Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Primers using Prime-All Mixture (Testing Results)

Boolit Master

Like Duckdog says, the measure is by weight for the mix. H42 is a mix that the US military came up with in the 1890's to get rid of the using glass, FWIW.

Something to keep in mind is that potassium perchlorate will be a bit more corrosive than potassium chlorate. The perchlorate will will form hydrochloric acid when fired. But it is safer in a factory environment. If someone tries it, please report back as to how it goes.

But my thinking is when it's easy to get exactly what a mix used(H48 and H42) that was carefully formulated and test to meet sensitivity, reliability, burn time, etc I like to stick with that. But I've got so many other thing in mind I can test, maybe I just kind figure good enough.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that is staying inside.

Boolit Buddy
    I did not know that about the potassium percholate. I have enough H48/H42 mix to last me a lifetime once mixed, so no changes for me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Having made a fair bit of Armstrong's compound as a kid (I stopped before age 18), I would really strongly suggest either wet mixing your compound, or, remotely mixing it; Stirring Armstrong's (KClO3, some sulphur, and some red phosphorous) even VERY gently, will pretty much be guaranteed to result in really loud booms. Wastes your compound, money, hearing, and maybe worse.

Remote mix in a very gentle way, in a non fragmenting container (cardboard, for example) - or wet each ingredient, water or everclear, then mix them together, then keep them wet as you remote mix them, if "paranoid"; I still have all my fingers, and eyes, and I imagine you like keeping yours. Call me paranoid if you wish, I'll just shake my head at you

I'd treat any primer mixture in the exact same way, you can call it a professional courtesy, if you wish. Respect if not fear the stuff, as it is quite capable of doing damage!

Boolit Bub
    Very good read I know US Army TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook mentions using the white tips off strike anywhere matches (potassium chlorate) for reloading primers. I've reloaded percussion caps with the rolled paper caps for toys.

Boolit Master

Full Velocity Load .223 using Prime-All Reloaded Primers.

Well I got out to the Range Tuesday. Temp was +12°; light wind (~7 to 10MPH), and overcast. The picture below (it's rotated 90° to the left for some reason) was from 100 Yards. Shot using the same Savage Axis .223 rifle I mentioned in previous posts. Load Specs:

Primer: Reloaded using Prime-All mix as indicated in post #25 in this thread.
    Brass: Hornady .223
    Powder: W-748 26 Grains
    Bullet: 60 Grain open tip, flat base - (Self swaged from 22Lr Brass Corbin Dies).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1628.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	277938

This group is quite a bit larger than I am used to from this Bullet/Load; but then again it was a miserable +12° with a slight wind; and I did not put wool socks on - rather had some light cotton socks on while wearing Muck Boots. About 2 feet of Snow on the ground.

The BAD:
    Out of 15 Rounds loaded for the test, only 10 ignited the first firing. I attempted to fire the five that failed a second time; and one of the Five fired on 2nd attempt.

The GOOD: I did not take the chrony because of the two feet of snow. But; the report and felt recoil seemed to indicate that all eleven shots that fired felt and sounded consistent. This load normally gets me + or - 2750 Feet Per Second. work planned with a Chronograph once we have warmer weather and the snow level allows a crony set up.

Future Analysis: I have not de-primed and broken down the "Working" primers and the "Failed" primers yet. Will do so in near future and I will attempt to discern if there is a visible/apparent reason for the failure to fires.

Clean Up: I did NOT get the reddish coloration that I mentioned from cleaning the "Primers Only" test firing. Used Hoppe's #9 once again to clean and 6 patches total; two patches of Hoppe's started cleaning the chamber & Barrel, followed by a clean patch, another Hoppe's Patch, and then two clean patches(no Hoppe's) came out slightly dirty - then clean with the last patch. Appears the reddish color is greatly diminished with the heat of the powder burning. The necks inside of the cases were powder burn blackened - with no apparent traces of the reddish color. The inside of the necks MAY BE slightly more powder fouled than normal; we will watch for that in later tests.

Comment: If primers were exhausted, and I had to resort to reloading primers at the current state I have achieved, I would do so but remain dis-satisfied. For a hunting situation; it would be more challenging and shots would have to be taken with the self understanding that each shot may or may not ignite. For a "Defensive Situation"; there would be a pucker factor and "Defensive Tactics" would have to be modified to account for the potential of a fail to ignite.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 02-18-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

mark has a new mix/video coming out soon for a non corrosive primer mix, it takes some chemistry back ground because you can not get one of the ingredients, you have to make it. supposed to be the same as modern primer mix.

on a side note, has anybody found a source for red phosphorus. guess its used to make meth so nobody sells it any more.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    mark has a new mix/video coming out soon for a non corrosive primer mix, it takes some chemistry back ground because you can not get one of the ingredients, you have to make it. supposed to be the same as modern primer mix.

on a side note, has anybody found a source for red phosphorus. guess its used to make meth so nobody sells it any more.
    Who is Mark and where will I find his video?

Bravo Mustang .... Super Thread, much Thanks for your time and writing skills
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    Who is Mark and where will I find his video?
    ardvark reloading
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Thanks for the update MUSTANG. It won't take you long to figure out how to get the results you desire.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post

I haven't been able to fine a US source of red phosphorus that will sell to a private person. At least not in an amount more than for making a few primers to experiment with.

Maybe if you have a good friend that works in plastics business they would we willing/able to get some for you. They can easily get it that is coated so a primer mix would last along time. It's perfectly legal for a person to have/buy it. But the seller of it has to know who they are selling it to.

It isn't that hard to make, like anything that has been made since for the last few hundred years. But still work and time. I guess if a person got making down well, one would have primers even if they lived in a cave in the middle of the wilderness.

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty interesting stuff.
    Tagged to follow found this while looking for another thread.

Boolit Buddy
    There's a long one under the special projects we had going a while back that is the mother lode of info on this subject.

Boolit Master
    Should be a reloading organization where reloaders can invest in a company to startup and sell priming compound to reloaders.
    The NRA could advise on how to set up a components company.
    Just for primers.

Boolit Master
    Why Not?

On making red phosphorous, I need to get one computer up first - once it's up I should be able to find a link, or ask the people who know again, cannot reach them ATM.

It is on match striker strips on book matches etc., but not lots of it.

Boolit Bub
    Fascinating stuff! I plan on performing these same tests soon. I have been waiting on the compound for over a month at this point.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    On making red phosphorous, I need to get one computer up first - once it's up I should be able to find a link, or ask the people who know again, cannot reach them ATM.

It is on match striker strips on book matches etc., but not lots of it.
    Normally one would make white phosphorous and then heat that in a closed container to turn it into red phosphorous. There are a couple of youtube videos of guys doing both.

But in the end it takes about the same amount of equipment and effort as it would to make some of the other compound. And more than some others. But in a very bad situation it can be made from materials one would always have at hand and without needing to purchase anything. Could be done while living in a cave in the middle of Alaska.

Boolit Bub
    Exciting news! Just received my shipping notification for my Primer All. Can wait to test these with the chrono. I have in the past shot hot glue cast boolits with only a primer. May try this with the chronograph.

Boolit Bub
    I have a question for somebody that may have taken apart 22lr rounds. I have a brick of really old non collectable 22lr ammo that I am going to take apart and reload...reload to quiet, around the homestead vermin dispatching ammo. My question is has anybody taken apart without harm 22lr ammo. I was going to toss this brick but now that I am almost out of of 22 shorts I shall make the next batch...my plan is to take apart the offending 22lr...figure out why it doesn't work(assuming an issue with the priming compound that's there now)...fix the issue(reprime if necessary)...work up load using either another powder of what I take out...this may or may not work but I only need help with is the first step which is taking apart the rounds without damaging anything.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast