RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on here?

What's going on here?

I'm having issues with gas checks on these.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210204_141831.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	277137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210204_141856.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	277138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210204_141943.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	277139

As you can see if I seat them nose first they dish out and create a rim.
    If I run them through base first they are a little convex and as seen in the 3rd picture flatten the nose.

It's a Mihec mold and is producing nice castings.
    They're Sages gas checks and easily started with thumb pressure before running through sizer. I've tried both the copper and aluminum.

Used a Lee sizer initially and because of the "rim" on the check maybe the stem was undersized so I then tried the NOE. Same with either.

Not sure where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

*Edit : Looking at the pictures enlarged on the screen, the nose first ones aren't seated all the way to the base on the bullet.

I have further tried to tap them on with a hammer. Press them on with channel locks. And use an arbor press all in an attempt to preseat them, all to no avail.

I've also tried chamfering the base with the NOE tool. No joy.
    Last edited by Ohiopatriot; 02-07-2021 at 09:25 PM.

That's a lot of nose and even base damage.

If they're unusually hard to push through:
    I'd guess the sizer is trying to shrink them down too much, as in the boolits are too fat or too hard for that size of a die.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Are you pushing them through dry? Polish the entry taper a bit more. Perhaps a little lube on the check area will reduce the friction? Still think the push rod is undersized to the sizer die.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Well yes they do not look normal but I bet they will shoot fine if they are sized and look like that! Not sure what is ging on the one on the left looks like the pusher stem is too small for the die... The one on the right is domed but both are seated well. I would shoot them and keep good notes
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's a lot of nose and even base damage.

If they're unusually hard to push through:
    I'd guess the sizer is trying to shrink them down too much, as in the boolits are too fat or too hard for that size of a die.
    Doesn't really seem like excessive pressure needed to push through.

I've run them through the NOE .226 then the .225 with the same results. They drop from the mold at .226

They're water dropped and 18bhn with my alloy.

Boolit drops at .226
    Shank measures .212
    GC inner diameter .215
    GC outer diameter .235
    GC .010 thick

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Are you pushing them through dry? Polish the entry taper a bit more. Perhaps a little lube on the check area will reduce the friction? Still think the push rod is undersized to the sizer die.
    I've tried dry, lubed and PC.

That was my first thought on the push rod and why I got the NOE setup. Both the Lee and NOE push rods do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Well yes they do not look normal but I bet they will shoot fine if they are sized and look like that! Not sure what is ging on the one on the left looks like the pusher stem is too small for the die... The one on the right is domed but both are seated well. I would shoot them and keep good notes
    Accuracy has not been good...... but....... I'm just at the start of load development for this rifle. Just trying to eliminate obvious issues early on.

If anyone has a good starting point (powder etc) for the Mihec .225 62 grain in an AR platform, I'm open to suggestions. I know it's a glorified 22 mag, but my 12 year old daughter likes it. I bought her a dedicated cast boolit upper in these panic priced ammo times to keep her shooting.

Banned

Show a pic of the base of the bullet before you put a check on. Looks like you have a nub on the base from the sprure. That makes it impossible to seat the checks. You will need to cast faster to not let the cutoff harden all the way.

Have you tried flaring the gas check before seating? Looks like the lip of the check is hanging up on the die as you insert the bullet nose first into the die. Looks like base first is the way to go.

Boolit Master
    You might try annealing your copper checks. I do mine on the glass top stove. They change color and you push them off the burner with a spatula. TB's thought on the sprue nub seems good too.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Show a pic of the base of the bullet before you put a check on. Looks like you have a nub on the base from the sprure. That makes it impossible to seat the checks. You will need to cast faster to not let the cutoff harden all the way.
    I think they're alright......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16127897111660.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by billyb View Post
    Have you tried flaring the gas check before seating? Looks like the lip of the check is hanging up on the die as you insert the bullet nose first into the die. Looks like base first is the way to go.
    I have, with similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    You might try annealing your copper checks. I do mine on the glass top stove. They change color and you push them off the burner with a spatula. TB's thought on the sprue nub seems good too.
    I will try that today.

Banned

usually the dished gas checks come from using to small of a punch. At least using a star or a lee sizer set up. Go to a lee sizing die. there push through so your nose doesnt bump up against anything. Its the only way to size if your using pc.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-09-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

That doesn't look like a normal GC shank design.

What is the diameter of the GC shank as cast?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Had this happen when bullet shank where gas check is to fit is too large , also when a gas checks inside diameter is just a few thousands to small. In my case those showing the cupped in effect worked just fine. This was on a 7mm bullet shot in a Ruger 7x57

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like the gas checks were not seated all the way before sizing. The shank does look kinda odd.
    Try tapping the bullet into the gas check rather than just finger seating them. Use a rubber mallet or even a piece of wood as a test.
    Last edited by Bird; 02-08-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Banned
    try putting your bullet seating/crimp die and lee pushrod (from the push through sizing kit) for that caliber on your press

raise the die and back off the seating stem

set a boolit with a gc on the lee pushrod and raise the ram

lower the seating stem to where it touches the boolit then adjust it down until the GC is seated to the depth you want.

after fully seated the bullets will need to be sized and GC crimped on

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Had this happen when bullet shank where gas check is to fit is too large , also when a gas checks inside diameter is just a few thousands to small. In my case those showing the cupped in effect worked just fine. This was on a 7mm bullet shot in a Ruger 7x57
    Like brstevns, I've had this also. A undersized GC shank will allow the GC to get smooshed back and dished, like the one's in your photo. One thing to try, is to size the boolit without a GC, then install the GC, then size it again.
    Why do this?
    Sometimes, sizing a boolit with a undersized GC shank, the shank will expand a bit, most of this depends on how much force is needed to push the boolit through the die the first time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    usually the dished gas checks come from using to small of a punch. At least using a star or a lee sizer set up. Go to a lee sizing die. there push through so your nose doesnt bump up against anything. Its the only way to size if your using pc.
    Used Lee then NOE. Both push through sizers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast