Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: A modernized Emmert's

Boolit Man

A modernized Emmert's

So I have been highly satisfied with Emmert's and variations on the original to satisfy all manner of BP lubrication needs. It's about time to fill the Lyman 45 and I no longer have any 50/50 on hand. Dangerous as it is, I got to thinking: what if I swapped the Crisco for Bag Balm (soft paraffin and lanolin) and the veg oil for 2-stroke and aimed for around the original 50/40/10, would I reasonably be able to expect any improvement for smokeless applications?

My particular concern would be running the 8mm KAR at the ~2000 fps mark and the .30-40 in the 1800 fps range with a 311041 clone, otherwise I'm predominantly shooting rifles sub-1800 and handguns would not exceed 1300 fps. I'd expect from what I have read that I could just stick with the Emmert's if I weren't feeding the Mauser heavy hunting rounds...

If folks are seeing reasonable results with 2-stroke oil blends in that velocity range, I'd be curious to hear feedback, otherwise I'll get to experimenting and if the temps ever stay above 20 and I can dodge snow for a day, I'll post some results.

Cheers!

Boolit Master
    Make up a very small batch. 100 ml will be enough to test it in all your firearms.
    Keep track of your ingredient quantities if you adjust the formula so you can duplicate it again if it works.

Moderator Emeritus

Your idea will likely work, But depending on which 2 cyl oil you use, you may want to limit it to about 2%, if Full Synth, or not more than 5% is not synthetic.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man

I stuffed these guys behind a pretty stiff 3031 load in some .30-30 cases yesterday manual says 2030fps or so, I know my barrel is shorter than test though. Not as tacky a lube as 50/50 which I'm fine with. I'll set up the chronograph if I can get to the range this weekend and see how it turns out. If 5 in a row don't show any leading I'll keep testing from there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210211_112432.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	277449

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man

Dragging this back from the dead... I finally got the opportunity to shoot the rounds last mentioned. At 1950 fps with a .310 diameter in my 336 I did not see any leading with them. I'll at some point end up shooting a good number more obviously. If I have any issues I'll get back to you all.

Good work! Keep at it.

Boolit Master

Yes, we are waiting.

Boolit Man

My apologies, I should have been less vague. I intend to load a up at least 20 and evaluate bore condition after consistent firing. I don't anticipate being able to for a bit, staring down the barrel of a move among other things.

I would expect at a certain point that the same recipe testing laid out for me at the start of this thread may be a wise course for others as well. Given how loads and barrels vary I'd be hesitant to say this stuff will work with certainty in your gun without data. After all, people have issues with commercial blends too.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk