Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Tight neck no- turn chamber reaming

Boolit Master

Tight neck no- turn chamber reaming

I'm interested in cutting a couple 223 Remington chambers with a friend for strictly j word shooting and find the idea of a tight neck to be very interesting & no turning to be even more interesting . I am planning on calling Pacific tool and gauge to talk with them about neck length + thought length for the preferred bullets .
    Just wondering how it turned out for anyone that tried it . A little truing up the neck would not bother me to much but it would be nice to not need to do it .
    Any information would be appreciated .

Boolit Grand Master
    You might be able to go with a zero freebore for the throat if you are using lighter weight bullets, say 40, 50 or 53 gr vmax. Heavy stuff will need some throat length.

Vendor Sponsor

Good luck with PT&G Try JGS reamers.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on JGS. I would avoid a tight neck .223 unless you are using commercial brass all of one lot, or you measure every case neck for thickness and sort to maintain not less than 0.0015" radial release clearance in a bolt gun.Safest is to avoid military brass and just order the minimum dimensioned standard velocity and pressure barrel reamer. A custom reamer and headspace gages ran $300 the last time I bought one.

Forget this idea entirely if shooting an AR.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Unless you are building a dedicated bench rest competition gun to shoot 100-yard groups consistently measuring less than 0.1" CTC, the hassles and dangers of a fitted (tight) neck chamber are not worth your while.

Boolit Master
    I’m looking to chamber 2 rifle barrels in 12 twist to shoot 52 gr bullets . I guess I’ll just have to learn to love neck turning .
    I have no experience with JGS so it can’t hurt to look into it , but I have had pretty good experiences with PT&G for standard chamber’s .
    The goal is shooting under a inch at 250 yards .

Boolit Grand Master

Also look at manson reamers, ave does a great job and has done a couple wildcat reamers for me.

On the tight necked reamers "no turn" is not a good thing due to the variances in neck wall thickness. You want the neck dia smaller than he smallest loaded neck dia for 2 reasons 1) No factory loaded or standard case can be chambered, creating a no expansion firing. 2) this insures enough material to clean up the neck. An example of this is my 243 factory neck dia is .272 my tight neck is .268.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Many years ago I had access to several .223 and 5.56mm barrels fitted to a Hart 1A action with McMillan stock and 36X Leupold which were used for ammunition testing at the Marine Corps Development Center. Barrels were made by B.J. Obermeyer and alternately had normal SAAMI .223 Remington rifling spec with 12" twist and SAAMI P/V chamber, another of the same SAAMI rifling specs. but with the military 5.56mm accuracy and pressure test barrel chamber, also in 12" twist, then a third with 7" twist of government form chambered to the NATO pressure barrel spec. for SS109/M855.

Firing handloads using Berger or selected lots of Sierra match bullets any of the barrels with standard chambers would fire ten-shot, 3-4 cm (1.18"-1.5") groups at 300 metres firing from a return to battery rest in a tunnel. Statistically average lots of WCC M193 which produced an acceptance Mean Radius of 2.4 to 2.6" at 200 yards gave roughly twice the dispersion of the match bullets handloads when fired from the 12" twist barrels and about 3 times when fired from the 1:7". FC65 XM287 68-grain heavy ball leftover from the Stoner program and FN SS109 in the 1:7 did about the same.

None of the US-produced M855 available from LC at that time would do any better than 20cm at 300 metres as a long run average.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-25-2021 at 08:19 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Well I guess we are going to go with turning down the case neck to fit a tight neck chamber .
    I appreciate mentioning the safety aspect of a chamber that would accept a standard round but not be safe to fire it , my buddy and myself are getting up in age so who's to say what will happen in the future . The barrels will be marked for safety reasons .
    So a custom reamer will be ordered , now it gets more complicated . I'm going to take a couple rounds with the necks turned to what we have decided to use along with the bullet of choice seated to the desired length , I guess this will now open up the discussion of not only clearance but throat , free bore as well .
    I talked to Dave K. at PT&G he seamed to be willing to make what ever I would like and help me along in the decision of what was needed .
    I will contact JGS as well but I will get a little more detailed information on what I want the end product to be first .
    This is something my friend and I have wanted to do for years being he's my senior by 10 years and I'm in my mind 50s we better got to it pretty soon .
    All advice is appreciated

Boolit Grand Master

You are well on your way to having what you want. Work with PT&G. Let them know the use, end results and expectations first. Keep in mind short throats lead angles and such are short lived due to erosion and wear. They may have a design on hand thats what you want. I would also recomend purchasing the reamer so that in the future any new barrels rifles can be cut with the same reamer