Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsupported Brass in .45ACP/Colt Redhawks

Boolit Buddy

Unsupported Brass in .45ACP/Colt Redhawks

I see that the brass is not fully supported at the rim in the .45Auto/Colt models of the Redhawk.

How much of a concern is this to the handloader? Will brass have a shortened life as a result? Will it be able to withstand the same "Ruger only" pressures in .45Colt, as brass that is fully supported?

Is the accuracy of the .45Colt compromised by accommodating the .45ACP moon clips?

Wondering if I should be looking for a straight 45Colt Redhawk....the ability to shoot .45ACP in a Redhawk isn't all that important to me.

Boolit Grand Master

You are incorrect. Redhawks, and most every revolver out there supports the case completely except the small bit for the extractor, which provides some support itself. Most case webs are thicker than the extractor anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You are incorrect.
    Am I, though?

He goes into it at 30 seconds in....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu5cwZKefcU&t=1s

Not supported. But i didnt buy one because, the first video review that came out had a misfire with the cylinder full of 45 acp.
    Second, moon clips are a pain to load & unload.

Pass on it.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...5-colt.799569/
    The link to video no longer works.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 02-08-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Its a non issue IMO. I know a few shooters who load up the 45 Colt to the point it is almost as powerful as a 454 Casull with no ill effects on revolver or brass in Ruger Redhawks.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Its a non issue IMO. I know a few shooters who load up the 45 Colt to the point it is almost as powerful as a 454 Casull with no ill effects on revolver or brass in Ruger Redhawks.
    I want to again specify, that I am referring to the .45ACP/45Colt model of Redhawk, that has the recess in the cylinder for the clips (which causes much of the 45Colt rim to be unsupported). My concern is how the brass holds up/doesn't hold up to it.

Please refer to the video I posted above.

Boolit Master

The rim is just for proper head spacing. Should not be a problem whatsoever.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    The rim is just for proper head spacing. Should not be a problem whatsoever.
    Then what is up with the scoring on the brass resulting from being shot in such a cylinder?

Boolit Master
    I had a Red Hawk 45acp/45colt I liked the grip but not the trigger or light strikes and could not get either to my liking so it moved on.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher45 View Post
    Am I, though?

He goes into it at 30 seconds in....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu5cwZKefcU&t=1s
    Yes, that is cut out for moon clips. The case is fully supported. The rim and web does not matter. Brass will hold up just as well as any other revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    The 454 runs at 65,000 PSI & has special steel cylinders to contain the pressure.

Photo from video link above.

Boolit Grand Master

An unsupported chamber and an unsupported rim are vastly different. In the OP's example the concern is only a relatively small area of support for the rim too headspace on. The only force that the rim is subjected to it the force of the firing pin pushing the case forward.

https://detroitammoco.com/unsupporte...oove%20outside.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-08-2021 at 09:12 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

38 special. Fully supported

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    38 special. Fully supported

Not really supported since the extractor star is lower than the cylinder and the extractor star is has some additional clearance verse the cylinder wall. Single action cylinders have 360 degrees of support if chambered in a rimmed cartridge for both the rim and the case. None of the revolvers with extractor stars have 360 degrees of support.

Brass life will not be shortened nor will the Ruger only loads be unsafe.

When the term unsupported chamber is use it is referring to the area above the web that doesn't have support. Glocks are famous for producing cases with the Glock smile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winchester_vs_starline_brass.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	277232
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-08-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The Ruger would be unsupported by .032"

Detailed Description

Designed for use with .45 Auto ammunition used in the Ruger® Redhawk® in .45 Auto/.45 Colt. These full moon clips are made from .032" thickness stainless steel and function as a speed loader as well as to assure positive ejection. The Moon Clips have an optimized charge hole design for positive ejection over a wide range of .45 Auto ammunition. The easy to load full moon clips act as a speed loader for quick reloads. The design allows for loading and unloading without the use of a moon clip tool. Sold in a three pack.
    Genuine Ruger® Factory Accessory

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The Ruger would be unsupported by .032"
    How much of that .032" is above the web???? If it's not above the web the case is fully supported. By your definition rims or extractor grooves would also be unsupported so there is no such thing as a supported chamber.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Gotta love internet "experts"! They don't have the money, nor the facilities to test a factory item,, where liability issues could shut the factories down. So an internet expert makes claims,, and it's taken as gospel,,, while a factory spends a LOT of money testing the products before selling something.

Oh, and BTW; I OWN a Ruger Redhawk, cut for moons & Colt. NEVER have I seen or had ANY issues with mine. But I'm not an internet expert either.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post

Oh, and BTW; I OWN a Ruger Redhawk, cut for moons & Colt. NEVER have I seen or had ANY issues with mine. But I'm not an internet expert either.
    It would appear that some report scoring of the brass, and others don't.

I don't know what else to make of it at this point.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher45 View Post
    It would appear that some report scoring of the brass, and others don't.

I don't know what else to make of it at this point.
    Scoring would most likely be scratches from burrs on the cylinder and/or extractor star. If there was truly an unsupported area you would have a bulge like the Glock smile pic that I posted. The other true indication would be to rotate the scored case 180 degrees. If it chambers its not bulged.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-10-2021 at 02:44 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer