Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-14 scope problems

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Take the scope off and try the iron sights. If it hits point of aim, look and see if the rear sight is adjusted far over to one side. I'd start there.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Seems like good advice. If the rear sight must be adjusted way over to one side it would indicate that the barrel and receiver are not in axial alignment. In other words, a machining error. New rings or mounts would not help this, unless they can be adjusted separately for windage.

There are scope rings that use different size plastic inserts of various offsets that would allow you to adjust out the alignment. I believe that they are Burris Signature rings.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    M14 scope mount:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26057.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	278049

that hurts to look at

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    How do you know the scope is good?
    I installed different scope and it did the same thing ran out of clicks trying to move bullet impact to right. Looking at rifle in vice with scope sitting in lower rings, you can see its off quite a bit. Got new set coming from ruger, just slow coming now cause USPS ain’t moving nothing with this weather.

Here's another option for you, Hossfly. How's about an Ultimak scope mount which is forward on the barrel "scout scope" style? I have a 181-series Mini 14 that would never shoot well at all. I tried several scope and mount combinations, and finally came to the conclusion that I'd be better off with a mount on the barrel than on the receiver, because it's going to shoot where the barrel is pointed--and that might be different after every shot. So I bought and mounted one, and the Mini now shoots hand-sized groups at 50 yards. Nothing to be proud of, but much better than it was as at least it is useable. Negatives are that it changes the balance of the rifle and adds bulk. I need to follow up on some of these other suggestions like gas blocks and bushings, and who knows, it might become a R. Buchanan-type rifle! You could take a look at the Ultimak website. Last time I did, maybe 2 months ago, they were sold out of a lot of models. Read the website carefully, as they make different models for the different vintage Minis, and you'll want to order the right one for your specific rifle.

DG

Name:	im004415.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	278106

Boolit Master
    Got the 3rd high mount set from Ruger. The 2nd set couldn’t get the top ring loose cause the screw was locked in it was about to break.

Installed 3rd set, same look with scope pointing right out of alignment with barrel.

Added .030” shim to left front clamp area, and same .030” to back right clamp area. Finally have bullets hitting target to where I’m now having to move windage screw from full stop right to about 25 clicks left.

Appears that when they machined this cast base they got it out of kilter. It’s good to go now. Will be returning it to friend later today.

Then it will be Henry time with the new 45-70. Got new to me 300 gr mold coming hopefully this week.

Thanks for all the input, Hossfly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    that hurts to look at
    yes it does.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    M14 scope mount:

Name:	26057.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	278049

solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Bub
    I had an older Ruger Mini 30 with a similar problem: the scope mount base grooves on top of the barrel were not aligned with the centerline of the barrel. It was off 3 to 5 degrees.

After fighting it a few years, I gave up and shipped it back to Ruger asking how much it would cost to fix it.

Ruger telephoned me, said it couldn't be fixed, and asked which version of the new Mini-30 I would like shipped to me, free of charge.
    Last edited by Mrlucky353; 05-10-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Wow, can't argue with that!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrlucky353 View Post
    I had an older Ruger Mini 30 with a similar problem: the scope mount bases welded or otherwise attached to the barrel were not aligned with the centerline of the barrel. It was off 3 to 5 degrees.

After fighting it a few years, I gave up and shipped it back to Ruger asking how much it would cost to fix it.

Ruger telephoned me, said it couldn't be fixed, and asked which version of the new Mini-30 I would like shipped to me, free of charge.
    Ruger has THE BEST warranty/warranty department I've seen/heard of for firearms!!!!!

Boolit Master
    He called Ruger and they sent him a new mini-14. Just picked it up with scope and will be sighting it in tomorrow, if I can get there before the skitters start up. And horses and deer flies.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Got the new mini-14 zeroed in yesterday. All’s well, functioned perfectly. Zero in 6 shots @ 25 yards then tested @ 100 and tweaked to 1” high. Good shooter for my friend. Used high mounts from Ruger.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Happy ending to a sad story.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought an old waffle top Marlin that someone drilled for a scope 60 years ago, and they drilled them out of line. I wasn’t happy with the 4x Tasco it had on in and moved to a 2x7 Leupold… to get it on paper I used Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. EZ.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12