Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Thompson center Contender following

I like them all so much shooting fun. I have a 7mm tcu, 44 mag,30 herret and 357 herret. All are 10in round.

Boolit Buddy
    Started shooting the Contender in '86.
    Currently have 2 frames and 14 barrels.
    Most are 10" with a few 14" and all are scoped.
    I LOVE the Contender!
    John D

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    I have one Contender, a carbine, with three barrels. The original factory 22 Hornet, a Bullberry 7x30 Waters, and a Virgin Valley (became MGM) 22 LR Match. All are accurate fun to shoot cartridges. The Waters has accounted for more than a few Whitetails.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 frames and a bunch of barrels, last one being a 25-20 carbine by MGM. my first one is a 21" stainless factory barrel they sent me for free when I bought a frame and barrel way back. it is accurate enough to be called a liar when you tell how small of groups it gets. whenever you see good barrels for sale, like on here, they are gone in an instant. saw several I would have liked to get, but too late.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Got my contender in 85, 7mm TCU - that was my introduction to reloading. In hindsight starting with a wildcat was trial by fire, but with my Speer #11 manual, a RCBS JR press, and a little guidance from a local IHMSA guru I got going in the right direction. I just received a fantastic 41 mag barrel from contender85 through the S&S here, I can't wait to shoot it. The contender is alive and well for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Have 6 frames ,one for the one carbine 7x30 i have and five for the pistol barrels from 7'' to 15''. Several pistol barrels. from 17hmr to 45-70. Probably 7-8 i have not shot yet.They are addicting and mostly what i hunt with.Most are very accurate. Fun to shoot even with the heavy Kickers.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been shooting one since 76, first barrel was a 44mad 10 inch octagon. That barrel, and the first generation grip, almost turned me off the gun! Was the most vicious recoiling gun I have shot! Traded that barrel for a 256Win bull barrel and some money! Been in love ever since. Mostly shoot 357 Herrett 14 inch now. Almost threaded my 21 inch LR but decided to leave it and find another to thread. You will wind up like the rest of us, I find barrels I forgot I had on occasion!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    My favorite is the 221 Fireball, ten inch bull barrel. It is the most accurate barrel I have. I've had it since the mid 1980's. It out shoots my XP-100 Remingtons on a regular basis.

Have:
    375 JDJ
    30-30 AI
    7-30 Waters
    6.5 Bower

Had:
    414 SuperMag
    45-70
    7 TCU
    6.5 TCU
    35 Rem
    30 Herret

I find that cases with a rim work best. While I see the merit in a straight walled case (certain states hunting regs), I much prefer a bottleneck case.

Boolit Master

Got my triggers done by JIM ISHMAEL down in Texas about 30 years ago: anyone else ever had him do a trigger job for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought my first one in 1976, a 10" octagon 22 Hornet. Owned a number of barrels since. I prefer rimmed cartridges. some of my favorites are 22 Hornet, 32-20, 357 Magnum, 7x30 Waters and 30-30 Winchester. Unfortunately used barrel prices are up considerably right now. S&W who bought TC years ago has done a poor job of producing both frames and barrels. Match Grade Machine (MGM) makes outstanding after market barrels. The Haus of Arms in Colorado has a good selection of aftermarket barrels in stock. Lehigh Defense has been trying to roll out a G1 frame for several years. However with the current state of affairs, new product developement will only suffer. Good to hear about your rediscovery, and how much your Son enjoyed it also.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy

Wow. Didn't expect so many responses. I guess the Contender is still going strong. I have been watching them on gunbroker and they always have bids.

I must admit. Out of all the great calibers that have been mentioned I am now intrigued by the .17 Squirrel. Never heard of it. Now I don't know what caliber is next. Maybe whatever falls at a good deal first

Jimb's 45-70 guys are nuts comment made me laugh. That is what my father had. Never did let me fire it. I was young though. One day maybe

What I would like to see is a bunch of Contender guys/gals get together at the range. Sorta a meet and greet with some range time.

Boolit Buddy

For those of you that already have 7-30 waters is the 30-30 still worth it? That was the round that drove me to wanting the contender but now that I have the waters it almost seams like not worth getting.

Boolit Master
    I have both a carbine and handgun in 30-30. They do well for me. Happy with both.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy

Good point Swamp

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    How many of you ever hear anyone really talking about Contenders anymore?
    In the circles I frequent, Contenders were never a hot topic. Though they have a following in some of the rimfire/cast centerfire silhouette matches. Their popularity probably has to do with the fact they're wood-and-steel single shots, and not black, high capacity, semiautomatic. They're not well-suited to the long-range steel game that's popular today too. You won't find them chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    I am curious what everyone's favorite barrel is and why?
    My favorite is a Bullberry pistol caliber carbine barrel. In times like today, it's cheaper to shoot cast 9mm projectiles than rimfire (assuming you're not buying primers for 30˘ apiece), and the rate-of-fire sets a nice pace that won't bankrupt you too quickly.

For deer and hogs and the like you'll find in Texas, Contenders will get the job done, if that's more your objective.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    In the circles I frequent, Contenders were

My favorite is a Bullberry pistol caliber carbine barrel. In times like today, it's cheaper to shoot cast 9mm projectiles than rimfire (assuming you're not buying primers for 30˘ apiece), and the rate-of-fire sets a nice pace that won't bankrupt you too quickly.

For deer and hogs and the like you'll find in Texas, Contenders will get the job done, if that's more your objective.
    I have always been more of a semi auto handgun indoor range person. Never really lived near an outdoor range. Except growing up and at that time my Dad and I shot Sporting Clays almost every weekend. So now it's time to learn to shoot a little further out. I find myself more drawn to handguns for this though. Life is good.

Boolit Master

Played with many flavors of barrels, the two keepers so far have been 7-30 and 357max. Wanted one since I was a kid and a buddies dad had one and a few barrels. Around Christmas about 6 years ago I got a great deal on a one with a 44 mag barrel and a nice case that holds 3 extra barrels and some ammo. That 44 barrel has gone down the road along with some others but I’d love a 17hmr and a 10mm.

Dannyd, I have one of his fine grips.

Bloodhound, Find a IHMSA silhouette match near you. They should start back next month. Everyone there will be shooting some sort of single shot. Most will be Contenders. I see you are in Texas. There are matches in Sweetwater and New Braunfels. Go here: http://www.ihmsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5029
    Last edited by 35isit; 02-13-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    Dannyd, I have one of his fine grips.

Bloodhound, Find a IHMSA silhouette match near you. They should start back next month. Everyone there will be shooting some sort of single shot. Most will be Contenders. I see you are in Texas. There are matches in Sweetwater and New Braunfels. Go here: http://www.ihmsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5029
    Thanks for the Information I have been reading about these matches for a couple months. Will be nice to go to a couple

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast