RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which M1 Carbine would you choose?

If you're going to shoot it, I don't guess it matters. I probably would buy the Rockola if I thought I could sell it for a profit, then sell it to fund another and pocket the difference. In my collection of carbine's I have two Inlands and they're both good shooters. One of them in particular has a habit of shooting some fairly amazing groups, could be coincidence I suppose.

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 02-13-2021 at 10:59 AM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I’d try to buy both at those prices and then sell one on GB for $1,000.

Boolit Master

If being able to shoot well is important, try to shoot before buying. Don't use US GI ammo, because it is underloaded for the most part. Ammo makers are more likely to make accurate ammo if it is soft point or hollow point bulleted, so try those. If you can not shoot it before buying, look to see barrel condition, and carefully read this:
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CarbineNotes.pdf

I would not have a M1 Carbine, if CMP had not started a Carbine match at Camp Perry. They are not worth $400, much less $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    If being able to shoot well is important, try to shoot before buying. Don't use US GI ammo, because it is underloaded for the most part. Ammo makers are more likely to make accurate ammo if it is soft point or hollow point bulleted, so try those. If you can not shoot it before buying, look to see barrel condition, and carefully read this:

I would not have a M1 Carbine, if CMP had not started a Carbine match at Camp Perry. They are not worth $400, much less $1000.
    very informative READ!! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post

They're worth whatever people are willing to pay for them, and with three companies currently manufacturing them, selling them for $1100 to $2300, I'd say there's plenty of demand. Fulton Armory is over 4 months behind on orders, so the little carbines are worth well over $400 to lots of shooters.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

If I found a carbine for $400 I'd probably end up with my arm in a sling from grabbing my wallet so fast that I would wrench my shoulder! I fell like I've been lucky recently wrangling prices down to $850 or $900! Some folks my not like them, but that is no reason to be disparaging to those of us who do. To us, they are well worth the prices paid.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    They're worth whatever people are willing to pay for them, and with three companies currently manufacturing them, selling them for $1100 to $2300, I'd say there's plenty of demand. Fulton Armory is over 4 months behind on orders, so the little carbines are worth well over $400 to lots of shooters.

35W
    I checked with Fulton Armory and their "cheapest" carbine is $2000, not cheap to me. It is my understanding that this armory builds the carbine to USGI tolerances, but USGI carbines can still be purchased on GB for far less than $2000.....at least for now. 10 years ago a nice service grade USGI could be purchased for under $500. It makes me shutter to think what they may be worth 10 years from now because the world's inventory will probably be exhausted to personal ownership. LOL, a $400 carbine is available right now; they are called REPLICAS!!

Boolit Grand Master
    We must have a bunch of Rip Van Winkles here who fell asleep 20 years ago and are still basing their notion of value on those prevailing prices of 2001.

$400 for an M-1 Carbine? Sir, you are hallucinating. It has been many years since you could find a clean Inland shooter for that kind of money, and Rock-ola's have commanded a premium since the 90's at least. Heck, the Iver Johnson copies were 350 back in 1993. The new manufacture, Auto-ordnance guns list at over a grand. The fact that there were some DCM samples for sale 60 years ago for peanuts doesn't make them available for that now.

To the OP's question, I'd buy the Rock-ola if both were in identical condition, otherwise, I'd choose the one that was in the best condition.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Even the commercial reproductions such as Universal, Iver Johnson and Plainfield are bringing crazy high prices. I bought an Iver Johnson last summer for $500 shipped, and even with it's issues (all of which I corrected) I felt like it was a steal.

For a dose of reality, go to Gunbroker, Advanced, click the Completed Items tab and search "M1 Carbine".

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I have an Underwood that was pretty much given to me by the estate of a late friend. I shoot it regularly as that is what he did with it. Brings back fond memories.

I have an Inland reimported in the 90's with Korean markings on the sling. It shoots cast very well. It lived in the closet with 20 jsp's in a 30 round magazine when I was out at odd hours of the day and night because Mrs. Thumbcocker shot it better than any handgun on the place.

For a shooter any GI carbine would be fine imho. For collecting go with the scarcer one.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a National Postal Meter I got through the CMP many moons ago. Not a lot of those and it shoots cast very well. I also have my dad’s Winnie M1 carbine. Very early carbine w/ all the early carbine parts.. All Winnie except for the stock. I suspect it is worth some serious $ but, I will never part w/ it.

I'd trade two of my ARs for a USGI M1 carbine in very good condition. I've owned a Winchester and my wife owns a Howa. Both will shoot into 4" at 100 yards with peep sights with fmj or sp ammo. They shoulder naturally and are so easy to hit with, plus all steel and walnut construction to boot. They were never meant to be match rifles, but for instinctively hitting things quickly within 100 yards or so- they get it done if you do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'd trade two of my ARs for a USGI M1 carbine in very good condition. I've owned a Winchester and my wife owns a Howa. Both will shoot into 4" at 100 yards with peep sights with fmj or sp ammo. They shoulder naturally and are so easy to hit with, plus all steel and walnut construction to boot. They were never meant to be match rifles, but for instinctively hitting things quickly within 100 yards or so- they get it done if you do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    One of the things that amazes me is that in a world of inexpensive AR-15 (At least until the last election), people are paying the price of two AR's for a single M1 Carbine. I believe if someone could produce them for $500-$600, they would sell like hotcakes. I personally find them far easier to handle than an AR and for non-gunny types, they're really simple to understand and operate.

35W

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by M1fuzz View Post
    I have a National Postal Meter I got through the CMP many moons ago. Not a lot of those and it shoots cast very well. I also have my dad’s Winnie M1 carbine. Very early carbine w/ all the early carbine parts.. All Winnie except for the stock. I suspect it is worth some serious $ but, I will never part w/ it.
    I've known parts-correct winnies to auction for north of $4000.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Banned

ive had both. Both are equally as good. buy the one in the best condition.

Price sounds about right in the current market, and perhaps rather low for a Rockola receiver. From what you wrote it is virtually certain both are mix-masters, meaning they saw at least one rebuild/upgrade while in service. Rockola never used the late type barrel band (with bayonet lug) during wartime production, and the Inland's serial number is too low for it to be a factory installed late band. The only original condition carbines I've seen were 1960s DCM purchases... Chances are both the Inland and Rockola are import-marked- usually on the right side of the barrel.

Either one in decent condition would be worth it, but if all things the same I'd pick the Rockola, for as already pointed out in this thread Inland (General Motors) carbines are the most common with over 2.6 million produced during WWII. Have fun!

Boolit Master
    Back a long time ago I was a salesman making a cold call over the phone to Mr. Rockola. I was inexperienced to say the least. He was a nice guy to me. I recall asking if he had made M1 Carbines. He said somehting like yes I did. Wish I had bought a Rocklola when they were were more affordable.

Nice guy and a gentleman to a young fellow trying to make a living. I would buy the Rockola.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    800 900 for a Carbine?
    They are neat little guns an at 3-400 may well be worth it, but not 8-900 in my book.
    Of course one must consider, they are not making any more.
    Actually they are still being made:
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine-Rifles.aspx
    https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1945.html
    Not being produced for the military, but they are being made for the civilian market.
    My best shooting M1 Carbine is my Inland with a 1945 barrel, FAT stock from the CMP. I would not hesitate at $800 for a USGI carbine, they will hold their value.

Boolit Master
    The last time I considered buying one was in 2010. The cheapest ones I could find were $800 and the bores were not great. All were parts mixed.

Interesting how a lot of the WWII firearms are a bit more popular than in past decades. My kids' generation are very interested in WWII and the politics of the era.

A friend bought a new Auto Ordnance version when they came out (along with a Thompson) and it shot a lot better than I thought it would, ~2" at 100yds with only a front rest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast