worry about pouring liquid lube or the bullets falling over
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

I have never pre heated bullets.

I take my pans.. which are old shallow stove burner stainless steel covers. I spray some non stick cooking spray on a paper towel and wipe them down. place my bullets.. heat the lube in a dedicated old pot.. pour the lube... let cool.. invert the pan and the lube 'cake' falls out.. poke out with a special dowel poker.. easy peasy.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a double boiler set up on the stove Place bullets in existing holes in lube then into water pan heat until lube is melted and 5-10 mins "cook" time to heat bullets and let cool on stove top. I then cut out with a cake cutter.

I have a tea pot that I melt my lube in. I place my bullets in a round pie pan, heat them up until warm to the touch, pour lube to just above lube groves, wait til the wax is solidified and the bullets are warm, pull the bullets out of the wax. I then place bullets in the remaining holes, melt wax until it melts and then repeat the removal process. Works like a charm.

Boolit Master

I heated up the lube in the pan until it flowed around the lube groove and boolit base, then I pulled them from the lube with a pair of hemostats, and set them on wax paper. Excess lube stuck to the wax and left plenty of lube in the groove. I used to lube, load, and seat 250 before work of a morning, my quiet time before the salt mine.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    dip lub. Faster. Just dip them in the lub and set them to dry. An old Crock pot works for the lube.
    +1

Dip lubing is faster and easier, at least for me. I use a case to "cookie cut" the bullets once the lube has hardened. No need for me to heat bullets as long as they're at a reasonable room temperature. Gato Feo #1 home brew lube. No longer lube bullets as I "graduated" from greasers to PPBs years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    +1

Dip lubing is faster and easier, at least for me. I use a case to "cookie cut" the bullets once the lube has hardened. No need for me to heat bullets as long as they're at a reasonable room temperature. Gato Feo #1 home brew lube. No longer lube bullets as I "graduated" from greasers to PPBs years ago.

Great post... nicely documented!

Boolit Master

I use an old electric skillet. Melt the lube, put the boolits in, let them come up to temp, pull them out with a small pliers, and set on a metal cookie sheet to cool. Size as normal, and load. The excess lube will form a cake around the sizing stem (lee push-through), which can be recovered and melted.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Bub
    I've been using a small crock pot to melt the lube before I pour it into the tray with bullets, which I pre-heat in the oven. I like the idea of dip lubing too. Seems like it would eliminate a couple of steps but maybe would take as much or more overall time depending on the size of the batch.

Boolit Master

Seems it adds steps to dip and then cut.

I stack my bullets in a shallow pan that I have wiped with a release agent. Heat my lube, pour. When. cool, punch out. with a dowel. Done. The punching keeps the lube grooves full. No dipper wires and handling each bullet and then rehandle to cut them. I'd quit casting if I had to do that... So many extra steps, time and touching the bullet so many times..not to mention if I used forceps to grab them I could mark the ogive. No thanks! I don't have unlimited time to handle and rehandle all my projectiles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Seems it adds steps to dip and then cut. ....
    Unlike pan lubing, where ya hafta wait for a huge amount of pan lube to cool and harden, dip lubing is immediate. I can dip and cookie cut 50 bullets that are ready for immediate loading inside of 15 minutes or lots less. That's why I'd rather dip lube than pan lube. But really, PPBs are so much better that greasers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I set mine in the pan then use a heat gun to melt the lube around them. Next time I put the bullets in the hole and melt the lube again adding more if needed. I use cake cutters to remove.
    yep !!! best system of all

dip lubing boolits one the time would drive me nuts !!
    Last edited by indian joe; 02-20-2021 at 04:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast