Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 scope problems

Boolit Master

Mini-14 scope problems

Friend has a mini-14 he has never fired, said he bought it used. Has a Simmons scope 3-9 mounted with Ruger factory (high)mounts because of 50mm front lens. .223

Ask if I would test and zero for him, of course, I would do that, well on first shot at 25 yds. Completely missed target 3’X2’, so moved closer maybe 25’, ok now hitting target (low left) Was able to get elevation up to same line as bullseye, but ran out of clicks trying to get impacts to go right.

Remounted scope mounts, swapped front to back, still same problem. Shots good on elevation but 4” left, and out of clicks to get more movement. So changed scopes, still same problem, frustrating to say the least.

Any ideas what to try next, the rifle prints hit all together with in an 1”@ 25 yds just cant move over to right on either scope.

Help needed

I'd try a different type of mount.

Weaver makes some for it with the traditional base & rings with a rear adjustment like bolt actions usually have.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Take the scope off and try the iron sights. If it hits point of aim, look and see if the rear sight is adjusted far over to one side. I'd start there.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I’m going to pull back down and clean the locator slot and lightly oil grips and screws and remount today. Could be something interfering with fitment. This is all Ruger bases so don’t think anything wrong there, very good looking set up.

Boolit Master
    Rotate mounts 180?

Boolit Master
    Took everything back apart. Inspected, cleaned locator slots, and keys attached to Ruger mounts. That’s why you can’t rotate 180’, you can only swap front to back and back to front. And I’ve tried that, no difference. These Ruger mounts have keys in bottom of mounts that they only go on in one direction.

Shot 3 times at 25’, same problem, 4” to left of bull. Windage locked up at end of adjustment. Sand bagging rifle to hold still and moving windage all way each way to full stop and it has about 6 rounds of rotation in between lock up.

Removed scope and tried with peep sight, shot perfect in line 1k’ low but that is adjustable. So rifle is accurate.

Installed 2 different scopes, same problem, did notice when sitting in vice the scopes appears to not be sitting in line with Bbl. Just looking from above.

Boolit Master
    Only thing I can think of with these mounts is grind this key off, and shim to get scope to point more left.

Boolit Grand Master

Try a different set of rings. There may have been a chip or misalignment when they were bored. My Number 1 in 300 win mag had this issue when I bought it new swapped rings and all was good.

Boolit Master
    Going this morning to get different set to try. Same mini 14 type rifle and shoots great, will test that set against what I’ve got now and see if they line scope up right. These mounts seem to be the problem.

Howdy, Hossfly-- What kind of mount set-up do you have? The older original Mini-14s were not drilled and tapped. The Ranch Rifle had mounts cast into the receiver--just add rings. If yours was drilled and tapped I'd suggest that you take a look at Millett Angle Loc rings. They are adjustable for windage, and have solved some problems for me in the past. They are Weaver-type.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Howdy, Hossfly-- What kind of mount set-up do you have? The older original Mini-14s were not drilled and tapped. The Ranch Rifle had mounts cast into the receiver--just add rings. If yours was drilled and tapped I'd suggest that you take a look at Millett Angle Loc rings. They are adjustable for windage, and have solved some problems for me in the past. They are Weaver-type.

DG
    Der Gebirgsjager, yes these are original Ruger base cast into receiver, just got another same set up will try and see if this other mini that’s supposed to be zeroed will transfer mounts and scope over and see what it does. Raining right now so will have to test later.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If your friend is serious about shooting an autoloader with a scope, then a flat top AR might be a better choice. Like the Winchester 94, it is a design that was never really intended to be scoped and does best with sights.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have a Mini-14 bought used 15-20 years ago. Had a similar problem with Ruger Rings that were on rifle, got a different pair of rings that solved problem. Also put adjustable gas block on it making much more pleasurable, factory block threw most ammunition 30 ft, now 7-10 feet(my choice), much better. Cheap steel ammo gives 4" groups(100 yards), careful loading with quality bullets will go 1 1/2 to 2 MOA with 2.5-7x35 Burris.

Boolit Man
    For problems like this a laser bore sight is an absolute godsend. With it you can see where the scope is pointed, if it won't zero you can look through the scope and turn an adjustment and see if the crosshairs actually move. You can push on the scope and see if it moves too. Nowadays you can get them for less than $10 off ebay which means they pay for themselves probably on the first gun you sight in using it. Now the only thing I use them for is paper at 25/50 feet but that's enough to get you on the target at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I have a Mini-14 bought used 15-20 years ago. Had a similar problem with Ruger Rings that were on rifle, got a different pair of rings that solved problem. Also put adjustable gas block on it making much more pleasurable, factory block threw most ammunition 30 ft, now 7-10 feet(my choice), much better. Cheap steel ammo gives 4" groups(100 yards), careful loading with quality bullets will go 1 1/2 to 2 MOA with 2.5-7x35 Burris.
    I'll bet that your Mini groups better with that new gas block too. The way that action hammers a scope-in both directions, forward and rearward- it is not conducive to accuracy. I have seen more than one Mini-14 formerly branded (with some pretty colorful language from the owners) as a terrible shooter, really turn in some decent groups after the gas block was installed. Not a bench rest gun by any stretch but better for sure.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Thing is, one shouldn't have to buy an $800 rifle and then have to spend another $200.00 on an adjustable gas block to get it to shoot as well as a $500.00 AR.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    My friend called Ruger and they’re sending him new set of high mount scope bases, only question they ask was where did you buy the original set from? He said from y’all. Ask about sending old ones back? Throw them away.
    When we get these new mounts, I’ll install and give y’all update, tooo cold right now to shiver and test.

Never evaluate a gun's accuracy with frozen fingers. Don't ask how I know!

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thing is, one shouldn't have to buy an $800 rifle and then have to spend another $200.00 on an adjustable gas block to get it to shoot as well as a $500.00 AR.
    You don't have to buy a $200 gas block. You can buy a small gas bushing from ASI for a few bucks and be good to go.

As far as an optic, get rid of the scope, mount a rail on the scope mounts, and attach a Bushnell TRS 25. I have since moved that sight forward as far as it would go. The group below was shot re-sighting the gun in after moving the sight.

Once you get it sorted out it should shoot like this as long as it is a 2005 or newer gun. Older guns are hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Once again,,, Not a target rifle, but accurate enough to hit a man sized target everytime at 300 yards off a rest.

Get the gun up and running and go shoot something with it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    How do you know the scope is good?
    East Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast