Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

View Poll Results: What do you do with your original packaging?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pitch at once. My superb reloading area has a place for everything.

9 15.79%
  • I keep them because I just know I'll use them someday.

22 38.60%
  • I keep them for a long long time then pitch when my other stuff needs the space

23 40.35%
  • I pitch but lay awake at night worrying I'll regret it.

2 3.51%
  • I re-use with this simple genius trick that is blowing up the internet.

2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who keeps original packaging

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Pitch at once got enough junk as it is.

I am not a hoarder of useless stuff, only the good stuff stays.
    /\ I'm in this camp. Unless the packaging is special or somehow useful, it goes.

Generally speaking, packaging exists to get the item from manufacturer, to retail, to consumer. Once the item reaches the consumer, the job of the packaging is over.

I save some packaging that's useful but the bulk of it goes as soon as its job is done.

All depends. I still have my Dillon box. It is long enough it is a small square shelf sitting on it's end. And I keep my gun's boxes. (and lee mold boxes.)
    But almost everything else is either reused to ship stuff, or trashed if not a good size or too big. My daughter fusses as I reuse all kinds of boxes to ship my stuff in. But I'd rather reuse free box than trash them. Two uses is better than only one.

Boolit Master

I try to keep all original packaging if I can..

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I store as many my moulds in OM boxes as I can Lee , NOE , Lyman , and RCBS .
    Dad had his Pacific Hornady 008 press still in box but it spent a lot more time there than set up .
    I've kept the new gun boxes .
    I have so much stuff jambed in such a small space . I can't keep too much extra stuff .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I keep for a long long time then pitch

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have the original packing boxes my Sansui component stereo came in from 1972! And most other boxes. I just cut the tape, fold them up, and stick them in the attic. Never know when one might need it for a "As New" ebay sale!

banger

Really depends what it is and the type of packaging it is. All gun boxes are kept in the rafters of the shop. If its something i only use for seasonally, original packaging makes storage a whole lot easier, faster and more compact.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

I keep the packing to anything mechanical or electrical in case the need to return or resell arises. When the item is eventually replaced, the old packaging is also replaced with the new. I write the date of purchase on the box, owner's manual, and receipt. If an item breaks, I find the box first (that tells me whether it's warranty or not). If not warranty, the box goes out with the item. If warranty I find the paperwork and start the claim process.

Boolit Master
    I still have the original box my first shotgun came in, a Remington 1100, back in 1967. Don't have the original receipt, but I vividly remember I paid $180. Which was full retail at the time. In 1971, I traded it for a 30-06 700, which I still have.

I seem to save most stuff so it can be in the way, and gather dust & spider webs for about two years.
    Then I throw it away.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I keep gun and scope boxes just in case I ever trade or sell them. They also make it easier to keep up with whatever books, instructions, decals, ect that come with them.

I keep most of my surplus brass in the plastic cans that Folgers Coffee comes in. I keep my surplus cast bullets in the plastic jugs that coffee sweeter comes in. (not mine) A buddies Wife saves them from her office for me.

I like the pictures that some of you post of the square containers that you use but I hardly ever buy anything that comes in them. I got a jump start on the coffee cans that I use from work. I even gave a buddy 2 large trash bags of them to get him started.

Boolit Master
    I kept the Nikon and Starette boxes. Also the one for the color printer in case it has to go back to the factory. Would love to throw it out but figure the printer would need service right after I do. All other boxes get kept until I'm sure the product not going back, then out it goes.

Bullet storage is all recycled packaging.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I so use those Folger's plastic coffee cans, I keep a stack for sorting brass into when I have a mixed lot, either of caliber or headstamp mix.

Bullets go into 30 caliber ammo cans that slide under the bottom shelf of the bench. Label at the end to see what caliber each one is and slide them out to get what I need. When I have more than one mold there will be more than one baggie of bullets in the can.

I can move a 30 caliber can of lead, a 50 caliber can, eh? not so much. I had to purchase them but just kept an eye out for good prices on them and picked up some more as I came across deals or good quality ones. Have enough "open" slots for 2 or 3 more calibers, or second box of an existing caliber.

I also spent the coin to buy those shoe box sized plastic containers. They fit where I need them, easy to stick a paper label on the end with caliber or other relevant information (x fired, prepped ready to load, etc.) I'm not sure it wasn't a bit of a waste but they fit my shelves well, provide an organized appearance even without my actually having them organized. I mean "Range P/U rifle" is a label that looks organized even if I have no clue what rifle brass is in those bins I'm sure I thought it was useful and will sort it out eventually.

I share space in basement with wife. Looking like, or rather NOT looking like my garage helps keep my bench welcome inside where the temperature is much nicer now than it would be in the garage. Those containers provide an overall organized look to things. For the purpose of spousal harmony that matters.

I think about half of the plastic single die body tubes are going bye-bye. I use the two die flat plastic cases to store the individual dies but I could possibly want them for selling. Just don't think I'll ever want all of them, the estate can sell the push through sizer die with the reloading dies.

The red & white Lee boxes I'm going to go through and probably cull some to the trash and flatten the others, I can put them back together if I need them. I have dreams of hauling a pile of "stuff" (non-reloading) out to garage sale in the spring, with none of it coming back, curb or Salvation Army for what doesn't sell. If I manage to clear out the stuff like empty containers I don't use or need post garage sale my basement might actually look decently organized. Without it simply migrating to the garage or shed to make a mess there.

A mans reach should exceed his grasp else what is heaven for? If not to strive toward. Cleaned organized basement may not get you to heaven but it sure can't hurt, and will keep the wife and kids from cussing about you so much after your gone.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12