Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: corbin press question

Boolit Master

corbin press question

i have a corbin press that is called the "silver". its small C type; about 2/3 the size of a rockchucker. i know that its no longer made. the question that i have is. what is its purpose since it is not large like swaging presses?

Boolit Master

The Corbin web site (sites - there are a couple of sites all linked together) is not always the easiest to navigate. But; from their website concerning the Silver Press:

Silver Press

Silver Press CSP-3 The Corbin Silver Press is a discontinued model that was replaced by the more powerful and versatile S-Press. The Silver Press is similar to the Mity Mite press originally developed by SAS dies and produced by Corbin in the early 1970s. It was a horizontal stroke swaging machine that did much to popularize the concept of home bullet making and custom bullet making as a cottage industry.

The CSP-3 press only used type -M dies, which were 3/4-inch diameter but had a 5/8-24 threaded tendon to fit the ram. The press design was such that the ram and die moved back into the cast frame on the back stroke, so a larger die could not be put into the ram. The CSP-1 S-Press used a system where the die did NOT retract into the frame of the press, so nearly any size die could be used. Both type -M and type -S (1-inch OD) dies screw directly into the ram of the CSP-1 press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csp-3s.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	277407

The CSP-3 is shown only for reference and historical value. Books and printed literature discussing this press should be regarded as obsolete historical information. Parts are kept in stock for repair of existing Silver Presses. Any new purchase of an entry level swaging press should be the CSP-1 S-Press, which has a number of advantages and would cost no more to build today.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    thats the press that i have; but mine has 7/8-14 thread.

Boolit Master

Your thread for the external punch holder is 7/8-14.
    The die threads on the ram.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Mold
    I saw someone trying to sell a Silver press with a few dies for $2k in the 21st century. Seems like a bit much for such an old press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezana4CE View Post
    I saw someone trying to sell a Silver press with a few dies for $2k in the 21st century. Seems like a bit much for such an old press.
    Agreed. For that amount you'd be better off purchasing a larger press and a set of dies.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezana4CE View Post
    I saw that too on ebay I think? It's ridiculous price for something that's basically obsolete...I too rather pay for a new set of dies and press...

Boolit Master

I still use my Mighty-Mite to swage 25 cal bullets. Used M dies used to be available quite cheaply so I took advantage, sadly that is no longer the case. They work just fine even if the lead extrusions from the core swage dies are pulled back into the press body. A plus is you can use all your punches because the press uses 7/8-14 punch holders. It is a fine press for its intended purpose.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu