MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Sears is gone

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Yep. Need an anvil? A lathe? A fence? You could get it all from Sears. But, as they say, that was then, and this is now. What have you done for me lately? Not very much. Buhbye!
    Among a lot of other things, I once had an outboard motor from Sears, that served me well.

Banned
    1959, J C Higgins reloading press, new in it's original box. Maybe gone, but not forgotten.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J C Higgens Press 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	277489

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Sears stores began to die in the early 70s when they took salesmen off commission. The last time I went in a Sears was in 81 or 82. I was setting up a hardware lab and had a list of handtools we needed. The list was a couple of pages and I had $1,500 in cash to finance the list. On a crutch from surgery, I filled up my available hand with about three items. I approached the desk and explained that I needed a couple of carts of tools, where are the carts? The fat behind the desk threw an empty cardboard box on the floor besides me. I threw my items in the box and left. On the way home I flagged down a MAC truck I showed the driver my list and told him I only had $1,500. We pulled into a church lot and he pulled the items and gave me a generous discount for cash. He loaded my goodies in my car for me.

I have not darkened the doors of a sears since that day.
    Pretty much what it got like here. I was replacing my mower so went to the local Sears.Stood looking at the riding mowers for 20 minutes as 2 sales guys stood around texting someone. Finally asked one to come help and he was ultra rude. Store manager caught that and chewed his butt in front of me ten apologized that I had to see that. Gave me a nice discount on the mower I wanted for my troubles. I haven't been back to one since, next mower I buy from the farm store...
    Last edited by Pressman; 02-14-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Language infraction

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Yep. Need an anvil? A lathe? A fence? You could get it all from Sears. But, as they say, that was then, and this is now. What have you done for me lately? Not very much. Buhbye!
    Gramps bought a David Bradley hammer mill and a manure spreader from 'em. Some assembly required. He bought some trapos and A Springfield 15Y .22 for Pops to run a trapline with too ! Sears was one-stop shopping for many years.

Boolit Master
    I had a sears service center a block from work when I worked in the KC area. I stopped in to buy a mower and they keep saying my card wouldn't go through but I knew better and calling the card company and them telling sears the problem was on their end didn't work.

I said screw you and went to Family Center and bout a new Cub Cadet. Still use it every year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Gramps bought a David Bradley hammer mill and a manure spreader from 'em. Some assembly required. He bought some trapos and A Springfield 15Y .22 for Pops to run a trapline with too ! Sears was one-stop shopping for many years.
    By the time I was old enough to be interested in such things, they'd stopped carrying them, REDACTED! As usual, born a day late and a dollar short!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I had a sears service center a block from work when I worked in the KC area. I stopped in to buy a mower and they keep saying my card wouldn't go through but I knew better and calling the card company and them telling sears the problem was on their end didn't work.

I said screw you and went to Family Center and bout a new Cub Cadet. Still use it every year.
    I was overseas in the early 90's, and sent my wife and kids home on leave to visit her parents. She went to Sears in Fort Smith, and bought a bunch of clothes and toys for the kids. Paid by check, drawn on the contract bank for our APO address in Germany. After she left the store, the manager called the bank, and gave them the account number, but didn't mention that it was for a military APO address. They looked up the account number and said it was a commercial account. Manager ran out into the mall, tracked her down, and grabbed the packages from her. Back into the store, talk to the bank again, turns out they use the same account numbers for commercial accounts in the USA, and the APO addresses. Manager doesn't even apologize. By that time my wife is so PO'd that she demands the check back and tells them to keep their "stuff." Walks out and has not been back in a Sears since. I used to have to sneak into the Sears here to get warranty service on my Craftsman tools.

Boolit Grand Master
    "Now I just hope that Costco sticks around, cause I LOVE that hotdog and soda combo."
    When they stopped selling the polish hotdog, I was heartbroken.
    Costco maybe on the way out to.
    New guy that took over is somekind of tree hugger.
    Changing all kinds of things.
    I go there for only a very few things, and only once a month.
    Cat litter is a really good deal.
    Used to go almost every week.
    Other than that I go to Sam's club.
    If walmart closed, we'd only have target, and I hate target.

Boolit Master
    Many years back I had a Jeep CJ5 that was my daily transportation. The clutch had an unusual cable that ran from the pedal to the bell housing. One end was threaded which allowed adjustment of the cable length as needed. The only "small enough" tool I had that would get onto that nut in a very tight area came from a Craftsman ignition wrench set. One day that wrench broke. Took the wrench to the local Sears and asked for a replacement. They argued they did not offer single wrenches and tried to sell me another kit. I told them all the others were fine, need just that one size that broke. The salesman went back to the store manager, came back with a check for $1.35 an said they offer either tool replacement or buy back the broken tool. That didn't help me at all but did start my search for another, any other store that would stand behind their products. This became my low cost but well deserved boycott of Sears from then until now.

Boolit Buddy

Just came across a pair of long johns with a sears tag. Must be 30 or 40 years old.. They still work.

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid I used to love to go to the Sears Store by our house they had everything and I love the smell of the popcorn when I walked in the door I always ask my dad to get some great deals on tools guns and ammo back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    "Now I just hope that Costco sticks around, cause I LOVE that hotdog and soda combo."
    When they stopped selling the polish hotdog, I was heartbroken.
    Costco maybe on the way out to.
    New guy that took over is somekind of tree hugger.
    Changing all kinds of things.
    I go there for only a very few things, and only once a month.
    Cat litter is a really good deal.
    Used to go almost every week.
    Other than that I go to Sam's club.
    If walmart closed, we'd only have target, and I hate target.
    Man, Walmart's certainly going to stick around. Target however, I've got a feeling their days are numbered. The last Target that I've been inside had that "Touch of Death" grunge and lack of care that I'd noticed with Sears when i was young.

Not to mention, That Polish Dog from Costco was my favorite! Really wish that came back too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456