Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Derimming 22 lr Solution

Banned

Derimming 22 lr Solution

I have a huge problem derimming the 22 lr brass for jackets. When I derim the brasses, I have a whole lot of them at the base with what seems like a crack after derimming them. I assume that’s bad and cast them away. How do you remedy that problem? I remember seeing someone’s thread here somewhere about annealing before derimming it so that way it most of the brass won’t go to waste. Can someone tell me more about that?

Boolit Master

who's die are you using. sounds more like the tolerances are off. if you anneal before derimming you will have lots of ripped cases.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Would more or different lube help?
    I have no trouble with cracking, but I use plenty of sizing/swaging lube on my fingers when feeding the cases.

Banned
    I suppose saying “crack” is probably a bit more exaggerated on my part. The part where the rim is struck by the firing pin seems to leave a little opening after derimming. I’ll shine a flashlight through the case and can definitely see a little opening as the light passes through the tiny little opening. I am going to assume that it is bad and should probably toss it.

Boolit Master

wont hurt a thing. maybe not a benchrest candidate but they will work just fine.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Die maybe dirty? If it is it will cause more drag on the case causing the damage?

Boolit Buddy
    That little firing pin dent... or the ring around where the rim used to be... or the faint shadow of the maker's head stamp... they all give our custom swaged little projectiles "character."

Boolit Buddy
    Try using a q-tip with lube on the inside of the case before derimming the case.

Boolit Master
    Are you annealing before? If so I would anal after.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    wont hurt a thing. maybe not a benchrest candidate but they will work just fine.
    Okay that’s nice to know. I won’t be tossing them in the scrap bin after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Faret View Post
    Die maybe dirty? If it is it will cause more drag on the case causing the damage?
    Checked the die to make sure it wasn’t. Found that it is squeaky clean.

Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    Try using a q-tip with lube on the inside of the case before derimming the case.
    I’ll try to give that a shot and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Are you annealing before? If so I would anal after.
    I tried it both ways and seems that the case still produced the little opening every so often. Though the annealed then derim route caused the brass to stick somewhat but easier to vise grip it off compared to the normal route. Less effort to derim it when annealed versus after anealing.

Boolit Master

The cut on the base is caused when the case was fired in the rifle. Some rifles hit a little harder than others. If you are using cases from range pickup your splits will be all over the place. As has been said still a usable jacket. It has nothing to do with annealing or your draw die

Boolit Master

I tumble wash the rimfire cases to get rid of the glass and other abrasives.
    Next, I heat my 22 rimfire cases for annealing and then dump them into cold water.
    Then dry, then de-rim.
    No issues
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95