Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knives

Boolit Master

Kitchen Knives

Are any of you as peculiar about your kitchen knives as you are about your guns? I recently bought a few Japanese knives that only I'm allowed to touch, and all I can say is WOW why didn't I do this sooner!

What do you use for kitchen knives and cutting boards?

We use Warther from Dover Ohio. High quality stuff.

Boolit Master

Do you mean peculiar or particular? There is a difference.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Under 10$, takes a good edge and holds it fairly well. Handles seem to hold up better to the dishwasher than the old wood handled style Chicago paring knives.

For larger I have 4 old Hickory or OH knockoff's that keep an edge very well.
    Wife mostly makes do with old Chicago Cutlery knives that might get sharpened once a year.

I keep a V steel in the kitchen, so when she complains about a knife I touch it up on the spot.

Also there are 4 Fillet knives racked on the fridge, 3 Rapala's in 3 different sizes and a custom made fillet knife with fancy colored wood handle which is my wife's.

I have a fancy knife set in folding holder like professional chef's use. But they all need sharpening work and there is no place in our small kitchen to put them. Pawn shop find, and I got it for 1/6th of what it sells for new. Still they are good backup knives.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Victorinox Forschner Paring Knifes, Chicago cutlery butcher, slicer & boning kept very sharp, Gerber steak knives. Wife uses any she wants. I use a 12" steel before each use and have the CC professionally sharpened every 6 months. The paring knives are cheap at the restaurant supply so when the work mate can't sharpen them any more they go in the trash. We use plastic or wood cutting boards.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Forschner chefs set form my catering days that went to the kitchen.Get daily use. Sharpen 3-4 times a year...

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite knives are ... sharp knives . Nothing worse than a dull knife in the kitchen.
    I like and use any NSF Certified Commercial knives such as Mercer or Wusthof .
    Right now I'm using a Gerber camp/cooking knife a lot ... that puppy will take and hold a sharp edge .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I have a rather eclectic group. A set of Case 2x, from the 70's that my brother gave me for Christmas, less the paring and utility knife. Great stuff! A J.A. Henckles(?) International from the 90's, plus a couple of oddball I picked up here and there. All hold a good edge, all cut clean. Most interesting one is an 18 USN Butcher knife my father picked up at Treasure Island, circa 1944. Sharpen that puppy up, watch out!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Cattaraugus bub, upstate NY... I guess one of the ONLY things I like about living in the Northeast is... it's easy to find good, quality, old items at yard sales/flea markets IF you know what to look for... the steel is OLD steel... and sharper than your ex-wive's laywer's pencil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cattaraugus.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	277661
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed. I've got a Henkel set with some NSF Forschner french knives mixed in. They are all very forgiving and easy to control. I have a decent diamond tristone to renew the edge when SWMBO Or the kids are a little less kind to the edges. Teaching them how to use a knife properly is a win-win and saves work on the stone later on.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    My favorite knives are ... sharp knives . Nothing worse than a dull knife in the kitchen.
    I like and use any NSF Certified Commercial knives such as Mercer or Wusthof .
    Right now I'm using a Gerber camp/cooking knife a lot ... that puppy will take and hold a sharp edge .
    Gary

Solingen steel is wonderful stuff. I have a set of Henkel Four Star that I love. I have a small thin Wustof “chef’s” knife that is my most reached for. I also have a Chefs choice 6” utility knife that I use for peeling and light slicing. I love the way a razor sharp ergonomic knife feels like an extension of your hand.
    SPJ

Boolit Master

I'm still using a set of Chicago Cutlery knives We received as a Wedding present almost 39yrs ago.
    My Wife uses a set of Cold Steel that I won a few years back. She likes the serrated edge.

I keep them all Very Sharp.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Do you mean peculiar or particular? There is a difference.
    Probably a lot of both.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    I just looked at those, nice American look, S35 VN steel with proper heat treatment, and you have an A#1 kitchen tool! I've actually been looking at a couple with that very steel!
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 02-15-2021 at 12:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    No offense.

If you run them through the dish washer, that's about the rite amount to pay. If some one ran one of my knives through the dish washer, it'd be about like someone giving your most prized pistol a hot lye bath to make sure it was clean!

I asked the question to find if there are other gun enthusiasts as crazy about everyday kitchen knives.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I offered to sharpen a friend of mine knives a while back. He said, "I've only got two good knives in the house", and they where Forschners. One was a 5 inch paring knife and the other was a large slicing scimitar about a foot long. Took 30 min of work, and they are razor sharpened. I have no idea the hardness, or their edge holding ability, but most German/European knives are run about 58-60 brinel hardness. I find I like a knife with about 61-63 hardness, and use diamond sharpeners to keep the razors edge on them.
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 02-15-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had some very high end knives. For the most part I was not that impressed. After trying a bunch I have very happily settled on various NSF Certified Commercial knives that are dish washer safe. Mostly Forschner and F Dick. That is what 99% of the professional meat cutters use and a large portion of the professional chefs use.

I've been in a couple of TV chiefs actual kitchens. They, for the most part, don't use what they sell on TV.

Same for cutting boards. I have some real pretty wood cutting boards that never get used. What does get used are Antibacterial Synthetic Cutting Boards.

For sharpening I use the Wicked Edge system. https://wickededgeusa.com/

Knives are a tool to be used. I don't abuse them but if they have to be babied they need to be in a display case not the kitchen.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-15-2021 at 01:26 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

My go-to knife is a Wusthof 6" chef's knife. When I was a working chef, I used Sabatier carbon steel knives. They rusted if you looked at them wrong, but were easy to keep sharp. Store your kitchen knives on a magnetic bar and DO NOT EVER put a good knife in a dishwasher. Wipe it with a sponge, dry and store on the magnetic bar. When you pick up a knife, hit it a couple of licks on a steel. Before you put it back on the bar, hit it a couple of licks on a steel. Get your knives sharpened by a profession a couple of time per year.

Buck makes a 2 5/8 blade paring knife that is the best deal for the money on the planet.

Boolit Master

Forschners top the lot.
    A potpourri abounds.
    All my cutting blocks are homemade wood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast