Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standing up coated 22 caliber bullets

I size and apply gas check with a Lee push through sizer before PC so that wouldn't be a problem. One might also be able to size the brass used to punch the holes out a bit with a Lee neck flaring die. Or if one already has the Lee flaring die body a $6.50 neck sizing button from NOE that fits that body would give you a precise neck size of the brass that you use to punch the holes. Might even try some 1/4 (.25) tubing to see how hole from that would work. .That .027 difference in size might still be snug enough to prevent falling.

Has anyone tried tumbling bullets and PC in a FART? I'm sure an empty powder bottle would fit. Tumble seems like it might be more even than my vibratory brass polisher.

However you do your bake I do think you need a way to confirm the temperature inside is correct, thrift store toaster oven dial temp and inside temp are related but not that closely. I would say knob is about 40* off of actual on mine.

If I had a bigger oven and wanted to spend the extra money a PID might be very useful for baking PC. For now I use a thermometer and go to temp, then run for a set period of time +/- based on bullet mass or ambient temp then hammer test the end product. Bullet mass is a heat sink, count of bullets being near equal the 255 grain .45 bullets are going to keep oven from reaching full temperature longer than same number of 158 grain .38's or 70 grain .223 The tool I use, spring loaded small needle nose pliers determines how close bullets can get so count of ones that stand up doesn't vary by enough to make up for the additional mass of lead to warm to temp. Only talking 1 or 2 minutes at most difference.

Has this been tried with cheap Walmart silicon baking sheets?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    RogerDat, be careful and don't get those holes too small. You will scrape off the powder coat. I have tried the silicone mats and they work fine. I prefer parchment paper. I also use my t-couple bullet so that I know the approx. temp of my bullets. I do have a pid on my oven. What is a fart? One thing about the vibratory tumbler. It is a slow turning. The bullets are sliding down the inside of the bottles and not being tossed. I'll add one more thing,some of the guys are assuming that they can use this method when the humidity is high and still get stellar coats. I will post some photos of bullets I did today. Where I am at the temp is 26 F and the humidity is 90%. The top bullets were vibrating for 5 minutes and the bottom was vibrated for 20 minutes. I couldn't get the shake and bake to stick at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0633.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	277323
    Last edited by slide; 02-10-2021 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Bub
    I tried using the racks and got bare spots where they touched. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Attachment 277260Attachment 277261Attachment 277262

These are not very good photos but you will get the idea. You'll notice that the 22 bullet has tape around the base. That has been on there for several years. This was before I started using Hossfly's idea.
    The attachments do not work for me.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	278080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	278081

You can see the thermometer attached to the leg of the stand with the thermocouple going into the oven.

Boolit Master
    mrmachinist, did you use those metal racks?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    mrmachinist, did you use those metal racks?
    Yes used metal since I had it. I’m going to try the vibe method along with the silicone mats next.

Boolit Master
    I think you will have better luck. Remember not to cut your holes too small in your tray. If you use the tray as is the bullets will fall over and you will see those marks again. I gave the directions in page one of this post.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
    I tried using the racks and got bare spots where they touched. Is that normal?
    I would think if the cooling rack wires were touching the bullet during the cook it would leave a mark. I use the cooling racks to separate and hold the bullets until I get them into the oven, then I lift the rack off and load another shelf. Of course I am loading a cold oven and typically cooking about 1200+ bullets in my toaster oven.

Can't wait to try this out !
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

So far, with a limited statistical population of 150, I have found no change in point of impact with the "little lines" left by hardware cloth on 22-55-SP (RCBS) boolits out to 100 yards. Not as pretty as some, I've got a ways to go in getting this PC stuff down, but it's still getting the job done...

1. Not coated....2. Smoke's "Bacon Grease".....3. Lube Sized.....4. Smoke's Black

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12