Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Boolit Man

Hello....
    I'm new to Boolits and just wanted to introduce myself! I'm not new to casting and have been since early 70's. Started with a Lee REAL muzzleloader mold ,a small frying pan(cast iron) and a bent tablespoon with hammered on pipe handle! I have several different .357 and 44 mag Lyman molds...Lyman Pot ...Lyman luber-sizer and lots of wheel weights! What I have not had has been TIME...but now I'm retiring after 35 yrs as USPS city carrier...so maybe I'll have some time to enjoy what I love ....shooting and reloading.... that includes casting!

Jimmy K

Boolit Buddy

Welcome to the board! Some real fine folks here, so sit back,grab some hot coffee & enjoy!!
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard.

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to the board, Jimmy.

No time like the present to get started and remember, "The only silly question is the one YOU don't ask!"

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year from downunder,

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cast Hunter

Welcome Jim. You're going to have fun in here.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard, Jimmy. I gave been on this board long enough (maybe 6 months!) to feel authorized to offer a welcome. This is the best board on the net (IM NEVER-TO-BE HO), and you will become ADDICTED! And it is a GOOD addiction!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy

Welcome tot he board. These guys know their stuff.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

A big Welcome to the board. Now your job won't get in the way of your hobbies. I just told my boss i'm gonna quit. As soon as i find a job that pays 200,000/year and only have to work 10 hours/ week. I'm still looking.
    Whats your first project since retirement. Rifle or pistol. Go ahead and make a new post and tell us all about it. The best way here is to jump right in.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Welcome to the board Cpt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Welcome aboard JimKirk

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the welcome! Already re-learned a lot! Funny how quick it leaves you ..when you don't use!

First project ..is to melt down and clean about 200 to 250 lbs of wheel weights and pour into ingots.....our worsrt weather is ahead ...so weather permitting!
    Still have about 60 days left on my USPS sentence....then I get parole 02-28-09.

Jimmy K

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the sanatorium, the place that keeps us sane. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Jim,

Welcome to the board!

I find it amazing that you started with such sophisticated equipment. My first casting pot was a Borkum Riff tobacco can. It had a rolled seam, rather than soldered, so it wouldn't come apart when it was up to temp. It also fit well on the burners of the wife's gas stoves in whatever apartment complex we happened to live in at the time while serving in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club.

Congrats on your retirement.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Banned
    A big welcome JimKirk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Already re-learned a lot! Funny how quick it leaves you ..when you don't use!

First project ..is to melt down and clean about 200 to 250 lbs of wheel weights and pour into ingots.....our worsrt weather is ahead ...so weather permitting!
    Still have about 60 days left on my USPS sentence....then I get parole 02-28-09.

Jimmy K
    Keep in mind. WWs are worth just as much in their original form as they are melted down, at least they were. The reason being people know what they are. But i like to melt mine down for easy storage.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Welcome to the forum Jim. I'm glad to hear that you are able to lay it down. I understand not having enough time to do the things that you want to do. I'm in the same boat. I’ve heard several times about folks who retired and then soon went back to work. (They just didn’t know what to do with themselves) was the excuse that I hear a lot. I promise if I ever get the opportunity to retire I’ll have plenty to do.
    Casting is new to me. I’ve only been casting for about a year. I’ve got +35 years of reloading under my belt. But I still enjoy reloading as much as I did in the early days and now casting has added even more joy to my hobby.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Jim glad you're retired. Now make sure you get on the 12 hour list here. I just put in a 96, with 24 feet of wheel weights I need culled and melted into 2 lb bars. Looks like about 4 hours of work so expect your hand-off will be approved for 2.

Kidding aside you'll never guess what I'm using for a casting and loading work benches. Both are carrier cases that were surplussed out by the PO right before we converted to DPS. I tossed the shelves on the casting bench but the loading bench I save four shelves. I also found a bunch of dividers in the drawer. These all steel benches are perfect for reloading.

Be honest Jim, how many wheel weights did you pick up on the street?? I used to find a few each week.

Any how welcome and congrats on the retirement. I started in 79 as a mail handler, then a flat sorting clerk, carrier for almost 20 and then the dark period Iwasn't very successfull at. I didn't have the same equipment as my female counterpart and though my numbers were allot better she got promoted.

In Remebrance

Welcome Jim, I'll hold the Star Trek humor for later! Hang in there for the retirement. I just finished 21+ years NYSP employment at 9:30AM Friday. So far it's pretty good. although I did spend a lot of time plowing snow out from in front of the barn yesterday so that I could get out easily when I LEFT FOR WORK in the morning! Old habits die hard.

Glad to have you aboard! Merry Christmas!

Boolit Master

Welcome Jim, I just retired,1-10-08, you`ll love it. Lots of time to load and cast.----dale

Boolit Man

Thanks

Thanks guys for all the welcomes..... I know some of you are really freazzing your *** off ...it's cold here(s. GA) for S. GA .. no casting until it warms up!
    azzrednek..maybe your qualifications were not warm and fuzzy enough....I have been by passed up so many times, just like you ...that I gave up! I'll P.M. you later .. we may need to talk!
    I like to have my WW in those little Lyman ingots...so I can slip'm right in the old Lyman pot ...darn done forgot how much they weigh...now I have to get out those old 10 lbs P.O. beam scales that got trashed when the digital scales came along! I have a set of those old rural cases that got junked too ...that is were I have may casting stuff set up....if I could just find it beneath all the junk! I have time to hunt it before long! Got builld some shelves for the case too!
    Jimmy K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast