Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill press table replacement

Drill press table replacement

This may sound stupid but ,I think it's called the table it's the platform that clamps around the 2" or so tube in the back raises up and down I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about . But anyways mines a casting and it broke where it clamps onto the tube and I need to replace it . Do they sell a generic replacement anywhere I'm sure it would need to be tube dia specific . I'd google it but like I said I'm not sure the correct name of it
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I fixed a vice that broke by brazing it back together, you might try that.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    You're right, it's called a table. Since it seems every drill press is different, the best option may be to use the make/model of the drill press to find the OEM replacement.

Not sure where you would find a replacement table. Harbor Freight still has their cheap little press for about $70, maybe the column would be the same diameter.

edit: Just checked my little HF drill press. The column is 1.80" diameter.
    Last edited by BamaNapper; 01-27-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    Many, many drill presses parted out on ebay. You can find your part there or order one from the manufacturer.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    if you don't weld, you might try taking it to a welder to get an opinion on repair

Boolit Master

SHOULD YOU BRAZE/WELD- TRY TO GET IT LINED UP- FLAT sorry-- either during repair or check afterwards. It might not be square and hole get off, that kind of thing

It's a black and decker 8" 1.9" pipe on it probably 25-30 years old

Boolit Master
    I repaired my beater drill press table with JB weld. Cleaned up the pieces well, took the shaft off and placed it in a vice. Set the table on the top of the vice upside down and put the pieces back together with cold weld. Held the whole works together with a couple of pipe clamps. Seems to still be functional after a decade or so.

p.s. I did coat the shaft with vaseline as a release agent.
    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Chances are its cast iron and while it can be welded its tricky and needs special "care" when welding.A snug fitting slug should be turned up to hold everything in alignment. then veed out for weld or braze. then pre heated to normalize for the operation. clamped up and welded. Special rods for cast iron are needed.

There is a strong chance that it may be cast aluminum even more tricky.

If theres room top and bottom you may try fitting a ring around the outside 3/16-1/4" wall thickness. 3/4"-1" wide.clean up part and epoxy creack and rings in place one the column. Let sure then split in line with original.

Boolit Buddy
    My small drill press table would not stay level and the fix was to take 4 sections of all thread and washers and nuts and use them in a squire pattern on the bottom table with washers and nuts to make the all thread snug and use more washers and nuts to hold the top table level even if the spindle is not square with the table it can be adjusted so that it is .

Boolit Master
    My larger floor model had the cast table break, I ordered a new one from HF. In the mean time, I brazed it, the new one eventually came, but I am not sure I even replaced the one I repaired.

I would get a good measurement on your post and find a currently produced model with the same shaft size and order that.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

This sounds like you have the perfect reason why you 'need' to get a new, bigger, and better one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I would braze it. It could be welded but that is much more difficult and requires nickle rod ( expensive). Without the proper equipment and experience you probably want to find one with the proper tube size.

Boolit Buddy
    Depending on what all you use it for you could make one out of wood that is adjustable. My dad picked up a floor standing 15 speed drill press for cheap that I'll be doing that with.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll jump on the bandwagon for brazing

Once fixed - support the table if you are going to use it as an arbor press (how they usually get cracked)

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Yeah that looks close to it , replacement collar is obsolete according to that site . If I had all the parts I would have someone attempt to braze it but I'm missing half the collar . This happened about 2 years ago . Now that I know what it's called I'll see if I can find something to work better than a stack of 2x8's that I've been using to

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Yeah that looks close to it , replacement collar is obsolete according to that site . If I had all the parts I would have someone attempt to braze it but I'm missing half the collar . This happened about 2 years ago . Now that I know what it's called I'll see if I can find something to work better than a stack of 2x8's that I've been using to
    Sounds like repair is out. I think you're in the camp of replacing the part OR replacing the entire drill press.

If you can find an inexpensive replacement table, that's not a bad option but I would recommend setting a hard limit on how much money you would be willing to commit to that old drill press.
    If it was a high end industrial grade or machine shop type press, the repair cost could be justifiably higher. A 25-30 year old consumer grade drill press is certainly repairable but if the repair cost approaches the cost of a new one; what are you gaining?

I picked up a Delta drill press at a second hand store for less than half the cost of a comparable new model. The quill was tight, motor was fine, it had very little wear.
    I would seriously recommend looking for a used drill press.
    Shop new ones, get an idea want they go for and then check out the same models on the used market. You might be surprised what you can find.

Boolit Master
    you could maybe put a different type of table from underneath , the table is major part of a drill press and probably without another of the same model to get a table, for what a part will cost you might just find another machine. save the powerhead, chuck up a reamer bit and use it to process brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast