WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Swaging dies.

Boolit Master

RCBS Swaging dies.

Thinking about getting a set. Im getting tired of using a hand tool. How are they? Thanks Al.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

As far as I know Al... they are expensive if they are original and correct.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Thinking about getting a set. Im getting tired of using a hand tool. How are they? Thanks Al.
    Are you talking about swaging primer pockets, or swaging bullets? If swaging primer pockets, they work just fine. I've been using one for over 50 years.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Yes the primer pocket ones. In todays prices i don't think 45.00 is bad for RCBS quality. I just got the Auto prime bench tool. And im impressed with it. I ordered a RCBS Partner press.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have one it's great on LP and most SP ......but and I don't remember which one's now I had trouble with 223 and getting enough radius on the pockets . I know it was GI and I know the heads were thick . It's possible the pockets were shallow too . In any event on a run of 1200 combined sorted HS I had a cumulative average of about 1-15 that I had to hit with a reamer or chamfer tool and from that HS it was around 40% . I bent the anvil rod to keep enough pressure on so that HS was particularly hard also . Over all I can't find any fault with the tool just the user and a particular batch of brass . (LC12?)
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

223 is the primary reason i want them. Now and then i come across crimped 9mm. I loaded a batch of 223 the other day. After reaming the crimps with a hand tool. My arthritis was barking at me lol.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    I bought the rcbs one many years ago when the 223 first came out and I was given about 1500 5.56 rounds that needed to have the pockets swaged. I found the rcbs punch didn't relieve enough of the crimp so I made another punch that did. Now I have more than enough commercial 223 that I don't load mil cases.

My 223s are a very early Rem 700V and a TC contender 21" so I'm not shooting hundreds of round per outing and I have a couple thousand 223 brass.

Boolit Master

I see Lee has come out with a swaging die. Besides the one for the app press. Decisions decisions.
    https://leeprecision.com/primer-pocket-swager/
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

For .223's; I prefer my Dillon Super Swage 600. I find it far quicker and I think it does a better job. For all others; I use the RCBS Primer Pocket Swage die/s I have.

With the RCBS Primmer Pocket Swage die/s; the thing I do not like is having to "Bump" the brass off the swage point on the up stroke for particularly tight Primer Pockets. Just find it a pain (and can be a pain in the hand after a while). This is one of several reasons I prefer the Dillon for .223 as the MilCrimp .223's often have tight pockets.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

For around $100. Works great but no cases longer than .308 (i.e. won't do military .30-06)
    Attachment 277538
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a CH4D one. Some folks don't like it because you can over do it and bend the rim if you're not careful. I haven't had any issues with it yet.

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/case-tools/psk

Boolit Master

Plenty of choices thank you.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

I used the reamer/chamfering tool to do thousands of .2253 and 9mm crimped primer pockets. I chucked the tool in a battery hand drill and went to town. I would hit the primer pocket the case mouth on once fired brass. I generally did about 250 at a time. When making 300 BO brass I did use the Harbor Freight mini chop saw, made a jig to get it close, sized the brass, then used a Lee trimmer, also chucked in the drill.

Brass was sorted by case stamp, my fired brass is still sorted, waiting for reload. I only shoot 40 or 50 per range day, 20 through the Mini 14, 20 through a single shot. I made a bunch of boxes that hold 40 on stripper clips, 12 ga 2 3/4" shot shell boxes hold 125. I won't have to reload for quite some time.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Almost any method or tool is easier to use than the RCBS PP swaging die is, IMHO. Maybe a pocketknife is actually less easy to use, but that would be about it, IMHO. If you plan to do more than a few dozen pirces of brass, but either the Dillon Super Swage or the RCBS copy. You'll thank yourself later.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I use one on a single stage press for 223/556

I also have a dillion mil swager mounted to a board for watching TV.

Both work equally well the RCBS is cheaper price wise but the dillion allows me to sit in front of the TV.

I process all my 223/556 before I run it through my 550 blue press.
    It's easier on everything including me.
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Ddint they make a few different versions of the RCBS swagers? Some are more complicated than others. Some require specific diameter rams?

Boolit Bub
    had one years ago and didnt like it. you are better off with the dill0n swage, much better tool.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thorswhisper View Post
    Ddint they make a few different versions of the RCBS swagers? Some are more complicated than others. Some require specific diameter rams?
    Yes, there are four different new and improved versions, only one is current.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't like the reamers, too easy to over do it. Use the old Herters plug & the RCBS, but I can see the Dillon or F/A could be a better tool. Way more expensive for a one time job on primer pockets. Save the cash for a Lyman Primer hole reamer. That is one of my primary accuracy tools. If you have to swage longer cases (2 tools) you could afford an outside neck turner, the next accuracy tool.

Boolit Mold
    i used to use the reamers but find it hard to get each pp the same .. so bought this ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ...cost $44 .. now i deprime with the dillon and the wife (72 yrs old) swages on the rock chucker. .. she says it is easy .. spray the 223a with One Shot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast