MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: "38/357 Die 7/8 Thread"

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

"38/357 Die 7/8 Thread"

That was the description of this die "set". It's for sale on FB. Does this "set" look right to you, or am I seeing things. Feel free to zoom in. I asked the seller to post a few more pictures of the writing on the dies. I hope you can see it now.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimkim; 02-01-2021 at 07:29 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    No pic

Boolit Master
    Think your missing the expanding die. The 3rd die looks like a rifle length die possibly a size die.

Boolit Master
    The one on left looks like my 38-357 resizing die other 2 look funny.

Boolit Master
    That has 2 Lee dies it looks like a sizer and bullet seating die and not sure what the die on the right is it looks like another brand of sizer (Hornady ? ) has been substituted for the powder through expander .

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Definitely not the correct dies and a clear misrepresentation of product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Anymore than $10.00 go out and get a new set from RCBS, Hornady, or Lyman!

$10.00 is a lot for that set, the right die and box are keepers the other two
    are fodder for a land fill!

Boolit Master
    To my eye there are two sizer dies. The one on the right has an exterior resembling a New Dimension Hornady die and has a decapping pin protruding. The top of that die does not have anything showing as would be customary with a New Dimension sizer or decapper die though.

The other two dies are representative of Lee dies.

A real hodgepodge at best.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Nope mixed set I think there is two sizing does not sure about the middle die .
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

Somebody had the Lee set, then upgraded to Hornady Dimension dies, but kept the Lee PTED...and now they are selling the Lee dies they aren't using with the Hornady Expander die.
    well, that's what it looks like to me, as I am someone who mixes and matches die, for optimal reloading...But I don't sell the 'extra' dies, and I may need them someday...Or I'd clearly explain what I'm selling if I sell a mixed set.

With today's current price craziness, if the dies are sold separately, the Lee Carbide size die is worth at least $20, probably more. the other two dies are worth about $10 each. I see newbies on FB reloading groups that can't find die sets, so they are piecing die sets together, so there is surely a market for single dies.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    The left die is a lee sizing die, the center die is a lee factory crimp/seater die, the one one the right I have no idea.

Later,
    Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

The one on the right appears to have a decapping stem/pin sticking out the bottom. ? manufacturer and perhaps including a flaring feature. The other two look like Lee dies. A cobbeled together "set". IF (and that is a big IF) you are in dire need, or have the set in your hands and have a good bit of experience, pass on this set.

I quit buying used from a pic or without having them in my hands 30 years ago when I bought a set, RCBS from a sorta fuzzy pic on ebay. The dies I got looked like a dyslexic caveman had used them armed only with channel locks. Not wanting to bother with sending them back, and perhaps being a lifelong machinist/mechanic I took them on as a challenge, I repaired the distorted and gouged threads, replaced the rounded lock nuts and all the rounded socket set screwsm and cleaned up the pliers gouges.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    The left die is a lee sizing die, the center die is a lee factory crimp/seater die, the one one the right I have no idea.

Later,
    Stephen
    I do believe the center die is the standard bullet seating crimp die not the FCD the bevel on the bottom is so it will work with the Lee bullet feeder .

Boolit Master
    should have a shell holder and dipper in a complete set .the rh die is a mystery.

The die on the right looks like its a new generation Hornady body, but if that's a de prime stem sticking out,
    but there should be a stem for it coming out from the top.

If it was me, I'd pass on it unless you really need a Lee sizer and its cheap.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If the price is good enough it may be worthwhile, for a spell I was gathering up .38/357 sets, not so much for the sizer, but for the seating dies. I have a seat die set up for each of my most popular bullets to cut down on the set up time. For expanding I don't use the lee ones much as I'm loading cast and have M dies for expanding.

Hopefully the OP gets a picture of the odd die markings.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I zoomed in on the one in the middle. It looks like it has "38 auto" stamped on it. I was thinking the one on the right was a New Dimension flaring die, but it's huge. Then I noticed the pin thing(looks more like a rod to me, could just be the shadow) sticking out the bottom. Now it kinda reminds me of a primer pocket swaging die. I was trying to find some dies for a new reloader, but I didn't like how this looked. I was hoping it was just me. Thanks again for your help.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    One thing about it ..... in this time of frenzied buying by noobs ...... somebody is gonna pull that trigger and we can only wish them the best!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”