RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: LLA in 29" barrel? 6.5x55 266469

Boolit Master

LLA in 29" barrel? 6.5x55 266469

I have no experience using LLA in rifles and very little with handgun cast bullets.

I've seen reference to using SPARCE amounts with handgun bullets but what of rifles and rifles with 29" barrels? Specifically the m/96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55.

I'm guessing under such circumstance a heavier application of LLA when the bullet has to travel 29" of barrel. I'm loading Ideal 266469 sized .268".

Thoughts?

Dutch

If gas checked and not pushed much over 1600 fps, I think you'll be fine. I'd coat em twice....

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Buddy
    You could consider pan lubing for this application as well. I had trouble with LLA in rifles and high velocity magnum revolvers. Bought a Lyman 4500, some Carnauba Red and haven't looked back. Not to sound discouraging, but success depends on managing your expectations.

Rifle for over 1400 fps I use 3 light coats. And I mean LIGHT. Only on the third coat can you start seeing a color change.

The the thing you have to remember, Alox dries, hardens to an enamel like consistency. Hot gases are just going to bake it harder.

So if you have a light consistent coat all around the boolit it will do fine.

In a few extreme cases I have been known to use a rifle lube like Ben's Red, work it into the grooves. Size (removes excess) Then 2 light coats of BLL to put a hard shell on it. If it needs it, its there. If it doesn't, it isn't going to hurt anything.

I have been known to take warm boolits (Harbor freight heat gun) a lump of lube, combine and tumble like you would tumble lube.
    The action seems to work most of the lube into the grooves. Then size, then 2 thin coats of BLL.

Unlike pan lubing it is not really messy. The mess is all contained in a plastic container. Snap a lid on and save for the next time.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

^^^^

What GhostHawk said.

Or seat GCs then hold bullet by the nose with one hand and using a Q-tip in other hand swab LLA around the bullet in the lube grooves. Stand on GC on wax paper and let thoroughly dry before sizing and loading. As mentioned let it dry thoroughly. This worked for me with both the 266455 and the 266469 in both the M96 and the M38s Swedes.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I want to thank you all for your thoughts on this question. I won't be shooting until warmer weather but I've been loading since October up into tonight doing some 8x57 for the 1888 Commission rifle.

Doing a couple hundred bullets I didn't want to pan lube and I didn't have a size & lube die for the 4500 so that left me with LLA as the only viable option. I'll report on how it works out when I do the shooting.

much thanks
    Dutch

LLA in 29" barrel? 6.5x55 266469

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I want to thank you all for your thoughts on this question. I won't be shooting until warmer weather but I've been loading since October up into tonight doing some 8x57 for the 1888 Commission rifle.

Doing a couple hundred bullets I didn't want to pan lube and I didn't have a size & lube die for the 4500 so that left me with LLA as the only viable option. I'll report on how it works out when I do the shooting.

much thanks
    Dutch
    Curious what you are sizing to fit the Swedes. OAL for that boolit?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Curious what you are sizing to fit the Swedes. OAL for that boolit?
    I hunted down an older Ideal mold for 266469 as they drop larger than the Lyman version. So this mold drops about .270" and I size to .268" using a push-through NOE die. I'm going to try them in my Type 38 Arisaka as well as several Swedish Mausers.

So far my best 5 shots-into-one-hole cast bullet is Lyman 266673 sized .266" and 13.8 grs 2400.

OAL - overall length is specific to each rifle. I seat to touch the rifling determined using a shop-made tool patterned after the Stoney Point tool.
    266673 never did touch the rifling yet shot into one hole at 50 yds.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-06-2021 at 02:23 PM.