Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waltz 22lr resizing die

Boolit Master
    The only time this sizer would act upon the case, is if it is larger in diameter, than what the bullet was being sized to. And that is not supposed to be.

The die set comes standard with 2 bullet punches. A hollow pointer, and a Eley punch, which is a flat point with a little nub in the center, which Eley uses on their match ammo. It has a good track record. In addition, I had requested a 3rd punch, at extra cost, which is a true flat point.

You can make some nasty looking hollowpoints, in addition to some almost wadcutter bullets, using the flat punch. I have seen advertised, trim dies, that you can file flat the tips of the bullets to get the flat points. Using the Waltz dieset, you can accomplish this instantly, without losing any bullet weight. Lots of interesting prospects, which in the future will be explored. The trouble now, is getting, different ammo to try.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 03-07-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Mine sizes to .224" & does pretty good with low grade match ammo. Cheap blammo ammo, not so much.

Boolit Master
    I lapped mine out. It measures now .2248, which is good enough. I tried a small lot of CCI std velocity ammo. It was a little breezy, but I was getting 5 shot 1/2" range groups at 50 yards, between the gusts, with the 513T. Not much difference between the before and after. If there was any, it was shooter induced. Of course the CCI ammo was .224 right out of the box, and was good accurate ammo to start with. I have some CCI Blazer ammo, that I think might show more of a difference. There are many intricacies here to affect accuracy. Overall length, type of punch you are using, which lot and brand of ammo, and what rifle you are using. You could fire a lot of rounds, until you find the magic combination. Eventually, I will get there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    I ordered one, and it came in 6 days. Fast service. Mine must be undersized, as .2241, as what mine sizes to. Verified with two different micrometers. I haven't done any serious testing with ammo that's been through it, as the weather won't cooperate. I have a 513T, and a 75 Win target available to test with. I may have to try lapping to the .225 diameter, if the .2241 bullets don't shoot better than the factory diameters. I do know that the bullets are a consistent .2241 diameter, after going through the die, which should be a positive thing.
    Are to using a punch (the dimple one) to actually swage the bullet out to a larger diameter? Simply running the rounds up into the die w/o swaging with the nose punch will not increase the diameter.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    I lapped mine out. It measures now .2248, which is good enough. I tried a small lot of CCI std velocity ammo. It was a little breezy, but I was getting 5 shot 1/2" range groups at 50 yards, between the gusts, with the 513T. Not much difference between the before and after. If there was any, it was shooter induced. Of course the CCI ammo was .224 right out of the box, and was good accurate ammo to start with. I have some CCI Blazer ammo, that I think might show more of a difference. There are many intricacies here to affect accuracy. Overall length, type of punch you are using, which lot and brand of ammo, and what rifle you are using. You could fire a lot of rounds, until you find the magic combination. Eventually, I will get there.
    There certainly are many variables. Having gone through many different testing gyrations I've simplified it considerably so it works for me when testing new lots of ammo (Usually a "brick" of 500 or two) or different 22LR ammunition. In testing for improvement of accuracy I've simplified it to 3 basic different swage (either with the dimple or the HP) lengths.

Using the dimple for example; I found, if there was going to be an improvement of accuracy, it would occur with the nose tip swaged to close to one of 3 different meplat diameters. Those being; .120", .140 and .175". You see them here;

Attachment 279793

Once the die is adjusted for those nose meplat diameters the OAL of the die [from mouth of die to top of seating stem] is measured for each and recorded for that brand and lot of ammunition. The consistent OAL can be obtained by simply adjusting the OAL of the die to the desired measurement. For the 3 different meplat diameters as pictured the OALs were; 3.285", 3.265" and 3.245". Of course each different type/make of 22LR will have different measurements because of different OALs of the ammunition and different nose shapes. Thant's why recording for future use the OAL of the adjusted Waltz die is important.

Using this method it is easy to repeat with excellent consistency the swaging to the same consistency additional ammunition of the same type/lot if acquired. With some type/makes such as CCI Blazer i've found the one 'accuracy" setting seems to work well for all different lots.

With HPing I measure the die OAL when the desired diameter of the reswaged HP is achieved giving reliability of feeding, accuracy and increased terminal effectiveness. .
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry makes a good point. Swage just enough to get the bullet enlarged to the size of the die. More seems to do harm rather than good to the accuracy.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12