Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad To Say 4D Rentals Lost My Recommendation

Vendor Sponsor

Sad To Say 4D Rentals Lost My Recommendation

On Feb 2nd I rented a 460 S&W chamber reamer from them. Paid the $52.25 rental fee, a few days later they send me this in email:

Hi,

Sorry the reamer you ordered is being sharpened and we will order another one, however, we have no timeline when we will get them, please advise.

Thank you for your business,

MJ

www.4drentals.com

Your Source for Gunsmithing Tool Rentals

I replied:

If you are dealing with PT&G you will have nothing but problems. Call JGS (541) 267-4331. Please advise eta if you order from them. I found them MUCH better than PT&G to work with.

Doug

Got nothing from them.

Couple days go by, and I reply to them again:

If you can't come up with a 460 S&W chamber reamer from JGS or Clymer, within a reasonable time, please issue a refund of the paypal payment in the amount of $52.25 thank you.

They have had my payment for over a week. In the FIRST place, they stated they did not have and don't know when or if they will have another one, they SHOULD have issued a refund on the spot. Instead, they asked me to "Please advise?"

Like what do you want me to say keep the money it grows on trees? Go buy some scratch off tickets with it?

I have emailed them 3 times, got no reply, you CANNOT call them and leave a message, you can only email them or throw money at them those are your choices.

WHY do they show the item is available when they already know it isn't?

Another member here tried to rent the same 460 S&W reamer from them some time back, I remember reading it, and they told him it was out being sharpened.

At this point, I CANNOT RECOMMEND 4D RENTALS TO ANYONE.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    On Feb 2nd I rented a 460 S&W chamber reamer from them. Paid the $52.25 rental fee, a few days later they send me this in email:

Hi,

Sorry the reamer you ordered is being sharpened and we will order another one, however, we have no timeline when we will get them, please advise.

Thank you for your business,

MJ

www.4drentals.com

Your Source for Gunsmithing Tool Rentals

I replied:

If you are dealing with PT&G you will have nothing but problems. Call JGS (541) 267-4331. Please advise eta if you order from them. I found them MUCH better than PT&G to work with.

Doug

Got nothing from them.

Couple days go by, and I reply to them again:

If you can't come up with a 460 S&W chamber reamer from JGS or Clymer, within a reasonable time, please issue a refund of the paypal payment in the amount of $52.25 thank you.

They have had my payment for over a week. In the FIRST place, they stated they did not have and don't know when or if they will have another one, they SHOULD have issued a refund on the spot. Instead, they asked me to "Please advise?"

Like what do you want me to say keep the money it grows on trees? Go buy some scratch off tickets with it?

I have emailed them 3 times, got no reply, you CANNOT call them and leave a message, you can only email them or throw money at them those are your choices.

WHY do they show the item is available when they already know it isn't?

Another member here tried to rent the same 460 S&W reamer from them some time back, I remember reading it, and they told him it was out being sharpened.

At this point, I CANNOT RECOMMEND 4D RENTALS TO ANYONE.
    Send a copy of this with your next email. Hopefully you used a cc which can be canceled. They might change their tune knowing their prospective targets are seeing your comment.

Hope it turns around. I have been considering renting a throating reamer.

Sooo, why not just buy the reamer from JGS?

432 East Idaho Street, Suite C420
    Kalispell, MT 59901
    Phone: (406) 752-2520

Right there at the bottom of their landing page
    Last edited by uscra112; 02-09-2021 at 05:25 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I have not had good luck renting. Easier and cheaper to purchase and resell on eBay for the low usage stuff.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-09-2021 at 03:23 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have not had good luck renting. Easier and cheap to purchase and resell on eBay for the low usage stuff.
    Ditto. And I'm just a talented amateur, not a pro gunsmith.

I buy from Dave Manson, whether standard or custom. Great service.

Ordered from Pacific once. Never again.
    Last edited by uscra112; 02-09-2021 at 05:43 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

If you paid thru payPal contest it. Bet ya get your moneyback.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    I have rented from 4d several times. Never had an issue. Rented from ReamerRentals too, but they are more expensive and less time to use it. I got one that would not cut good at all, that was the last time from them.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Ditto. And I'm just a talented amateur, not a pro gunsmith.

I buy from Dave Manson, whether standard or custom. Great service.

Ordered from Pacific once. Never again.

Yup. Manson Reamers is the only company I use anymore. BEST service and best prices. Although they quote a rather generous lead time for custom stuff, I have found that more often than not, it arrives substantially sooner. If it's in stock, which is common for the "regular" items, it's just a few days. Like others have posted, buy the reamer and if one doesn't plan to ever use it again, it can be sold for half the cost and no hassle with the rental bs. I figure since I don't have to feed it or keep it warm in the winter, it can lay in my tool box until........
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    White Rock in KC MO is the best and cheapest I have found. No web site, call 816 454 0478. Allows 30 days of usage.

Vendor Sponsor

I have sent several emails to 4D Rentals, you can't even leave them a message on their phone, I got no replies to any emails, they still have my money, I had to go to paypal and open a case, I copied/pasted all the emails between them and me, 1 from them and 3-4 from me, and filed this with the paypal case.

I use Manson almost exclusively, and I will use JGS. Both wanted $240-ish + shipping and 8 to 10 weeks for a 460 S&W reamer with live pilot.

A call to Keith Rice, White Rocks Tool & Die produced a very affordable rental, although all has to be done by snail mail.

Keith has moved, here is his new contact information:

Keith Rice
    115 Resaca Retreat Dr.
    Los Fresnos TX 78566-4465

816-454-0478
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have only chambered 6 barrels so far and I used White Rock rental reamers each time with no complaints. Thanks for the update on them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    ^^^this^^^
    With paypal, the seller is always wrong.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    My last go round with 4D left a bad taste in my mouth, also. It will not happen again.

Any custom orders I need come from Dave Manson, I have been well satisfied.

Boolit Master

What he said.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Good luck Doug, it seems like they are hard to get in touch with by design. Another vote for Manson Reamers. When I bought one from them, Dave Manson answered the phone and answered all my questions and offered advice for a good 20 min. Just like the old days when you could call RCBS (on Saturday, no less) and have Fred Huntington answer the phone.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    ^^^this^^^
    With paypal, the seller is always wrong.
    Amen. Why I quit selling on evilBay about six years ago.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I sure didn't. PayPal was a joke and i ended up using my CC to get the money back
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Sooo, why not just buy the reamer from JGS?

432 East Idaho Street, Suite C420
    Kalispell, MT 59901
    Phone: (406) 752-2520

Right there at the bottom of their landing page
    $240 + shipping and 8 to 12 weeks lead time. JGS and Manson within $20 of each other. This is for a 460 S&W chamber reamer that will get used ONCE and sit on my shelf for years before I ever get another call for it.

I ended up renting a modified 45 Colt reamer with a nice long leade in on the front of it and the rim cutting flutes ground back so that you can make the chamber as deep as you want to, it had been sharpened enough times that the largest diameter it could cut was .480" in the back, which is well below SAAMI spec for 45 Colt chamber, but exactly SAAMI spec for 460 S&W chamber so that was even better. I couldn't have asked for a reamer with more perfect dimensions for this specific job. It did a wonderful job, I was able to give the customer back some of his money over buying a reamer, and the work is on the way back to him now.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    . . . . a 460 S&W chamber reamer that will get used ONCE and sit on my shelf for years before I ever get another call for it.
    Could the low demand for a 460 S&W reamer explain why you had such trouble trying to rent one?
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast