MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: SAECO #456.....Why so little info available?

Boolit Buddy

SAECO #456.....Why so little info available?

A search on this design doesn't come up with much compared to results I have gotten searching just about any other boolit design.

What gives with the Saeco #456?

Boolit Buddy
    What info do you need? The design is pretty much the standard round nose design of many mold makers.

Boolit Bub

Right side of the page is the latest Saeco Flyer Bullet 456 is on the last page.
    Reduce the issue, ignore the drama

Boolit Master

I have the 457 4-cav mold - I sent it away a number of years ago to Erik at hollowpointmold.com to have the bevel-base removed, so it's essentially a 456 now:

Last edited by AndyC; 02-04-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master
    SAECO molds are, and have been for many years, very high priced. Consequently, they have seen comparatively little use. I'll bet there are at least 10 Lyman 452-374 molds in service for every one SAECO 456. In fact, I'd not be surprised if there were not more H&G #34 in use than the similar SAECO 456. Regardless of the number in service, unlike Lyman who has been putting out reloading information for their line of molds for nearly a century, or RCBS who at least once put out a Cast Bullet manual, SAECO has never to my knowledge done anything of the sort. For this reason, mold specific data is pretty thin on the ground for any SAECO mold,

All this aside, use Lyman 452-374 data and you'll be fine. There isn't much difference between them. For a RN 45 ACP boolit, either will do nicely.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Everything Richard and Sherri sell is high priced, IMHO
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    SAECO molds are, and have been for many years, very high priced. Consequently, they have seen comparatively little use. I'll bet there are at least 10 Lyman 452-374 molds in service for every one SAECO 456.
    I'm betting that you're spot-on. It just occurred tp me that I can't remember how I acquired my mold - I certainly didn't buy it, being an enthusiast of the H&G 68 SWC design.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I have the 457 4-cav mold - I sent it away a number of years ago to Erik at hollowpointmold.com to have the bevel-base removed, so it's essentially a 456 now:

for the newbie in me, what is the reason for the beveled based? It seems to be counter to the whole tight seal to prevent leading. I can only guess that bit of bevel reduces the likelihood of the base being swaged as the bullet seats into the thicker case wall area.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    The only reason I can think of for a bevel base is ease of seating, but that is offset by lube leaking when sizing.

I removed the bevel on the only bevel based mold I have, an aluminum Lee for the .38-55. The flat(ish) base seems to shoot well from my Marlin; and with a proper flare, it isn't any harder to start than any other projectile.

Robert

Boolit Master

Apparently easier to seat the bullet into the case (I've never had an issue seating plain-base myself) - but it was irritating the heck out of me when I had an RCBS lubesizer, always getting excess lube on the beveled area and I could never get it to stay clean.
    My Iraq Pics

45 acp Beval Base .452"

"what is the reason for the beveled based?"

Less bullet base deformity as bullet leaves muzzle. 45 acp target loads. Lyman 200 gr BB for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    "what is the reason for the beveled based?"

Less bullet base deformity as bullet leaves muzzle. 45 acp target loads. Lyman 200 gr BB for me.
    That Lyman 452630 is an awesome boolit.

I had a two cavity and it took a while to make a pile of boolits. Then I lucked into a four cavity!!! Happy Days! The only thing better would be an 8 cavity from MP.

I also like the RCBS 201-KT, but it's only available in a two cavity.
    NRA Benefactor.