Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Picture of that single shot you just bought.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Picture of that single shot you just bought.

Let's see them. Manufacturer, and caliber, and what your plans are for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

With the state closed down, and no gun shows anywhere close, I've only purchased one single shot rifle, and that was last year from Simpson Ltd. My gun fund has been building the last year, so whenever things do open up here I think myself and others will go on a buying spree!
    Showed this one before, but it's the unique Rolling Block I got from Simpson's. All I did was make a new firing pin, and screw, and repair some missing wood chips.

It's a very cool old sporter, and I found it thanks to someone here posting a link to it, when it was offered for sale at Simpsons.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I got this one also from Simpson about three weeks ago. I had planned on sending it to JES for boring it to 40-65 Winchester. Jesse explained that rechambering to that cartridge would not clean up the shoulder area of the 8x58RD current chambering. So I'll have to get more funds together and take it to Al Story's Brochardt Rifle Company this Spring or sooner if funds become available. I'll use their barrel and let them do the chambering and fitting. It's nice his shop is only two hours away on a nice drive down picturesque New Mexico Hwy 181.
    It's a 1867 Remington.
    Conversion date 1896.
    Chambering is 8x58RD.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    With the state closed down, and no gun shows anywhere close, I've only purchased one single shot rifle, and that was last year from Simpson Ltd. My gun fund has been building the last year, so whenever things do open up here I think myself and others will go on a buying spree!
    Showed this one before, but it's the unique Rolling Block I got from Simpson's. All I did was make a new firing pin, and screw, and repair some missing wood chips.

It's a very cool old sporter, and I found it thanks to someone here posting a link to it, when it was offered for sale at Simpsons.
    Who made it and what caliber?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Shows have been going on down here for a while now. I picked this up a few months ago at a show near me. Paid $140 for it which I think was about $40 too much but have never actually seen one like it. I've seen doubles using this action type but this is the first single I have seen. No makers or seller marks that I can find but it does have belgian proofs on the frame and barrel. It is a 16 ga. Chamber is not well defined so I'm going to stick with 2 9/16" when I get around to loading it. Where I shoot doesn't allow scatterguns so going to try to work out a round ball load of some sort. Bore is good, lots of "patina" on the outside. Sorry for the poor pics, just one of those days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1801.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	277456

Name:	100_1799.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	277457

Name:	100_1802.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	277458

Just an FYI, there is a show in my area tomorrow but I ain't going as I'm sure it will be a zoo and there will not be any bargains. Forget bargains, there probably won't be anything reasonable. Super spreader event on top of that!

Rusty, what kind of marking are on the water table. It should have some Mark as to chamber. Likely a number in milimeters with a circle around it. Sorta of like this:

It shows the gauge (12) and the (70) which is the chamber length of 70 millimeters. Look to see if your water table has this type of marking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Nope, no such markings. Here is a pic of the marks on the barrel (don't have any handy from the frame). The number in the bottom of the pic that is partially blocked is 17.0 which I understand was a common makings for 16 ga guns and means 17 ga bore??

Name:	100_1374.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	277464

Rusty, the frame is where you'll find markings if any that will give you the length of shell you should be using. European shotguns, especially the older smokeless and almost all of the black powder guns have extensive proof stamping and other informative marking on both barrels and frame. Here's one that informs you about the choke on the barrels. This is also a 16 gauge barrel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Ain't much there. I think these are black powder proof marks but I'm not sure. Only info I could find suggested this type of firearms was made around 1870 so I'm thinking I stick to black when I get around to shooting it. Anything you can decipher will be appreciated.

Name:	100_1804.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	277472

Not sure if it counts--

It's 12 ga. BP percussion.
    From the proof marks, it was made in Belgium between 1840 and 1890.
    Just a wild guess, but from the wear & tear, and repairs- it looks like a Civil War veteran.

I found this in a thrift store for $50. not too terribly long ago. I couldn't leave it there.
    I re-soldered the pieces between the barrels, re-blued it, and hung it on the wall.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Who made it and what caliber?
    I believe this is a Remington action, and a very early one with the set screws holding the pins instead of the plate. No markings anywhere, so unknown for sure. But caliber is 12.7x44R Rem. M67.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Not sure if it counts--

It's 12 ga. BP percussion.
    From the proof marks, it was made in Belgium between 1840 and 1890.
    Just a wild guess, but from the wear & tear, and repairs- it looks like a Civil War veteran.

I found this in a thrift store for $50. not too terribly long ago. I couldn't leave it there.
    I re-soldered the pieces between the barrels, re-blued it, and hung it on the wall.
    If not used in the War, I will bet it defended the homestead. And helped keep 'em fed too. I have one that was passed down to me. Subsistence hill farmers.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Ruger No.3 32-40 Schuetzen Rifle. It's in the mail...

Name:	20210212_173839.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	277482

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I believe this is a Remington action, and a very early one with the set screws holding the pins instead of the plate. No markings anywhere, so unknown for sure. But caliber is 12.7x44R Rem. M67.

Are you shooting this rifle?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Ruger No.3 32-40 Schuetzen Rifle. It's in the mail...

Name:	20210212_173839.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	277482
    Amazing rifle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Are you shooting this rifle?
    Yes, but weather hasn't been great, so still waiting for more testing.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    If not used in the War, I will bet it defended the homestead.
    That's my guess.
    From a few of the muskets I've seen that were carried in the South- its in a lot better shape too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Bought this Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 last year. I'm tempted to rebarrel it to 30-40 krag or trade for one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210205_074835.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by single shot jimmy View Post
    Bought this Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 last year. I'm tempted to rebarrel it to 30-40 krag or trade for one.
    I owned one for a little while, but my 1895 Marlin did a good enough job of whomping me around that I had no desire to shoot 45-70 in something even lighter.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Number Three in .30-40. It wallops me pretty good with factory 220gr loads. I sure wouldn’t want to shoot a Number Three in .45-70..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast