Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Point forming die cutter.

Boolit Bub

Point forming die cutter.

Anyone built a tool to cut the ogive in a die? What steel did you start with and how did you harden it? Then how did you sharpen it so it would cut. I may be out in right field if a novice could do this on a mill and a lathe. Or can you just buy the tool like you buy a chucking die.

Boolit Master

I have fooled around with the process, but can not claim success.
    I know that BTSniper buys his reamers from a company that specialize in reamers but do not know who.

There are videos on making D style reamers with a single cutting edge. But no, being obstinate, I want multiple flutes. Learned pretty quickly I did not have the technology to measure the diameter of 3 flute reamers.

Used O-1 tool steel. Turned the shape of a bullet on the O-1 in the lathe. Put the turning in a collet held in a hexagon collet block, in the mill made a cut with the edge just short of the center line. Did the same 2 more times at 120 and 240 degrees.

Put the collet block in the bench vise, and with diamond file, counting strokes, provided relief on the back side of each flute.

Heated my little reamer to non-magnetic and dropped it in a can of used motor oil. Then baked it at 400 for two hours. Twice.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

I made one, or should I say attempted to make one based on a series threads made by Cane_man, a couple of years ago. By the time I finished I had this huge mix of parts that may have worked, however controlling the radaii for the ojive was the key issue. Huge tool trying to control small radius.
    Bill

Making 30 Cal Dies Cane_man

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=30+cal+dies
    Last edited by just bill; 02-03-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks just bill. A good read. I don't have to make my own tools. Just like the idea I can. Dave Manson would probably make what I want for a fair price.

Boolit Bub
    This guy seems to have found an easy way to make point cutting tools. He sounds very tired in this video and almost incoherent but his videos show more on how he makes these cutters. (All of his videos are very poor quality) I believe the ideas are good though;

Frosted Boolits

Does he have any videos actually producing swaged bullets? I started watching his videos and I kind of lost interest when he said the the drills are never on size and always smaller than what they are suppose to be. Also noticed that only one flute on his “bullet drill” was cutting. Notice chips only coming up one flute?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master

When making a drill or reamer. coat the tip in lay out blue before backing it off. This way you can see and maintain the line as you go.

Boolit Master

I posted a link to 4 blade carbide bits for drilling tile and glass that look interesting for cutting ogives.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Does he have any videos actually producing swaged bullets? I started watching his videos and I kind of lost interest when he said the the drills are never on size and always smaller than what they are suppose to be. Also noticed that only one flute on his “bullet drill” was cutting. Notice chips only coming up one flute?
    Last edited by Cris T; 01-24-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Link doesn’t work!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Link doesn’t work!
    Fixed. All his videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/@Traffer/videos

Boolit Man
    If you have a CNC lathe making reamers is easy , I use a program called CamBam to produce the ogive and then a modified facing program to cut the flutes .
    To heat treat you can use a kiln but it is easier to just chuck the reamer in a pillar drill or mill and while turning it very slowly heat with a blow torch until it's red and then quench it by offering up a pot of fluid , I use silver steel for my reamers so I can use salt water for quenching , other metals may require oil, offer up the fluid and quench the part while still turning it but remove the pot straight away and allow the part to cool , this eliminates the need for tempering .
    To sharpen the reamer you need to relieve most of the back edge of each flute , this can be done with a belt sander but you must be careful not to get the part too hot .
    I hope this helps.

Dave