Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: musket caps

Boolit Master

musket caps

are the TOP HAT ones better than the ones that look like the ones that go on single shot guns & pistols, I beleave that they are made by RWS, WITH OUT ANY WINGS ON THEM?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    are the TOP HAT ones better than the ones that look like the ones that go on single shot guns & pistols, I beleave that they are made by RWS, WITH OUT ANY WINGS ON THEM?
    Caps with wings are easier to get a hold of. They also split better after fired.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

The wingless caps were made for the early in-lines. As inlines evolved there was no market for the wingless caps. The last supply finally ran out. RWS are great caps. John Bly in VA make a tool to convert winged caps to cingless for some sharps and Maynard shooters that want them.

Boolit Master

I have a bunch of wingless ones , just like using a larger percussion cap , also have winged ones , older Eley and the hot CCI , I prefer the winged ones in the field or inclement weather .

I'd like to find some of those for hunting, that I would feel better in the brush.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Do they make little cap seal rings for musket caps like they do for small ones? (I never looked)
    In snow or damp weather, I change my cap regularly. Sometimes frequently, very if it's raining. Certainly easier with musket caps, but the slits make me think you need to do it more often. The only time I had water issues was with musket capped gun, but that could just be coincidence.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Do they make little cap seal rings for musket caps like they do for small ones? (I never looked)
    In snow or damp weather, I change my cap regularly. Sometimes frequently, very if it's raining. Certainly easier with musket caps, but the slits make me think you need to do it more often. The only time I had water issues was with musket capped gun, but that could just be coincidence.
    Smear a litte beeswax/tallow or lard mixed together on the cap to keep out any moisture,
    After coating the cap, just wipe off any grease off the top of cap for a sure fire.

Boolit Master
    I bdleave so. the ones without wings seem to be cheaper. and after firing some times they stick on the nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    Smear a litte beeswax/tallow or lard mixed together on the cap to keep out any moisture,
    After coating the cap, just wipe off any grease off the top of cap for a sure fire.
    RTV silicone works too....

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I bdleave so. the ones without wings seem to be cheaper. and after firing some times they stick on the nipple.
    If they stick to the nipple after firing, they won't just fall off while you're walking.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......