RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1882 SAA and 45 Colt Black Powder

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the comments. It just goes to show that while I have mainly been focused on the basics of producing functional bullets and loaded ammunition, there is still so much more to learn.

Boolit Bub

I'm watching this with interest. Round .454 over 30gr Pyrodex and lubed felt wad it shoots great.

I just bought a conversion cylinder for my 1858 Pietta New Army, and came up with some 45LC brass from another member. I just finished loading ten 45LC cases w/ 30gr Pyrodex, over powder card, lubed wad, and 454 round ball. I'm using LR primers BC that's all I have. After loaded and crimped, I dipped exposed part of ball in melted 50/50 mix of lamb tallow and beeswax (same as what used for felt wads).

Any thoughts from the group?

Boolit Buddy
    The easy way to slug a barrel is order slugs from Veral @ LBT Molds . They have a wire tip so you can push just in the barrel and then grap the wire and pull them out . I believe they come 10 in a pack and are not expensive . He has them for many calibers . I have used them for years with satisfaction . Just slide your cleaning rod ( with the T-type handle over the wire tip ) to tap them in the barrel . lightly oil first . Regards Paul

Boolit Bub

As a follow up to my post above, finally got to the range today to shoot them. They worked really well. I'd only loaded 15, but they all worked. Even though I used rifle primers, firing pin divot was nice and distinct. So I think I've found something to get me through the ammo shortage!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    45 Colt casting Lyman 454190. Here's the result.

I like that little 20 rd. ctg. box. Tell me about it, is it cardboard or plastic?

Very Nice Work !

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post

I like that little 20 rd. ctg. box. Tell me about it, is it cardboard or plastic?
    The tray is from Hornady 20 round handgun ammo boxes. It is plastic and is a handy size. I have a couple of them and use them for 44/45 Cal BP loaded ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the weight, profile and look of that Lyman 454190. Unfortunately it doesn't carry enough lube for more than a cylinder (five shots) or so.

I'm shooting Big-Lube bullets from Mark Whyte. They are 5g too light (250 vs 255) and the profile is wrong historically, but I can shoot 50 rounds through my tightly fitted USFA single actions without any cylinder binding.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Great read, great pics, and outstanding video! Well done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I love the weight, profile and look of that Lyman 454190.
    Unfortunately it doesn't carry enough lube for more than a cylinder (five shots) or so.

I'm shooting Big-Lube bullets from Mark Whyte. They are 5g too light (250 vs 255) and the profile is wrong historically, but I can shoot 50 rounds through my tightly fitted USFA single actions without any cylinder binding. Dave
    Too bad the Big Lube mold drops bullets so large in diameter, I would have bough a mold.

My SAECO #955 drops at .456” and after Lubri-sizing down to .452” the crimp groove is virtually smeared away. Sizing in a LEE nose first sizing die save the crimp groove but causes huge fins or flashings to hang from the base edge. I haven’t thought of a way to remove the fins that doesn’t damage the base edges. Simple cutting with a razor blade or box cutter damaged the base edges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    Too bad the Big Lube mold drops bullets so large in diameter, I would have bough a mold.
    The Big Lube 45 Colt bullets I'm buying from Mark Whyte are offered in .454" and .452". Since the chamber mouths on all my USFA single actions are right at .452" those are the bullets I order. Squeezed down to .452" doesn't seem to reduce the lube carrying groove and I have fired 50 rounds of black powder loads behind these bullets with no binding of the cylinder.

YMMV,
    Dave

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I love the weight, profile and look of that Lyman 454190. Unfortunately it doesn't carry enough lube for more than a cylinder (five shots) or so.

Dave
    I haven't actually had too much trouble with fouling. I'm using a home brew mix of beeswax, crisco and olive oil and last time out I put 20 rounds through it with no binding or other problems. I'm not sure if I could get away with 50 rounds, but I think 30 or so would be no problem, and that's with no additional lubrication.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12