Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Thompson center Contender following

Just read the entire thread again this morning! Anyone new to the fold? I picked up another complete pistol at a gunshow this past weekend, a fairly late pre-easy open frame with a .45 Winchester Magnum 10" bull barrel. The gun looks absolutely new and I'm super anxious to get it to the range. I have a love of all things Thompson Center!
    Last edited by BobT; 12-17-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I'm new to the Contenders. I wanted one for years but was more interested in bowhunting but now have more interest in handgun hunting. I picked up an easy open frame and have bought 2-10" 30 Herrett barrels (one with irons and one with a scope mount), a Super 14 30-30, and recently traded into a 14" .223 Rem. I'm definitely hooked now. Still on the wait list for one of the SSK50 frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesubie View Post
    I'm new to the Contenders. I wanted one for years but was more interested in bowhunting but now have more interest in handgun hunting. I picked up an easy open frame and have bought 2-10" 30 Herrett barrels (one with irons and one with a scope mount), a Super 14 30-30, and recently traded into a 14" .223 Rem. I'm definitely hooked now. Still on the wait list for one of the SSK50 frames.
    Welcome to the obsession! I finally got my hands on my SSK50 frame. I like it pretty well so far but I haven't fired it yet. I have a .30 Herrett that is one of my most accurate barrels. I have a .223 that is very accurate as well and the .30-30 is a favorite (my current .30-30 is the AI version).

Boolit Bub
    I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of my obsessions. Contenders, Single Action Rugers, reloading, casting, lever action carbines, woodworking, raising sheep, the list goes on. I suppose I'll always have something to do. And good thing I have an understanding wife.

Boolit Buddy

Haven't pulled out the contenders in a while. I am now on a lever gun kick. Ended up giving one of my contenders to my son (7mm TCU) for his Birthday last year. Of course I had to give him a reloading setup too so he can shoot it when he moves out. Only have the 357/44 Bobcat left.

I do regret selling the 309 JDJ barrel. I'll more than likely get another some day.

Boolit Bub
    Looking to get into a contender. What’s the best cast bullet barrel to look for to deer hunt? 30-30? 44 mag? What’s your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    Looking to get into a contender. What’s the best cast bullet barrel to look for to deer hunt? 30-30? 44 mag? What’s your opinion?
    I would probably stick with one of the .357 or larger bore cartridges although the .30-30 will work too! The various .357s should all work well with cast as would the .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .45 Winchester magnum, anything on up to the .45/70 in factory barrels. Contenders are too much fun! I am currently working on a cast load for the .375 Winchester and am about to start working on one for the .357 Max too. I will add, the old octagon .44 Magnum Hotshot barrels are the hardest kicking Contender barrels I have ever shot and also probably the most common .44 Mag. barrels found for sale, I have no desire to ever shoot another one!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    For 10" my recommendations are as follows:

A standard 10" in 44 mag and open sights has a reputation for being punishing with full power loads. People use them and they are effective, but pay attention to your hands/wrists and limit your range sessions if needed.

A 41 mag from a 10" barrel can be pretty much just as good for effective range as a 44 mag, will have good terminal performance with cast and will have a little less recoil than the 44.

My 357 max only shot good when loaded hot, and was bad news for my wrist if I shot more than a handful of rounds at the range. It is the only Contender barrel I have sold off. In 35 cal, I think 360 Dan Wesson is actually better. The 360 DW can be loaded to near 357 max velocities while using less powder resulting in overall less blast and recoil. It is also more likely to be happy if you want to use 357 mag for "just shooting".

The 30 Herrett has a reputation for being a great 10" deer barrel, but this is with normally done with 110 - 130 gr jacketed bullets. The 30 Herrett is usually easy to find as a used barrel. If you are wanting a new made 30 cal barrel, I strongly recommend the 300 BO over the 30 Herrett. It will get the same velocities as the 30 Herrett (the higher allowed pressure offsets the smaller case capacity), has much less risk of frame stretch, and is better from a brass perspective.

I have a 7 TCU and love it for IHMSA. I feel it is kind of small for cast and deer. I am not sure how easy it is to find good jacketed bullets that will perform well at 7 TCU velocities.

For a 14", my recommendations are as follows:

The 44 mag recoil will be much less of an issue with the longer barrel. This is a good choice and effective range is based on your field accuracy. Wind drift and bullet drop are bigger issues than with smaller calibers.

The 41 Mag is also a good choice for cast again. It can be pushed to nearly the same speeds as the 44 with close to the same weight bullets. This results in less velocity loss at longer ranges and also helps with good penetration.

The 357 max, 350 Legend or the new 360 Buckhammer will all do about the same with small pros and cons for each. For cast, you will not get much better for effective range. I have a 357 Max and think is is probably just a tad better for the contender.

For a 14", the 30-30 becomes a more attractive choice for a 30 cal. However the 30 Herrett and 30 BO are both pretty good. Again, for 30 cal, jacketed probably has an edge, but cast is not terrible to consider.

The 7-30 Waters is another that has a great reputation when used with jacket bullets. The 7 TCU will shoot faster in 14" than in 10", but I am not how much the extra does in terms of extending the effective range.
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-27-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Boolit Master

My 14" 30-30 barrel is my favorite cast barrel.
    I bought it specifically for shooting cast bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for replies. This is why I want a contender. Allows so many good options.

Boolit Master

I have two frames both are pre easy open in 10" octagonal barrel I have .256 WM , 30-30, & 357-44 B&D . The 357-44 B&D is a early poorly engineered barrel with the containment screw for ejector in the barrel lug bottom . A couple year ago it broke and they stopped repairing or replacing them under S&W management .
    I also have a 14" 44 Magnum barrel and two other .357-44 B&D barrels a ten inch bull barrel with internal choke so effective length is about 8.3 inches. I also have a 27" MGM barrel in 357-44 B&D it is by far the most accurate barrel I have .
    I guess I would call the 357-44 B&D my favorite If I could get better bullets for the .256 WM I would like it better .
    The velocity of the .256 WM in 10" barrel is lower then any currently made .257 bullets will reliably expand at . The 25-20 flat point bullet will expand however it shoots terribly in my gun.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    .30 Herrett is very accurate and does take deer. A better option is the .357 Herrett. As for my experience, the .357 H did a better, quicker job of it. Of course, the .44 mag does quite well, too.

Regards the 30-30 VS the 44. The 30-30 in a 10" Contender with 31 grains of 3031 and the 165 RCBS silhouette bullets will give you "stout" recoil and very good accuracy. Same load with a 165 Speer SP. I had a set of Packmeyers (signature grip and forend) on mine to add weight to it. It is accurate from 50 to 200. Shot deer and hogs with the 10" TC and a 10" Merrill with the same load. Had a 1,800 Fps GC w lube 4227 load that was also very good.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Hands Down, the 357Herrett has been my Favorite..slightly better accuracy, than, the 7TCU, and more powerful!! A bit Violent...but, Effective!
    The 7TCU is hard to beat if that much Report and Recoil is not desired. Note, I only use 10" barrels. Thus the 44 Mag is Not really in the Game.
    Honerably mention the 45Win Mag.. Easily runs with the 44 Mag...But shoots 45ACP like a House Afire...actually need to Try to Miss!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Hands Down, the 357Herrett has been my Most Accurate..slightly better than, the 7TCU, yet more powerful!! A bit Violent...but, Effective!
    The 7TCU is hard to beat if that much Report and Recoil is not desired. Note, I only use 10" barrels.
    Do you mind sharing what projectile you are using in the .357 Herrett barrel? I haven't even fired mine yet but am anxious to get started on load work up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Do you mind sharing what projectile you are using in the .357 Herrett barrel? I haven't even fired mine yet but am anxious to get started on load work up.
    I started with the 200 gr Rem. Soft point...didn't like the recoil nor the FPS... Went 150 gr Rem PSP...Remarkable accuracy, and No Deer hit with it has even Kicked...DRT!!! Yes, I like the 200 or even 220 Cast with GC...But, Not in that Barrel...I use those in my 35 Remington,(98 Mauser) ...and Push 'em Hard.. Those Cast do Better in that 35 Rem. than the Jacketed do.. and the FPS is right there with jacketed...or Better!!
    Anyway, 150 Rem PSP, over AA1680...and I don't plan on Changing!!!!

I started with the 200 gr Rem. Soft point...didn't like the recoil nor the FPS... Went 150 gr Rem PSP...Remarkable accuracy, and No Deer hit with it has even Kicked...DRT!!! Yes, I like the 200 or even 220 Cast with GC...But, Not in that Barrel...I use those in my 35 Remington,(98 Mauser) ...and Push 'em Hard.. Those Cast do Better in that 35 Rem. than the Jacketed do.. and the FPS is right there with jacketed...or Better!!
    Anyway, 150 Rem PSP, over AA1680...and I don't plan on Changing!!!!
    Good to know, thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Dang! Now I want a 357 Herrett.

Boolit Buddy
    You won’t be sorry. Mine is super accurate. I shoot 158 SWC GC bullets out of mine.

Honerably mention the 45Win Mag.. Easily runs with the 44 Mag...But shoots 45ACP like a House Afire...actually need to Try to Miss!!!
    I just got my first .45 Winchester Magnum barrel the other day, it came on a frame I wanted or I probably would never have acquired one. I really need to try it I guess. It came with a 50 round box of ammo so I might as well shoot those up anyway.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast