Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gas check makers

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    The maker instructed me to let the cutter rest on the sheet metal, then slap.

This way it's always centered because the upper part is already inside before you apply force.

But yes,it would be better if the ram could go higher / handle lower. A custom built, 1" shorter ram would help tremendously.
    If you rest against the sheet, yeah sure but I think it would hurt your hand more.

Instead of cutting the ram I made longer linkage for my Big Boss. I haven't really noticed big increase in leverage but I do like that now I can setup the die lower. This is my swaging press that's why I got the weird bracket made to eject bullets.
    In the 2nd photo you can see the ram extended all the way up and still not reaching the top. I got the idea from the thread on this forum about modifying Lee classic cast iron press. I was going to buy Lee but Big Boss was collecting dust for over a year. I got it in the package deal so I decided to try it - wow! What a rock solid press! Decided to use it for swaging, already got my all time favorite MEC press for all around single stage operations.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dimaprok; 03-10-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yes there are ways to modify presses. Might get creative - press is designed for standard shell holder height so the rams are too long for these cutters.

About "slamming" the handle, I tried everything for a week and finally simply declared 0.40 mm copper too thick for my presses. The cutter actually bounces off the sheet unless I rest it on the metal.

0.30 mm copper (.012") is much easier. Now waiting for a bullet, then all I need is a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    0.30 mm (0.012") is much easier to cut than 0.40 mm.

The next question is fit, how do these thinner material checks fit?
    My guess is less than ideal. I have some 30 cal bullets where even .014" I can wiggle slightly with fingers, its the bullets with more taper in GC shank. NOE and MP crimps rock solid though. What I found though is that sitting gas checks with lubrisizer like my latest buy RCBS 165 SIL produces a solid crimp - no more wiggle!

Boolit Master
    If material as thin as soda can aluminum gets the job done in terms of gas cutting I wonder why traditional checks are so thick? Why aren't the shanks on .44 boolits .414 instead of .400? You could then use common .009" flashing material. Much easier to punch out.
    I doubt very much that the 1 step .44 check maker I just got from Sharpshooter will be able to handle .016" flashing material. Not going to throw $54 at a 10' roll of .016".

Boolit Master
    Got the bullet.

it snaps on with Lubrisizer. Good to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Now those look good!

Did the thinner check get sized? As in is the thickness enough to fill out grooves and seal? If so you are looking good. well, the boolits and checks look good anyway.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    If material as thin as soda can aluminum gets the job done in terms of gas cutting I wonder why traditional checks are so thick? Why aren't the shanks on .44 boolits .414 instead of .400? You could then use common .009" flashing material. Much easier to punch out.
    I doubt very much that the 1 step .44 check maker I just got from Sharpshooter will be able to handle .016" flashing material. Not going to throw $54 at a 10' roll of .016".
    Honestly soda can gas checks are too flimsy, I've seen them get distorted too easy, I am pretty sure they work, but I would be happy to settle for .012 - .014 because its commonly available and cheap aluminum. If companies took notice and produced a run of molds with increased shank that would be great. A little increase to .404" would allow to use .014" Amerimax rolls. I have Lyman 44 mold that I end up by mistake, I was going to open up but first I need the gun.

Banned

Soda can works for plain base. Not a check speck bullet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Honestly soda can gas checks are too flimsy, I've seen them get distorted too easy, I am pretty sure they work, but I would be happy to settle for .012 - .014 because its commonly available and cheap aluminum. If companies took notice and produced a run of molds with increased shank that would be great. A little increase to .404" would allow to use .014" Amerimax rolls. I have Lyman 44 mold that I end up by mistake, I was going to open up but first I need the gun.

Solve that real easy. Get a hold of accurate molds and have him spec you the mold how you want. I did that with a 30 cal mold to have the base taper into the rear band so the hornady checks actually snap on. Their base was wider that the top of the gas check shank. Opposite of how Lee tapers their shank. Lee tapers their shank wider at the top and narrow at the base.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Now those look good!

Did the thinner check get sized? As in is the thickness enough to fill out grooves and seal?

Longbow
    Yes, for this particular MP Sledgehammer, 0.30 mm is perfect for PC:d bullets. Plain cast may prefer 0.40 mm, that would be aluminum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Solve that real easy. Get a hold of accurate molds and have him spec you the mold how you want. I did that with a 30 cal mold to have the base taper into the rear band so the hornady checks actually snap on. Their base was wider that the top of the gas check shank. Opposite of how Lee tapers their shank. Lee tapers their shank wider at the top and narrow at the base.
    Your check maker would have to be designed for a specific shank diameter and intended material thickness. Dima could do it along with a custom spec with Tom at Accurate molds.

Boolit Master
    0.30 mm copper snaps and stays on when the bullet gets sized to .312.

But 0.40 mm aluminum does not stay, the check stays on the lubrisizer after sizing. Bullet comes out with no check.

I wanted copper and 0.30 is workable, so I'm happy.

You can see a hidden alu check in the pic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234