MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OO Buckshot thru Lee die for 308 Winchester?

Boolit Buddy

OO Buckshot thru Lee die for 308 Winchester?

Have some 00 buckshot and don't reload shotgun.

How about running it thru my Lee sizing die (.309) and shooting from my 308 with 3 grains of Bullseye?

Boolit Master
    I've heard of it working...never tried it myself....but actually plan to. The load has to be light light light as there is such little surface area to bite into and would easily skip rifling depending on which twist rate you have.

May be good for very short range but I read guys saying it skips to the target at 50 yrds...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Going from .330" to .309" will give them the shape of capsules but I'm sure that they will work at close range. Use LLA to lube them. Ive used .310" round balls for decades and they shoot well enough to hunt squirrels with.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Going from .330" to .309" will give them the shape of capsules but I'm sure that they will work at close range. Use LLA to lube them. Ive used .310" round balls for decades and they shoot well enough to hunt squirrels with.

What is your load on the .310? I got a .311 in a buy of several molds and I'm excited to get it down the tube....may use them for trainers for my kids on a 300 blk bolt gun

Boolit Master
    Following, interesting project.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't know about 308, but I have loaded them in 30-30, with out sizing them. Just flair the case mouth and seat. I lube them with Lee 'LL lube. Loaded with the 3grs of Bullseye mentioned. Shoots great out to 25 yards, for small game rabbit size, maybe even Turkey. The 30-30 has a slower twist rate then the 308. Not as loud as a 22 LR.

Boolit Grand Master
    Doing stuff like this may have made sense before but think it through.

Primers sell for $100+/1000. So you have 10 cents in the primer. With 3 gr of BE you are looking at another 1.5 cents for powder. The buckshot is worth $5/lb...so another 4 cents. Let's call it 15+ cents a shot. And it takes about an hour load 50 rounds.

If you want a "training" round for the kids and they shoot 500 rounds a month that would cost you $75 and 10 hrs of reloading. Over 6 months of training you will have invested $450 and 60 hours at the reloading bench. A good springer air gun will cost $300 and it uses pellets that cost $40/1000. So for the same 3000 shots the cost is $120...for a total cost of $420 and 60 hours of time saved.

If your kids are not strong enough to cock a springer, here is a nice CO2 rifle for $200:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beema...get_Rifle/4067

It gets 30 shots per 12 gm powerlet ($25/40) so adding the cost of pellets, the cost to shoot is $30/500....$180 for 3000 shots

Buying your kid(s) their own rifle is a really nice bonus as well.

And that $200-300 air gun will be twice as accurate as a 00 buck slug at 25 yards. One last comment...IMO an accurate gun is very important to train a new shooter. Guns that shoot poorly make it difficult for a shooter to progress. If you, "the expert" are shooting 3" groups at 25 yards, the kid shooting 4" groups thinks he is doing well. If you are shooting 1" groups, his 4" groups will force him push him to learn.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

In light of current pricing I do agree with the statement above.

Though the OP did did not ask about price, or state he was low on primers or anything so I'll try to stuck to an answer for the question asked.

I know the OP has product and wants to use it or at least know if he can use it.
    Yes it can be done. spray a little lube on them and they will size down nice. Once that's done I tumble lube mine.

I haven't fired them in .308 but I do regularly enough in a 30-30. Same idea. Just make sure they exit the bore each time. A single round ball doesn't have much weight, but the way you're using a .330" and sizing down should leave you with more bearing surface which will help get a better neck tension vs a straight round ball.

Let us know how you make out

clear...., To answer your question, and not economies derived from purchasing and using an air rifle, yes it is certainly feasible to do as you suggest. Btw, I've done this with a .375" roundball for my .357Mag. and .38Spl., reducing them to .359" and .358", respectively. Accuracy @ 25 yd., with minimum loads of Bullseye or Clays was quite good.

Boolit Master

We are thinking outside the box: love it

These loads can be assembled with large pistol primers as well. Or decapped live primers from pulled down ammo. 3 grains of Bullseye is perfect but a little of any other similar fast burning powder can work.
    Nothing against air guns, but plinking with a real hunting rifle is very cool for kids of all ages.

Boolit Master
    Agreed on current pricing but I saw this coming and stocked up for projects like this in mind.. shouldn't have to buy primers for a long long time so economics of today don't effect the price I paid over the past few years

So, you got me thinking about it. I gutted a 00B Seller & Bellot(sp) 12 gauge shell and ran the buckshot through the sizer. Obviously I was wrong about the capsule shape....
    The S&B buckshot was a little cobby so they have a little finning around the "base".
    Swaged buckshot would probably look better.
    Nevertheless, I've tumble lubed them and they will be loaded over 3 grs of Bullseye in 30-40 Krag ( it's easy to use as a single shot)
    And we will see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I would say, to be sure and tumble lube them, or at least get some kind of lube on them. Afterwards, you don’t have to decrease the powder charge, but can start carefully increasing it if you want, because the boolit is really light.

Boolit Master
    So, you got me thinking about it. I gutted a 00B Seller & Bellot(sp) 12 gauge shell and ran the buckshot through the sizer. Obviously I was wrong about the capsule shape....
    The S&B buckshot was a little cobby so they have a little finning around the "base".
    Nevertheless, I've tumble lubed them and they will be loaded over 3 grs of Bullseye in 30-40 Krag ( it's easy to use as a single shot)

That looks like it's going to be alot of fun!!

Boolit Buddy
    Fiddled with a similar project a short time ago with .311” round balls in a .30 caliber rifle, case based in a .357 mag. Velocity ranged from 900-1440 FPS with 4 different loads, groups were in the 1” range for 5 shots each. Ball was seated and a small bit of SPG lube placed on the ball/case mouth junction.

Did a similar thing 20 years back with a .44 mag rifle. .430” balls were sized to .420” and paper patched. Velocity ran from 1200-1800 fps before it went south. Groups were in the 2” range at 50 yds.

Boolit Master

I would enjoy hearing from this experience.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Maybe you should reload shotgun -- have you tried buying 00 buck rounds?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    A few of them with you when hunting would be great for popping a grouse for dinner instead of blowing it to a pile of feathers. 15 cents is cheap to have a grouse gun and a deer rifle in one unit. I have used them in my Tok just to see if they would work and they do. It's thinking like this that has produced many of things we have today.

Boolit Master
    Quote----"A few of them with you when hunting would be great for popping a grouse for dinner instead of blowing it to a pile of feathers."

Choot em in the head!!!
    R.D.M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast