RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Thompson center Contender following

i found the .375 JDJ with 270 gr bullets just to tough for deer size animals, i have used the hornady 220 gr fn bullet and at 2300 fps it,s been certain death to them. its been one of the easyist wild cats to load for, lube and run a .444 marlin case into the size die and load a full load to shoot. no other steps needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish hornady would go back to making the 225 sp and the 220 for the 375. I recently bought a 375 jdj barrel. I already had 375 win but always used 200 sierra in it.There are several good calibers in the contenders.

Boolit Master
    I have one with .223 , .357 Herret , .30 wcf. Don’t shoot it much because I can’t get it to work right won’t cock no matter what I try .

take it to a gunsmith, it may be some thing minor that can be fixed easy.

I wanted one for many years. Always was a pistol guy and never impressed by those gentlemen who shoot a rifle 100yds. Now shoot a pistol over 100 yds and you start to get in to something special.

A few years back, I bought a neglected frame from a member here. Rusty and side pitted, the internals were fine. It received a fine inspection and a coat of Cerakote. All my barrels are Super 14’s and prefer to topped with older Burris glass.

44mag
    7mm TCU
    7-30 Waters
    221 Falcon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Tar Heel
    That 32-20 has more recoil than I would have expected.
    A barrel I always said I wanted, but never sought hard enough to get one.
    I would have hoped for a tight one and use .308 bullets and most likely boolits.
    That load, with the 110gr Speer HP and a healthy dose of H110 is possible in the T/C. All T/C barrels had a .308 groove-to-groove dimension by design. When released to the public in the last millennium, the 32-20 was in its forgotten and all but dead phase. T/C knew the lead .311 bullets would work well in a 308 bore but to make the cartridge viable, they made it with a .308 bore to take advantage of the cornucopia of .308 bullets on the market as well as shoot factory lead ammo if one had some. Of course bullet casters are a resourceful lot. I shoot the JHP "varmint" bullets or a lead bullet from Accurate Molds. I use the 31120B mold for my lead bullets. I shoot them at respectable velocities from the T/C and they are dead on accurate. I size to .311 on the lead bullets.

Finding the .32-20 barrels is now a matter of luck. I bought mine decades ago in the late 80's when T/C still made them. It was one of my first barrels.

It is in fact a .32-20. As mentioned, T/C made their barrels with .308 bores (actually groove to groove is .308). The chamber is pure .32-20. Any 32-20 reloading die set will work. It is not a wildcat.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 02-18-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I have one with .223 , .357 Herret , .30 wcf. Don’t shoot it much because I can’t get it to work right won’t cock no matter what I try .
    Try this. https://youtu.be/qEgAOKpSdkM

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Thank you for that Tar Heel. Mine only has the one washer, and is finicky about cocking the hammer back. I’ll try the videos recommended two washer trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only have 1 barrel now and it is chambered for the 6.5 carcano. I used a old rusted out 7 tcu barrel that I had laying around and used it as a stub with a 6.5 shieln barrel that was gathering dust. to my surprise this turned out really well. just shooting cast out of it for now. the barrel is 12 1/4" long.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210218_224209.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	278011

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Had the same thing happens when I put a new stock on. Turns out if the stock bolt is too long they won’t cock. A washer or two under the bolt head and it works like a charm. Don’t know if that’s the problem but worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post

Boolit Master
    I have a 7-30 waters, 20 tactical, and 218 bee barrel for my contender. Im always looking for more and have had several other barrels. I regret letting my 375 Winchester carbine barrel go the rest were fun to play with but got old. I'd like to find a carbine barrel in 7-30 waters to play with. Mine is a 14" and actually very impressive at 200 yards.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Mold
    My journey started in 1985, with a contender in 223. Since then I have aquired 5 frames and 19 barrels of various calibers. Many a deer have fallen to my 357 Rem Max, 30/30AI and my personal favorite, the 7X30 Waters. Although I tend to shoot my Shiloh Sharps and 1885 low wall more these days, I still enjoy shooting shooting the Contenders!

Steve B.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt View Post
    My journey started in 1985, with a contender in 223. Since then I have aquired 5 frames and 19 barrels of various calibers.
    A story shared by thousands.

Boolit Bub

I just started my addiction... My better half got me an Encore about 6 years ago chambered in .30-06. It shoots like a dream... 1” groups at 200 yards.

Fast forward... Just retired from the Army and started a government job.

Picked up a new 20” .45-70 Katahdin barrel a few months ago
    Waiting for MGM to deliver a 16.25” custom bull barrel chambered in .45 ACP

Next on the wish list is a pistol frame and some sub 16” barrels.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I really got into the T/C Contender in the early '70s. I've owned & traded off at least a dozen different calibers over the years. I remember shopping in the "Shotgun News" & you could buy the less popular barrels for about $60 brand new. I remember buying a .22 magnum barrel for about that price. The Contender was touted as a hunting handgun, at which it excelled. I had a 10" scoped bull barrel .30-30 with a 1" tube Redfield in mounts that would shoot 1-1/2" at 100 yards off the bench. The recoil was so bad I had to add Hogue grips to tame it some. I managed to shoot a couple of deer & a turkey with it. I really liked the 10" .22 hornet barrel I had but like a dummy I sold it. Finally I rigged out the contender as a carbine in 7x30 Waters & I came to the conclusion that the carbine set-up was the best use of the frame. I eventually I became disenchanted with the Contender & all the barrels. I sold everything off except I kept the frame & one 10" Bull .22 LR barrel. Over the years the available barrels kept getting longer, heavier & in more rifle calibers for the "Handgun Contender". I kept asking myself, "How can a 14" scoped handgun in a rifle caliber still claim its handgun status". There are even some holsters you can carry one in strapped to the front of your chest. I enjoyed the journey, but I moved on to other rifle single shots. A fascinating gun & an interesting following by shooters!

Ha. Shotgun news. I miss those. I remember sitting down and reading my Dads shotgun news every time he got them. Thinking of which gun on each page I wanted the most. I think if I had one now I would do the same thing..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mmacro View Post
    I just started my addiction... My better half got me an Encore about 6 years ago chambered in .30-06. It shoots like a dream... 1” groups at 200 yards.

Fast forward... Just retired from the Army and started a government job.

Picked up a new 20” .45-70 Katahdin barrel a few months ago
    Waiting for MGM to deliver a 16.25” custom bull barrel chambered in .45 ACP

Next on the wish list is a pistol frame and some sub 16” barrels.
    MGM: good barrels but they have a tight chamber. Sometimes hard to use cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy

So after reading everyone's comments. I still don't know what's next. Lol. Lots of options new calibers I never thought about. 30-30 is definitely a top runner. Close behind is the .223 and .277 Wolverine. Was intrigued by a .256 win mag and lost interest when I couldn't find dies in stock on line.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a 256Win barrel a little under a year ago. At the time MidSouth and Midway both had dies. Fairly certain I got mine from MidSouth. I think the Redding dies are now "special order" from Midway. I like the 45ACP and 41Mag a lot, but I think my favourite day-at-the-range round is the 7TCU. I have yet to find a load for that that doesn't shoot well, and I have buckets of 223 range pickup brass for forming.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by joebaja View Post
    I picked up a 256Win barrel a little under a year ago. At the time MidSouth and Midway both had dies. Fairly certain I got mine from MidSouth. I think the Redding dies are now "special order" from Midway. I like the 45ACP and 41Mag a lot, but I think my favourite day-at-the-range round is the 7TCU. I have yet to find a load for that that doesn't shoot well, and I have buckets of 223 range pickup brass for forming.
    Yes. I am really liking the 7 TCU as well. I think it was my sons favorite too. Granted I have only taken them to the range once due to weather but I know I will be using that one a lot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    So after reading everyone's comments. I still don't know what's next. Lol. Lots of options new calibers I never thought about. 30-30 is definitely a top runner.
    .30-30 is nice. Lots of potential with cast bullets. Shown are cartridges with the Lee 309-170-F bullet in Lyman #2 alloy.

Attachment 278491
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 02-25-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast