MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New experiment why my handi rifle

New experiment why my handi rifle

So y'all know about my little H&R ultra varmint and how it's .... finicky. Sent me down a deep little rabbit hole when it comes to these guns , manged to get her consistently shooting 1.5" groups all day and I had a lot of people who mess with these things constantly that that was a pretty decent accomplishment. Deal was that was off of a rear bag and front rest.

7/10 times i shoot off a bipod and these things are just notorious for hating being shot off a bipod . The deal is the best accuracy for these comes from either resing it right next to the trigger Gaurd or off hand shooting. Now I have a theory behind that but that's bit of a long post .
    Anyhow seems resting it further up the for arm is bad closer to the trigger Gaurd is good. With that being said , where is the the swivel stud where you usually mount you bipod? Right at the end up the for arm, THE WORST PLACE YOU WANT TO REST YOU GUN ! So why no move it closer to the trigger Gaurd ? Well order a bunch of sling swivel studs a while back and decided why not. Go one and and with a little eye balling I got it places so your bipod will be as far back as possible and still let the gun open up completely and now

And I got this new little chineseum bipod that can do a 45 and a 90 so I'm really curious what this will do as far as accuracy

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Interesting post, and nice to see your rifle. I've just recently gotten mine out of the safe and I'm looking for my stash of 270 Winchester cases. If I don't find them soon I'll load some ammo for one of the other barrels. Keep up the good work; these are nice rifles.

I have more of these than I know what to do with. Only one has a bipod, and it is there just for looks.

At the range my hand as close to the trigger as I can get it, with my hand resting on a low bag.

That or offhand is what works best for me. I'd say your on the right track.

.357 mag and .444marlin are my most accurate with the .223 in the middle of the pack.
    Both of those wear 4x12 scopes. The increased power at 100 is pretty handy, and really helps with nice tight groups.

Both are on a steady diet of cast boolits and small amounts of Red Dot powder.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I found a couple of things that work for me. I don't use a bipod and I support the gun on the action instead of the forearm. Also I have modified the forearm. I remove the plastic piece on the back of the forearm and drilled a hole into the forearm between the plastic piece and the forearm. I put a fairly stiff spring in the hole and reinstalled the plastic piece leaving the plastic piece with a slight gap from the forearm. I also opened the forearm screw hole a bit and do not completely tighten the forearm screw. This allows the barrel to have a consistent pressure against the action. I was getting about a 2" vertical string of shots as the barrel warmed. This cured the vertical stringing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Eager to hear your results with this kind of bi-pod set up. I love my H&R but it can be frustrating. Hope you find success, 'cause I'd like to improve mine as much as I can.

Curious as to caliber?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

The Hornet can be a bugger, small cases, varying case capacity and small charge weight add in the handi rifle and you’re juggling 4 or 5 balls. I believe you’re a tinkerer and will eventually find a magic combo. Just a thought, but what is twist rate, I believe there were several rates used during their production. Some were 1-16 and some 1-12 you might get better accuracy with heavier bullets.
    PS had a chance to try any of the boolits I sent?
    Tim

Boolit Master

When I was first experimenting with a old set of .224 bullet swage dies I did not want to shoot them from my Mini -14 . I really wanted a 16 or more inch barrel for my Contender in .223 rem . Talking to a gun shop owner he says we have this Rossi break open for $119 on sale I think for extra $20 or $30 I could of also got a 20 gauge barrel .

I bought it and did most of my experimenting with the gun it has a whip thin barrel and sometimes the shots would go wild other times they would go in to 3/4" at 100 yards . What I figured was happening is the action is not stiff enough and the amount of barrel support and placement of that support is critical. A couple years later I modified the gun and sleeved the barrel , the muzzle was threaded and a heavy electrical conduit slid over barrel a tapered nut was tightened and the barrel held stiffer . The wild shots are just as bad if the gun is not held the same each shot ,however light loads do shoot a lot closer to full power loads then they did with the gun unmodified .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Good looking rifle. Looking forward to hearing how it works out moving the bipod back. I have on in .243 and have not shot it much since I have had it. I made up some hand loads and going to start seeing if I can make mine shoot, but seems like it's gonna rain every Sunday. That's my day to shoot lol.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snipin101 View Post
    Good looking rifle. Looking forward to hearing how it works out moving the bipod back. I have on in .243 and have not shot it much since I have had it. I made up some hand loads and going to start seeing if I can make mine shoot, but seems like it's gonna rain every Sunday. That's my day to shoot lol.

For some reason that rifle just does it for me. Sharp looking single you have there.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Agreed ! Always been partial to the full stock Mannlicher look.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the compliments. It started life as a regular ultra. I got it from a coworker super cheap. I found the handguard online and fitted it. Then while walking around I found the Weaver k10 in a box from where the owner sent it to Weaver and had it reworked and then never installed it on a gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Love your post Wolfie! Keep 'em comin'

Moderator Emeritus

Just to share my accuracy improved when I put an o ring between the stock and the fore-end. I never found torque specs on the screws but tried to snug them equally.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Interesting topic. I have a Topper which is basically the same thing. It's currently a 20 gauge but once time allows I'm going to make at least 2 barrels from blanks. One a 7-30 Waters and the other a 22Hornet AI.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking today while driving home about these rifles. It seems barrel harmonics on these can be a little crazy. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a machined nice muzzle break like the ones from witt machine company on these guns? Adds a little extra weight out on the end and might change the harmonics for the better, or worse I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by snipin101 View Post
    I was thinking today while driving home about these rifles. It seems barrel harmonics on these can be a little crazy. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a machined nice muzzle break like the ones from witt machine company on these guns? Adds a little extra weight out on the end and might change the harmonics for the better, or worse I dont know.

I can't comment at this time since I have nothing but a 20 gauge barrel currently. I suspect any rifle caliber would shoot fine provided it's a decent barrel, correctly chambered and a bit of load development is done.

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Curious as to caliber?
    I think .223 because the load on the target says “24 grs of Tac.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one in .22 Hornet and I could not get it to shoot well enough to justify keeping it. I hope you have it figured it out. Nice little guns.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Just to share my accuracy improved when I put an o ring between the stock and the fore-end. I never found torque specs on the screws but tried to snug them equally.
    That's an excellent point. I've tightened groups on NUMEROUS rifles with the judicious application of O-rings and rubber gasketing.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast