WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: WTB Octagon barrel.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

WTB Octagon barrel.

Looking for a .408 OR a .410 groove barrel I can rechamber. Prefer a 28-34" length with a 1:16 twist.

Please PM if you have something you would like to move, rechambering a Remington marked Swede roller currently chambered in 8x58RD. Hoping someone has a barrel collecting dust in a corner.

Does anyone know much about Borchardt Rifle Corp. down in Silver City New Mexico? His business is not to far from me here in Concho.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by MOA; 02-02-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Wow. No one has any barrels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Man
    Give C. Sharps Arms a call they sometimes have take-off barrels for sale.

Boolit Master
    I have a 36" octagon barrel marked G.R. Douglas 40 cal
    It was apparently for a muzzleloader, as it is threaded at what I would think would be the breach end, and has been obviously cut off at 36".
    Best I can tell, it is a 1 in 68 or 70 twist, and although I'm not the most talented reader of micrometers, when I slugged it, I got .406x.422.
    I realize it's not what you were asking for specifically, but thought I would at least throw it out there!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    If I were going to go to all the trouble to rebarrel a roller with an octagon barrel, I'd probably contact Green Mountain Barrels and get a new one. I've got three of their octagon barrels, a 25-20 SS being put on a low wall and 32-40 and 45-70 barrels on high walls.

In answer to your question about Borchardt Rifle Co, Al is a great guy and the only other employee I know there is also one of the good guys. If I lived as close by as you do, I would at least stop by.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Got some 45's taken off sharps. If I wanted a .40 I would go with Green mountain, already octagon barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 38-72 View Post
    Give C. Sharps Arms a call they sometimes have take-off barrels for sale.
    38-72, I will. Never thought about doing that. Will give update as to that avenue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I have a 36" octagon barrel marked G.R. Douglas 40 cal
    It was apparently for a muzzleloader, as it is threaded at what I would think would be the breach end, and has been obviously cut off at 36".
    Best I can tell, it is a 1 in 68 or 70 twist, and although I'm not the most talented reader of micrometers, when I slugged it, I got .406x.422.
    I realize it's not what you were asking for specifically, but thought I would at least throw it out there!!

Don
    Thank you Don. Yes, it is a muzzleloader barrel and will not stabilize 400 grain boolits I'd be using in my cartridge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If I were going to go to all the trouble to rebarrel a roller with an octagon barrel, I'd probably contact Green Mountain Barrels and get a new one. I've got three of their octagon barrels, a 25-20 SS being put on a low wall and 32-40 and 45-70 barrels on high walls.

In answer to your question about Borchardt Rifle Co, Al is a great guy and the only other employee I know there is also one of the good guys. If I lived as close by as you do, I would at least stop by.

Froggie
    Thanks Froggie. I spoke with Morgan and at this time (last Thursday) they had no octagon barrels for my rebarrel at this time and could not give me a time for when they might.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Another option would be having Jess rebore a smaller caliber barrel of modern steel for your project. I have had him do many for me, including a Marlin 336 to .405 Jess and a Mauser to .400 Whelen—both of which use a bore and twist dimensions you are seeking. His work is incredibly quick and first quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Asleep View Post
    Another option would be having Jess rebore a smaller caliber barrel of modern steel for your project. I have had him do many for me, including a Marlin 336 to .405 Jess and a Mauser to .400 Whelen—both of which use a bore and twist dimensions you are seeking. His work is incredibly quick and first quality.
    Unfortunately I have no other smaller rifle calibers available to have Jesse rebore to my target caliber.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    What caliber are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    What caliber are you looking for?
    Chambering is 40-65 Winchester. Using necked down 45-70 brass. Shooting cast 300 to 400 grain boolits. 16" twist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Thats a good one, also 40/60 Maynard, run a 40/70 SS reamer in 2.220 and make the cas out of 30/40 krag blown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    Thats a good one, also 40/60 Maynard, run a 40/70 SS reamer in 2.220 and make the cas out of 30/40 krag blown out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_125407_HDR(1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	276805
    30-40 krag brass blown out and trimmed 2.21

Name:	20210114_125502(1).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	276806
    Some .412 cast at 288 grain. My express boolit.

Name:	20210115_125252(1).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	276807
    40-65 400 grain powered by BP

My krag brass right after annealing but before fire forming.

Will use for resizing necks until I get some dies made from a chamber cast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Pm sent

In Remembrance
    I have a new Green Mountain barrel blank in 40 caliber and 1:16" twist. It is a heavy barrel, 1-1/8" across flats. If this would interest you, please PM me. Thanks.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM