Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question on pan lubing

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Unlike pan lubing, where ya hafta wait for a huge amount of pan lube to cool and harden, dip lubing is immediate. I can dip and cookie cut 50 bullets that are ready for immediate loading inside of 15 minutes or lots less. That's why I'd rather dip lube than pan lube. But really, PPBs are so much better that greasers.
    I just plan my loading to use that down time. For instance I generally will cast micro groove bullets and grease groove bullets in the same session. I set the ones for pan lube and pour. Then I take the micro groovers and lightly tumble lube and size immediately, then tumble lube them again and pour out to cure. By that time the pan lube cake is ready to punch. I punch and size. No down or wasted time..and no extra handling of the bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking projectiles hornetguy, what are they? - afraid I couldn't balance the bullet with my shaking hands. Since I breech-seat a lot of my cast bullets I leave the in the lube until I'm ready to shoot.
    Last edited by Shanghai Jack; 04-10-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Never preheated bullets. Never needed to do it. Maybe lubes make a difference.
    I have pan lubed thousands of BPCR and schuetzen bullets with modified Emmerts and have also pan lubed with Darr lube and Narayan a preheated bullet.

Boolit Master
    I melt the pan o’ lube in a toaster oven, then set boolits in after melted. The boolits are room temp, so the wax hardens immediately, which does not allow for good adhesion... so I put the pan back in the oven until the boolits are warm, then allow to cool. Adhesion, generally speaking, benefits when the components are same temperature as the adhesive, so this post-heat should be equivalent to pre-heat.
    When you have holes in the lube cake from last use, placing boolits in the holes before melting the lube should also achieve good adhesion without pre-heating (together-heating).

Boolit Master
    My first time 50/50 beeswax/Crisco from the microwave over REALS didn’t do as well as your descriptions... the cake fell apart and there was no reusing the cake when I was done. No pix of the carnage as my hands were covered in goo. But my skin was real soft for the night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC1B51E8-C551-47EB-AE2B-FFAA659CCF19.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	281187

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I melt the pan o’ lube in a toaster oven, then set boolits in after melted. The boolits are room temp, so the wax hardens immediately, which does not allow for good adhesion... so I put the pan back in the oven until the boolits are warm, then allow to cool. Adhesion, generally speaking, benefits when the components are same temperature as the adhesive, so this post-heat should be equivalent to pre-heat.
    When you have holes in the lube cake from last use, placing boolits in the holes before melting the lube should also achieve good adhesion without pre-heating (together-heating).
    the issue is your lube wasn't hot enough. when i pour my lube into the pan with bullets.. it stays liquid at least 10 minutes.. and is not ready to harvest for over an hour.. if your lube is just barely liquid.. then yeah.. any temp drop will quick freeze it. so... warm it up.

Boolit Master
    Just finished a mess of 275 gr. .44 boolits using the simple lube recipie https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...73-simple-lube I do it in a round cake pan on low on the glass top stove. You need to have the level of the melted lube about 1/16" or more above the grease groove. I wait until the pan cools to warm and pull the boolits out by the nose gently with a pliers. So far it has worked perfectly. If the lube is not staying in the grooves it's too warm and you need to let the pan cool a bit more. Be careful with the heat though, beeswax will ignite if it gets to hot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12