Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Thompson center Contender following

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    I just sent SSK an email hoping they would send me their updated load data on 309 and 375 JDJ and asked them in a side note if the had a rough idea on when the SSK-50s would become available again. I will post when they respond.
    Update to the above. They didn't say anything about the frame but they did send me load data on both cartridges . If you would like me to email it to you message me. Has quite a bit more then I have seen elsewhere.

Boolit Bub
    In March, they told me mid summer. I didn’t think to ask what year. I ordered one of each for me and the wife when they first announced them. Hopefully they will get it right.

Boolit Buddy

I'm sure this last year has slowed it down a bit. Either way, looking forward to it myself

Boolit Bub
    I am too. I hope they do well with it. I hope Troy with Bullberry Legacy can get woodwork started again. The revolution stocks are nice but they are one of the few for grips, stocks and forend.

Boolit Buddy
    Have not read this whole thread. But I am a fan of the Contender and Encore. Never had a lot of barrels. But my first was a .357 Max super 14. It was down right unfair to any deer inside of 125 yards if I could get my 2 power Burris on it and steady. Now have a G2 in .44mag and a Encore Muzzy. Encore Muzzy wasnt a favorite until I finally found a sabot bullet and powder combo. It is routine to shoot 1.25 inch groups with it. And Ive shot many sub 1 inch groups with it.
    Now that Smith and Wesson has shut down all Thompson Center production I am hoping another concern who cares about the product enough picks up production and runs with it. Im looking forward for the frame from SSK to go into production.
    Last edited by doulos; 05-09-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I have been watching it also. Doesn’t sound like S&W is going to sell any of the tooling. Just the name which will make it a lot tougher for the next guy to pick up where they left off. Then again. I haven’t been into anything TC related newer then 1980. Except barrels maybe. Just getting started though.

Banned
    mY FAVORITES ARE .32 H & R Mag, .256 win. Mag. .257 JDJ .257 TCU, 7 MM TCU. 30-30. 7-30 waters. .39 & .357. The .257 is inexpensive to load as brass is next to free, 5.7 Grains powder and primer. Cast bullets and a blast to shoot. accurate at 25 yds.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by donald duck View Post
    mY FAVORITES ARE .32 H & R Mag, .256 win. Mag. .257 JDJ .257 TCU, 7 MM TCU. 30-30. 7-30 waters. .39 & .357. The .257 is inexpensive to load as brass is next to free, 5.7 Grains powder and primer. Cast bullets and a blast to shoot. accurate at 25 yds.
    There's a few new calibers I haven't seen. What is the parent cartridge on the two .257's you are talking about. Not sure if its the JDJ or the TCU that you added your load data for but I am curious about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0822.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	285375 my tc g2 rifle is in .375 jdj, i shoot a 220 gr hornady and cronied 2300 fps with no pressure signs. i shot a decent size doe this year at close to 90 yards quarding away and dumped her in her tracks(complete pass thru). i want to try and get the 225 gr serra SPBT to 2500 fps if i can safey.

Boolit Buddy

Contender fan here myself. Looking to get into IHMSA here in a bit when I return from the sand box. I have just one frame, an easy open and would like to add more. I got several barrels 17 ackly hornet, 221 fireball, 223, 256 win mag, 30 and 357 Herrett, 44 mag. Would like to add a 7x30 waters, I had one a few years ago and kick myself for getting rid of it. Also like to add a 22 hornet or K hornet as well as anything else that come along at a good price. It's easy my favorite firearm in my safe. I can't choose a favorite caliber as I like them all.

Boolit Buddy
    "Also like to add a 22 hornet or K hornet as well as anything else that come along at a good price."
    Good luck with finding barrels at a good price. I started buying 10" barrels about 10 years ago and the ones I paid $125 to $150 for are now going for more than double to triple that!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bloodhound689 the .257 TCU is 223 necked up to .257, and I guess the .257 JDJ is based on the 225 Winchester case. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    Wow. Didn't expect so many responses. I guess the Contender is still going strong. I have been watching them on gunbroker and they always have bids.

I must admit. Out of all the great calibers that have been mentioned I am now intrigued by the .17 Squirrel. Never heard of it. Now I don't know what caliber is next. Maybe whatever falls at a good deal first

Jimb's 45-70 guys are nuts comment made me laugh. That is what my father had. Never did let me fire it. I was young though. One day maybe

What I would like to see is a bunch of Contender guys/gals get together at the range. Sorta a meet and greet with some range time.
    Here you go Bloodhound,https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/...4/m/9890094007

We used to do these shoots a couple of times a year, hopefully we can get them going again. I'm sure that anyone that wants to come to the shoot would be most welcome. If you don't have a Contender you are welcome to shoot mine all you like!

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but have been a Contender fan since buying my first one in 1979. I have several frames and barrels with my personal favorites being the .30-30 AI, .22 Squirrel and .30 Herrett. I am currently working with the .375 Winchester/.38-55, 7-30 Waters and .357 Max along with an open sighted .357 Magnum I just traded for.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Bloodhound689 the .257 TCU is 223 necked up to .257, and I guess the .257 JDJ is based on the 225 Winchester case. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info. I am now looking into the .358 JDJ. Pretty sure before it is over i will look into them all.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Here you go Bloodhound,https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/...4/m/9890094007

We used to do these shoots a couple of times a year, hopefully we can get them going again. I'm sure that anyone that wants to come to the shoot would be most welcome. If you don't have a Contender you are welcome to shoot mine all you like!

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but have been a Contender fan since buying my first one in 1979. I have several frames and barrels with my personal favorites being the .30-30 AI, .22 Squirrel and .30 Herrett. I am currently working with the .375 Winchester/.38-55, 7-30 Waters and .357 Max along with an open sighted .357 Magnum I just traded for.

Bob. I would really enjoy going to your meet. It is just a little out of my reach for this year.

As far as calibers for the contender, I am up to two frames and the following barrels. 7mm TCU, 7-30 Waters, 309 JDJ, and 375 JDJ. My favorite of them all is the 375 JDJ but i do enjoy the 7mm TCU almost as much as a plinker. I am still new to the longer range shooting (anything passed an indoor 25 yard range). I will get better with practice and do enjoy every trigger pull (good hit or not).

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate all the help on the 7-30 JDJ. Finally got to the range and that round shoots like a Dream. Punching elongated holes at 50 yards with 5 shot groups. Making the brass is a pain in the rear end but it was all worth it. Now just need to find a good pistol scope to replace the rifle scope on it. And then on to the 44 MAG.

Boolit Master

Goofy
    Is that last group/chrony data from a 30-30?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Bub
    Picked up a new Encore muzzle several weeks ago without knowing Smith is trying to spin off the brand, really hoping they do it right and don't tank the brand, was just starting to like Smith.

Anyhoo, originally wanted to get a TC so that I could get a rifle length 223 barrel with iron sights for shooting subsonic 55gr cast, but the Encore muzzle was the only receiver I could find. Then I ended up pulling the trigger on a 24" 30-06 barrel with iron sights first as my first barrel purchase. 30yrs ago, I wanted a Ruger No1 in 30-06 in the worst way, that memory came back and I'm excited it's working out with a TC. Now I'm thinking a rifle length 44mag barrel might cut in line ahead of a 223 barrel.....sounds like it will come down to whichever I find first.

Hoping I don't get the sickness badly as the rest of you, don't have enough room or time for new the barrels, dies, and casting supplies that come with new cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    With my eyes frankly the optics are a big chunk of the thing slowing down my mass purchases of Contender stuff. Maybe time to look at that laser eye surgery, I'm an accuracy fanatic tho in rifles so a bit of a double bind. What I get for growing up varminting I guess! A 223 barrel for mine hmmmmmm

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older one (70's) in .45 Colt with the screw on 410 choke, fantastic shooter.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast