Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which M1 Carbine would you choose?

In the 60's my Mother got a DCM Carbine for $16 FIRC. My father was a high school teacher and was the JROTC instructor. Twice a year the high school where he taught would take all the junior ROTC cadets to Marine Corps Air Station El Toro and the kids would shoot the KD course with the DCM M1s. My father would trade .22 ammo he had from the JROTC rifle team to the Marines for Carbine ammo. He did this several times until Viet Nam got hot and heavy and then the carbine ammo dried up and went overseas. The Carbine we had was an Overland with a Marlin barrel. My Nephew has it now. I really wanted that gun but had to realize that my father had more grandkids than my 4. I ended up with a couple from the latest CMP sale of returns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Photog View Post
    Actually they are still being made:
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Rifles.aspx
    https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1945.html
    Not being produced for the military, but they are being made for the civilian market.
    My best shooting M1 Carbine is my Inland with a 1945 barrel, FAT stock from the CMP. I would not hesitate at $800 for a USGI carbine, they will hold their value.
    Are they still making those carbines, and selling them for about $1100?
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    I sold a nice condition iai commercial carbine at an auction recently. It sold for $2500.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Bought a South Korean surplus "Blue Sky" carbine years back. S.G. receiver and Winchester barrel. Too much fun when I shoot it to ever think about selling it. And could never replace it for what I paid for it. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    Are they still making those carbines, and selling them for about $1100?
    Just take a look......

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Rifles.aspx

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/fi...nce-aom140.asp

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1944.html
    Last edited by sirgknight; 03-17-2021 at 01:04 PM.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Rock Ola would be my first choice but if I could swing it I'd make a reasonably close to asking offer on both and be thrilled to get them both for asking if that was the best I could do . My Rock Ola shoots Korean surplus ammo as well as anything I have fed it ,never had any issues with underpowered US GI ammo either and I've shot a ton of it . A friend of my dads worked in the armory at Fort Campbell in the 60's and early 70's and would bring me two lunch boxes of ammo every week . They were the square school lunch boxes with the side hinged lid and he filled one with .30 Carbine and one with .38 special . Never had any bad ammo come out of those boxes . I just bought two cans of the Korean PMC stuff , looks good and shoots great .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    If you had the choice of purchasing only one of these carbines, which one would you rather have? I'm assuming that the Rockola is the hardest to find and probably worth more than the Inland since there were 10 times more Inlands, but all WWII Carbines have drastically increased in value. Would you be willing to pay $800-900 for either one? more? less? Oh, each one has the bayonet lug and comes with an era correct sling.

1. Inland s/n 535xxxx

2. Rockola s/s 453xxxx
    Borrow money and buy them both. Sell the Rockola for >$2000, pay back the loan, and use the rest to buy ammo for the Inland.

Boolit Master

Had about every mfg back when I really collected, never found an IBM though, IIRC paid $125 for my Rock-Ola. Had a nice early Winchester, sold to a friend for $900 about 10 years ago, gotten out of collecting at my age.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

I have an Inland so I am biased ... and it is an exceptionally nice one bequeathed to me by an Uncle. I've seen a couple of nice Rock-Olas.

Hard to beat a nice Inland though. It would all depend upon all matching serial numbers, whether or not it, by chance, included the original oil can, etc. What the furniture looks like, the shape of the sights. The bore, the crown, all that good stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00058-20100816-1339.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	279877
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8B35CA4-AC1F-432C-8A2E-7800B714C8C8.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	279895Here’s some production figures.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Rock-Ola, easily. Far more rare and valuable. Keep in mind it's hard to prove one of these is in factory configuration, they were mix masters from the factory a lot of the time.

I bought an Auto-Ordnance (Kahr) a while back seems to be a nice rifle. Haven't shot it much yet but like it so far. Obviously it is not a collectable as it is a newly produced rifle. I just wanted a carbine that wouldn't break the bank.

Boolit Master

Most .30 Cal. M-1 Carbines went through arsenal rebuilds After WWII. Some internal parts upgrades, stocks, adjustable sight and bayonet lug added. All one has to do is look at pics of them in the Korean War and Vietnam. Very, very few original “ as issued” in WWII survived, they bring Big$$$$. Suggest one find a copy of the book “War Baby” for just about all details on the Carbine. Have not seen any at local gun shows under $900, and it was a “ dog”.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Most .30 Cal. M-1 Carbines went through arsenal rebuilds After WWII. Some internal parts upgrades, stocks, adjustable sight and bayonet lug added. All one has to do is look at pics of them in the Korean War and Vietnam. Very, very few original “ as issued” in WWII survived, they bring Big$$$$. Suggest one find a copy of the book “War Baby” for just about all details on the Carbine. Have not seen any at local gun shows under $900, and it was a “ dog”.
    That's why I went with new. Didn't want to pay more than $800.

Boolit Master

I don't think you can find any new production that cheap!

Boolit Master

They were updated by Govt Arsenals so no issues on quality. Collectors these days have caused a shortage, supply and demand, lol.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    They say that the ones that Royal Tigers Imports are bringing in weren't rebuilt when they went to Ethiopia and are as they were when WW2 ended. If I was a collector of them, that's where I'd get 1 from.

RTI* is not the one you want to buy any firearms from, to many horror stories about about junk firearms. just do a little checking on line about their over blown adds about the condition of the firearms and complaints from buyer.

Boolit Master

Agree RTI sells mostly Junk, just go on a few forums for details. As for not being overhauled, maybe as they were sent there at end of WWII. One Has to go to many good gun shows to find decent .30 Carbine(s).
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I don't think you can find any new production that cheap!
    I bought mine on Ebay less than a year and a half ago.
    Something like $750, came out to be about $800 al said and told.
    Yes it is investment cast, not machined, has a perfect walnut stock except for the little scratch I put in it trying to figure out how to put a magazine pouch on it.
    I found you need to remove the snap for the GI utility belt. This is best done by grinding out the rivet with a diamond burr in a Dremel tool.
    Most people just cut around the snap leaving an ugly hole.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast