RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Octagon revolver barrel

Boolit Buddy

Question Octagon revolver barrel

As some of you know I'm having a Ruger Blackhawk rechambered to .41 Long Colt.
    I was looking at my 1851 Colt Navy with its octagon barrel.
    I thought an octagon barrel would look really good on this Blackhawk.
    Does anyone know where I could get a .40 cal octagon revolver barrel?
    Finished length will be 5 inches so a 6 inch blank would be fine.
    Also, steel, not stainless.
    Thanks,
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

No guarantees, but try Green Mountain. You might have to contact them, as they have a lot to offer on their website, so the answer may not be obvious just by looking.

If your gunsmith has a milling machine and dividing head it's pretty easy to make one from a blank.

Boolit Grand Master

Going with the Octagon contour on a single action (8 flats) may require some fancy work getting the ejector to line up correctly and look right. A Hex would naturally line up and be centered in the flat.

I have considered a tapered hex on a single action barrel at around .005 per inch. On the 7 1/2 inch barrel this would end up being about .035 smaller at the muzzle.

I current;y have the material list ready to order to make a sine table similar to what was used on the old horizontal mills I will be able to mount a vise rotary table or dividing head and tails stock to it on center line. There will be a center pin to pivot on and a pin 10" from center line to set taper. With this set up .005 taper per Inch ( TPI) is .0025 on a side so on the 10" center .025 between pin and side gets you right where you need to be.This will also allow the front sight base to be machined on the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC Ross Seyfried did one with a Damascus octagon sleeve over a round barrel on a Ruger Vaquero. It did look sharp in the magazine article.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Well, my gunsmith has Green Mountain octagon barrel on it's way.
    Dang, now I'm really getting anxious to get this revolver in my hands.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a winner! Please share some pictures when it's done.

Boolit Buddy

I hope to.
    This project is in it's 6th year! If nothing else it has and is teaching me patience.
    It will also have 4 cylinders. 1 in .41 Long Colt, 1 in .38/40, 1 in .40 S&W, and 1 in 10mm.
    Looking forward to trying it out, believe me.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    Benjamin Franklin