RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox

View Poll Results: Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...a bit of noise is no big deal

71 68.93%
  • No...I try to stay quite

32 31.07%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

Boolit Grand Master

Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

I saw on another thread where someone suggested having a mousefart load to bag a grouse while deer hunting. I have read about that numerous times as well.

I never understood the logic of it. I try to be quite when hunting deer. Cannot imagine shooting a bird for the pot while deer hunting.

What do you guys do? Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I’ve shot lots of them while deer hunting........with a bow. I’ll pass while gun hunting, too much noise. Even light loads will alert any deer in the area. Just depends on how serious you are about deer hunting....I’m pretty serious about it. I also get a lot of deer.

If they taste as good as quail or pheasant- then yes. Deer around here aren't that alarmed by gunfire. Twigs snapping or mechanical noises, yes. Occasionally I have to cease fire on my home range due to deer visitors. And I have taken rabbit, turkey, deer and hog from the same spot in a Cottonwood Grove over a 3 hour period before. That was a good spot to be on a good day, apparently.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No but if we had grouse probably would go grouse hunting. Deer hunting will not shoot any thing except deer, coyotes, bob cat. Killed a large cold water Moccasin once with my hunting knife just so I wouldn’t shoot and scare deer off.

I dont think we can here in Michigan, small game is closed during firearms season. If this is purely hypothetical, then yes, on the walk out after hunting I would shoot something for the pot.

Boolit Master
    I generally don't shoot other critters when I'm deer hunting , but if I was serous about putting something in the kettle I would .

Boolit Buddy
    Deer or Elk season I will shoot a Grouse

Boolit Buddy
    If I'm at a spot on my uncles land that is known for grouse, I use a savage 24 30wcf/20ga. I'd take a grouse in a heartbeat. I have taken plenty of deer, never a grouse. But I have eaten grouse, and let me tell you..... delicious! Absolutely wonderful eating.

This is grouse up in Northern Michigan like the OP probably hunts.

I also use a savage 1899 in 303 savage for deer. If I had a grouse in sight and standing still I'd try to quietly swap out my deer load for my loads with a 77gr cast bullet over 4.3grs of unique. Dead accuracy upto 75 yards.

Never pass on a grouse if season open
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

If I am stalking up on a deer I won't shoot anything else, but hiking in or glassing or just wandering you bet id shoot one! Grouse are tasty, and deer really aren't disturbed by the sound of gunfire unless it's really close(and I even wonder about that sometimes), so get a bird along the way.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Buddy
    Yes! Often where we hunt in National Forest or DNR land there are miles and miles of gravel roads in and out of the area. It may take 45 minutes to an hour to get where you plan to hunt. All that gravel road is huntable for grouse. The forest grouse will collect gravel at the edge of the road. You can’t legally shoot in the road. But you can shoot them just off of the road. Or, they can be seen up in trees.

You can only use a high powered centerfire cartridge .24” or larger when you are in possession of a deer or elk tag. But shotgun and .22 are legal the rest of the grouse season.

I loaded up some .308 win with lee 100 grainers over bullseye for my buddy to grouse hunt with. I have similar loads for my 30-06.

Grouse tastes good!

JM

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    Deer or Elk season I will shoot a Grouse
    Me too
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Won't just shoot it, I will cook it and eat it WHILE deer hunting!

Boolit Master
    I have also shot rabbits while deer hunting.

I’ve taken more while elk hunting.....but, yes on deer hunting as well. There have been quite a few meals prepared with grouse that were headshot with my .375 AI! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Moderator Emeritus

Done so plenty of times. Cooked some for lunch as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

interesting question
    I run into a lot of grouse out where I deer hunt. Never had the urge to shoot one when I was after bigger game.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

I grew up in cattle country. Coyotes are shot period. If you pass on killing them you will lose you access to the ranchers land. I have killed about a 250 deer and i have yet to take a bobcat. Bobcat is my number one on my trophy list currently.

As to grouse it depends. If on the trail of a trophy buck no but short of that yes. As stated the sound of light loads effects deer surprisingly little.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Very interesting. I cannot legally do it here, and would not do it anyway.

Like others have commented, we will shoot a coyote.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I grew up in cattle country. Coyotes are shot period. If you pass on killing them you will lose you access to the ranchers land.
    I got read the riot act for letting a coyote walk! The outfitter running the hunts on the land told me in no uncertain terms, this is a cattle ranch, the ranch owner expects you to kill every coyote you see, it's part of hunting here, do NOT let a coyote walk again! I got religion after that. Another time I was out there and got two one morning. When we came in for lunch the rancher joined us for lunch and thanked me for shooting them.

I would probably not shoot a bird while trying for a deer, but would not hesitate to shoot a hog or a coyote. Gunshots do not generally alrm the deer as much moving or stepping on twigs or brushing against a bush.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast