Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: who taught you to cast boolits?

Boolit Buddy
    The people on Cast Boolits!

Yep. Between this website and YouTube, I have been enjoying the hobby for six years now. I blend an approximation of Lyman #2 alloy from a variety of scrap or reclaimed materials and cast for pistol and rifle.

Boolit Master

My dad.

Sadly, I just helped him with his last boolit order. He has been a subcontractor for the past several years or more for a company that sells cast boolits. Most people here are familiar with them. He usually casts around 40,000+ boolits a year. The other main guy for the company does around 30,000 a month. That's a lot of lead!

So my dad taught me how to cast so I could help him when he injured his shoulder a few years ago. Turns out I enjoyed it.

Now, he is 83, had a major stroke a few months ago, and can't carry the 50 lb blocks of lead inside from his SUV. Plus, his two lead pots are about due for replacement, and he said they have doubled in price and are backordered until September. And the cost of lube and lead has gone up enough that he just doesn't make much anymore.

So he had one last order for 3000 boolits and I came over and cast about 800 of them for him, plus got his lead out of the car and stacked it on his bench.

Attachment 284213
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I am self taught. No internet when I started. If there was I couldn't have afforded it or known how to use it.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789