Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Help with paper patch template

Boolit Mold

Help with paper patch template

Guys I am new to paper patching and am wanting to shoot some .358 boolits from my tc Seneca 36 caliber. I have a bunch of hbwc and swc boolits and found a bunch of 9 pound onion paper. I was wondering if there is a template I can use to put on my paper and cut them out. I saw an old thread about a pdf you could print but the pics were gone. Does anyone have this on a pdf I could print from or know where I can buy a template for .358 billets.

Thanks in advance

Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Grand Master

You can make one pretty easily with household items. Its not hard to do. determine the width you need. from ogive down to around 3/16 below base. Cut this first strip way long and put 3 wraps around bullet tight. Cut a nick in top edge ( around 1/8" in) thru the wraps. unwrap and the distance between 2 nicks is patch length. cut one end at an angle 30*-45* works I try to pick one that puts this edge 180* around bullet subtract 1/32 from the length and cut the matching angle Test wrap your bullet if all is good your now ready to work with the template material. This can be almost any material. A piece of a pop bottle, pop or beer can aluminum flashing, thin plexiglass. Cut a piece big all around and rubber cement the patch to it. cut close and file or sand to exact size. On thicker materials you maay want to file a 45* bevel around edge.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. I suppose their 38 caliber is for .358 boolits. I may try this first and then play around if I need to make something different

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Thanks. I suppose their 38 caliber is for .358 boolits. I may try this first and then play around if I need to make something different
    I'd guess it's for .375-.379 finished diameter. 38-55 etc. Odd they don't specify.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The 38 caliber template is for the 38 caliber rifles, so the patches will be a good bit long, but you could cut a patch using one, then check to see how much to long , cut the patch length down and then trim the template.
    You can also go back to the basic math and use the Pie are square thing figure the circumference of the bullet, double that cut a patch that length with the parallelogram angles on each end try the patch of the bullet and adjust the length to suit you. Then use that patch as a template to cut your final template out of a good stiff piece of plastic as from a butter container etc, or a thin piece of sheet brass or copper.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

I've use more than a few different methods for cutting patches, from laying out the dimensions drafting style, to making jigs and using a paper cutter. What's worked best for me is making a simple brass patch template. Once you've established proper rhomboid patch dimensions by doing the triple wrap and cut, and have tested it out, transfer those patch dimensions to a 1/32" sheet of brass and cut the outline proud. Cut test patches and file the brass as need be. I staple a stack of 4 to 6 sheets of Seth Cole 7# paper and cut out 4 to 6 patches at a time with a new and super sharp Xacto blade or single edge razor blade.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    pop or beer can aluminum flashing, thin plexiglass.
    cut close and file or sand to exact size.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Cut test patches and file the brass as need be.
    When filing or sanding my templates, I've found it helpful to clamp them between two small flat pieces of wood, with just the edge sticking out that I'm going to file or sand, like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210210_210802.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	277363

It keeps the piece flat, and that edge straight, while I'm working on it.

Boolit Buddy
    ...and then use a piece of 80 grit sandpaper and sand a criss cross pattern on one side of the template and place the sanded side on the paper...this will prevent the pattern from sliding on the paper.
    Cheers Richard

Boolit Grand Master

I glue the first correct cut patch to the stock with rubber cement and cut to the edge of the paper minus 1/32" this accounts for the stretch and the radius of the first overlap. I prefer a thicker template and use 3/32 thick brass or aluminum, even plexi glass will work.