MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad To Say 4D Rentals Lost My Recommendation

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Could the low demand for a 460 S&W reamer explain why you had such trouble trying to rent one?
    I don't think that would accurately explain it. If that were the case, then none of the rental guys would have one in stock for rental.

4D offered one for rent, I paid for the rental then 3 days later they sent me an email saying it was out being sharpened, they don't know when it will be back or when they will get another one.

Then they said to me, "please advise." If they already KNOW they don't have it, then WHY is it available for rental? And WHY didn't they automatically decline my paypal payment or immediately refund it?

Usually, if a rental business gets several requests for a product, they know they are missing out on rental fees by not having this product for rent so they make the investment, begin renting the product, and everyone is happy. If this is 4D's way of gauging whether they should or should not stock an item for rent, it's a piss poor way of doing business.

One of our members here posted several weeks back about trying to rent the same 460 S&W reamer from them, and they told him the same story about it being out getting sharpened. I can't find the post now but I want to ask him if he got his money back.

I am still waiting to hear something from them, and my paypal case will be open 10 days come tomorrow, at this point I think I will get an email from them asking if I want them to step in and help.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

All of the business I have dealt with lately dealing in firearms has been overwhelmed by the demand. 4D did have a notice on their website concerning the demand on their business, seems to be gone now. I rented a reamer from Elk Ridge with a headspace gauge, but instead of the headspace gauge they sent a .257" pilot for a reamer. Was difficult contacting them also but I finally got the gauge and things worked out ok.
    I bought 3 reamers and headspace gauges from PTG in the last month and a half or so. It did take time to get the stuff but they did ship items as they were completed so I was able to complete the guns as I got the tools. They do answer the phone promptly which is becoming a rare thing these days.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Pour business practice the way they treated you. Unfortunately, sellers like that exist. That’s why I always use PayPal if available. They will get your money back for you.

Boolit Grand Master

4D has been golden for me, excellent service for years now so I will continue to use them, they are close, fast and easy to deal with.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Ditto. And I'm just a talented amateur, not a pro gunsmith.

I buy from Dave Manson, whether standard or custom. Great service.

Ordered from Pacific once. Never again.
    took PT&G almost a year to get me a 22 savage HP and gauge, had my money all that time. I usually Order from Dave Manson.

Ron

Boolit Mold
    Will not use 4d reamer rental! I agree with DougGuy, placed an order for reamer on Jan 11, no response, sent email inquiry 8 days later, again no response. Place a phone call today, Jan 24, got a recording saying they were out of town. Sent second email today, Jan 24, cancelling order. Got an email response from 4d 30 minutes later stating my order was cancelled. Called Elk Ridge, talked to them, ordered the reamer I needed and it is on the way. Cost difference was within a few cents!

I've tried renting a reamer twice. Once was a .223 Rem reamer that had damage to the shoulder area. Unfortunately I didn't inspect it closely enough and it left a ring on the brass with every firing. Also caused excessive headspace if the damaged brass was resized for reuse.

Got stupid a second time and tried renting a reamer again. This time it was a 300AAC. Found out after the fact that it was a 300 Whisper. Yes, there IS a difference and factory ammunition wouldn't chamber. 4D Rentals both times.

NEVER again.

Boolit Master

“Out being sharpened” is probably code for “Haven’t gotten it back from the last renter(and might never)”.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used to deal with Pacific about ten years ago, and always had good service back then. Too bad things go downhill.

When the old Bauska Rifle Barrel Co. was selling out, they had a drawer full of Wildcat reamers John Buhmiller had made. I thought about buying some, but didn't know what I would do with a bunch of dangerous game wildcats!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Ok, I'm looking for the shotgun muzzle facing tool that brownells used to carry, 4D has one, but after reading this I'm a little concerned. Is there someplace else I can rent this tool from?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Keith might have that, if not then check Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals.

Keith Rice, White Rock Tool & Die 816-454-0478

https://www.elkridgereamerrentals.com/
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Manson has a new website, you can order from the website now (not a rental )

Boolit Grand Master

I have never had anything but the best experiences with PTG. I normally speak to Dave Kiff first and I only order carbide with the USR oil groove bushings. Maybe one or both of those is why I never had an issue. I believe I am up to 34 PTG reamers but maybe 7 or 8 are HSS from before I switched to carbide.

Carbide cuts the smoothest throats I have ever seen. I did a Krieger barrel for a friend's match rifle. He purchased the blank directly from Krieger. It walked as it heated up. Kreiger replaced it no problem but they wanted the barrel back for inspection. They contacted him asking who did the chambering. They stated it was the nicest finished chamber and throat they had even seen.

I've tried a couple of different reamer rentals. One started charging me late fees before the reamer had been delivered. The other sent one that was in need of resharpening or scraping. It had visible chips on the body.

I haven't used JGS or Manson recently but at one time they had a significant upcharge for custom grinds. PTG did not and most of mine have modified throats and or necks.

For a truly odd reamer that I don't intend on keeping I have and will continue to purchase new and resell on eBay.

The one out of spec new reamer I recieved came from JGS. It was a 22-250 AI that the body was about .012" large at the web area.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-27-2023 at 02:45 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Well, a couple of years ago I ordered a "K" Hornet reamer from PTG. They charged my card immediately and then took six months to deliver.

I ordered a custom .25 Stevens RF from Dave Manson in September. His shop is so busy that he doesn't answer his own phone or emails anymore. Got it in about seven weeks; girl had promised me 16-18. Solid pilot $185. Dimensions are spot on.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

This is good up to date information.
    I was saddened when Bauska Barrels stopped. Our last was a caliber .45 Oct. ending up a long throated 45-70 on a Navy Arms Roller we still shoot.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 01-27-2023 at 06:46 AM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I have rented reamers from 4 D 4 times and the last time will be my last. I rented a 303 British reamer and the one they sent was undersized and the owner argued that it shouldn’t be as they check them before sending them out. Well I had reamed the chamber on a single shot barrel and it was definitely to small to chamber a shell in so I measured the largest diameter just above the rim and it was only .451.
    I called back and talked to the owner again and he told me to send it back and he would send me a different reamer if the one I was returning was bad. I sent it back and they required it to be in a small flat rate box with insurance so that cost me over $ 10 at the time and when they received it they agreed it was under sized but wanted additional shipping to send me the second reamer .
    I called and told the owner and said this was none of my fault and now my lathe was tied up with the barrel indicated in that I was not going to take out and do over before they sent the second reamer arrived and I already paid return shipping once already.
    So I did get a good reamer and all went well reaming the second time , but they expected me to pay to return the reamer again using a SFRB and insurance and I said they would have to send me a label or pay for it some way as I already paid once and none of this additional inconvenience was my doing.
    I ended up calling my credit card company and telling them my problem and they must have contacted 4 D and got that straight and I finally got a shipping label sent to me.

Anyway the way they tried to make me pay shipping from them and return shipping on a reamer that should have right the first time and arguing about it and no we are sorry explanation.
    I am done renting from them, period.

Jedman

Last time I rented from 4D was April 2021. No problems then.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12