MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder coated my first run of boolits

Boolit Man

Powder coated my first run of boolits

Title says it! I cast a few pounds about a week ago and finally got around to giving powder coating a try. I got almost a hundred on my tray and there was a lot of open space so I’m the future I expect more like 150 per tray. I used harbor freight white despite knowing it’s not a great option. I used it because it’s cheap, it’s available, and it’s cheap. The coating is very thin, but there are no bald spots. I will likely coat them again and try for a prettier boolit with round 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1641108A-A486-417D-8CCE-B6F8D60E313E.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	277287
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F85555C-BB48-4311-93A2-7BE99EB984EE.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	277288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78B164F6-DF26-4F43-A1ED-010F0F1412AC.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	277289
    Last edited by WestKentucky; 02-10-2021 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Got pic to work

Boolit Mold
    Hello fellow noob. You said cheap twice. I'm sure they'll work fine. I went with Eastwood Light Ford Blue since it was supposed to work so easy. And it does. Honestly if they're too pretty you probably won't want to shoot them!

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I recommend trying smokes powder. Smokes powder is cheap, And you can try 3 colors for $25 delivered.
    His powders are all tested verified shake and bake compatible.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Welcome to the PC world. It’s great stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    One reason I shy away from it is my fiancé would want all our bullets done that way.

I keep her away from this site....LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I'll second Smokes powder. I did my first batch PC last Spring and now currently looking for my first NLG mold for 9mm. It is not that hard if you keep it simple and use quality products. I can't wait to break out the red,white, & blue this 4th July. The old-timer's I shoot with are just amazed and feels good to share with them how easy it is.

Boolit Master
    I too did my first ones just a few days ago, sent smoke a note asking him to just send me 3 powders that seem to be the easiest to work with and a batch of bbs. Everything worked great, first try with wine red. Toughest thing was getting the oven setup, when set at 400 it first runs up to almost 600 so I have to back off to 300 and it comes down to 300 then move it back up to 400 and it hits it. I’d wire up a pid, but need to open up the oven and figure out how to power the fan separate from the heating elements and haven’t had time. Am going to drill a hole for a temp probe though.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your first run.

I also HIGHLY recommend getting some of Smoke's powders. I started with the HF powders,, and once I tried Smoke's powders,, I got several different colors.

Boolit Mold
    Please guide me about how to keep bullets standing at a distance in the oven tray without disturbing the coating layer of powder on them. When I touch them the powder layer gets disturb. Need help on this.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ameenkitekar View Post
    Please guide me about how to keep bullets standing at a distance in the oven tray without disturbing the coating layer of powder on them. When I touch them the powder layer gets disturb. Need help on this.

I used a set of stainless steel curved foreceps for my first few batches. If you rub too much with them you’ll get a bare spot. Tonight I tried blue nitrile gloves, rubbed a little powder on the finger tips and they worked better for picking and standing without removing powder, but there isn’t an easy way to tap off excess powder. Still, everything came out good so I’ll probably use gloves in the future.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks brother

Boolit Master
    Many of us who PC bullets do not bother trying to stand them up & keep them from touching etc.

My method;
    Shake with powder.
    Dump bullets into a plastic colander that's sitting in a plastic pan.
    Shake off the excess powder.
    Dump bullets onto a non-stick foil covered pan.
    Bake.
    Upon the timer of the oven going off,, while still warm,, I remove the tray, & gently shake the bullets onto another foil covered tray,, just to keep any possible stickers from staying stuck together.

When you do hundreds at a time,, this is a huge time saver.
    And, I still get paint covered bullets w/o issues.

This is just my method,,, and is also used by many others.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you brother for sharing experience.
    All powder coating paints give similar results on bullets or some specific powder paint is superior for bullets? In India I may not get specialized ones for bullets.
    Regards